Boiler choices. | Boilers | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler choices. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expensive!

Still have reservations about the boiler, HW not fantastic - I'm convinced the plate hex isn't big enough. Am revisiting the boiler on Friday and will report back then.
What did ideal say today Tom?

What did ideal say today Tom?

Engineer came and fitted new PCB with "altered HW parameters" which even he didnt understand, and throttled CW down into boiler.

Need to see how it's performing on Friday, as before it was running off pre-heat water then taking another minute to get HW to taps. Engineer said he thought boiler was struggling to keep up due to a slow/low fire.

I'm going to fit a combi save valve as the customer thinks its a good idea anyway, aye this will help the HW runoff.

Ideal rep is keen to help, and is determined for the customer to be happy, but I'm not sure how they would go about it. She asked for my opinion and I told her I didn't think the plate hex is big enough if it can't retain water long enough to heat it sufficiently. I'm sure a logic 35 would be better in the same situation, even though on paper, the specs are very similar.

Engineer came and fitted new PCB with "altered HW parameters" which even he didnt understand, and throttled CW down into boiler.

Need to see how it's performing on Friday, as before it was running off pre-heat water then taking another minute to get HW to taps. Engineer said he thought boiler was struggling to keep up due to a slow/low fire.

I'm going to fit a combi save valve as the customer thinks its a good idea anyway, aye this will help the HW runoff.

Ideal rep is keen to help, and is determined for the customer to be happy, but I'm not sure how they would go about it. She asked for my opinion and I told her I didn't think the plate hex is big enough if it can't retain water long enough to heat it sufficiently. I'm sure a logic 35 would be better in the same situation, even though on paper, the specs are very similar.
Bloody hell Tom hassle or what? Bet you wished you had fit a logic 35 now or 831 .....ideal need to nail this and fast!

I do indeed! I don't think I'll be touching another one of these tbh. Not worth it.

UPDATE. The lovely new rep at ideal has offered me/my customer, a 40kw vogue to replace the 32, free of charge. Excellent customer services IMO, very impressed.

I've come to the conclusion that the problem with the vogue is the slow take off and the modulating pump not allowing the p2p to heat up enough. They've sacrificed hot water performance for energy efficiency.

Hi Tom

Very good service, as you say, but they aren't going to be doing that for everyone!

Am I understanding you correctly that Ideal say the boiler is acting as designed, and just has a very poor DHW flow rate for its kw rating?

Hi Tom

Very good service, as you say, but they aren't going to be doing that for everyone!

Am I understanding you correctly that Ideal say the boiler is acting as designed, and just has a very poor DHW flow rate for its kw rating?

Yes you would be correct. They must be in agreement that something isn't right or they wouldn't be addressing the problem in such a way.

By contrast I fitted a 30kw logic on Monday and under similar circumstances the HW was fantastic. It seems the vogue doesn't want to produce any more than a 35 degree rise in the water temp, whereas most other boilers can easily exceed this in the real world.

Yes you would be correct. They must be in agreement that something isn't right or they wouldn't be addressing the problem in such a way.

By contrast I fitted a 30kw logic on Monday and under similar circumstances the HW was fantastic. It seems the vogue doesn't want to produce any more than a 35 degree rise in the water temp, whereas most other boilers can easily exceed this in the real world.

Interesting, I take it the boiler takes a input to regulate Hw temp from both a thermistor and also flow sensor like the logic, can you hear the burner rate increase as you increase water flow?

Interesting, I take it the boiler takes a input to regulate Hw temp from both a thermistor and also flow sensor like the logic, can you hear the burner rate increase as you increase water flow?

Can't really hear anything roger, boiler is too quiet! Lol.

It uses a turbine to measure flow, but funny thing is, when I was getting 15l/m at full rate through boiler, display was only registering 12.

Can't really hear anything roger, boiler is too quiet! Lol.

It uses a turbine to measure flow, but funny thing is, when I was getting 15l/m at full rate through boiler, display was only registering 12.

I wonder if that is the issue then, i certainly remember them saying on the logic course that the firing rate for hw has a input from the hw flow sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

hello, old post but what did you go with in...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 131795
D
Get a few more quotes, if the system worked...
Replies
Views
No, decided to go for Viessmann Vitodens 100-W...
Replies
Views
There's nothing wrong with external boilers...
Replies
Views
Main eco, Baxi 600 or 800 5, 7 or 10 years...
Replies
Views
Back