Boiler on/off cycle 20 seconds | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler on/off cycle 20 seconds in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JBart

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum as a user but I've been taking some info from it lately. Although I didn't find the answer for this problem:

My boiler is a Myson Apollo 40Si about 10 years old. My landlord serviced it almost 2 years ago. Because of the cold weather I changed the thermostat to high. The water came out really hot and the radiators are hot too. The only problem is that the boiler on off cycle (fire, re-fire) is about 20 seconds!!! i.e. is working for 20 seconds, stops 20 seconds and refire again and so on... Is this normal? I think I'm wasting too much gas and imagine if I have my boiler on all night with this short cycles.

Can anyone give me a hint of possible problems?

Thanks for your help

JBart

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you are lucky it works ok on high ofter they overheat on high setting due to age and condition of heat exchanger
However the first thing that comes to mind,if this was not happening before, is gas pressures set to high
you are right this is not very efficient and requires correcting
Anyway you are paying rent,so just ring landlord or managing agent and tell him boiler is not working correctly,cutting off all the time and get it checked
Hope you have a currect Gas Safety Inspection Certificate,if not he can kill two birds with four stones :)

Thanks for your help puddle, I agree with you, the main problem is age. I cannot check for the pressure because there is no pressure gauge, this can only be done by an engineer right? Or can I buy a pressure gauge and connect it to the pressure test valve?
Regarding my landlord, I was reading the law and I think that he needs to have a Gas Safety Inspection Certificate every year right? However, if it is a cheap work to do I'll pay for the work because you now how 'fast' landlords are to give a solution to a problem....

Firstly you are not allowed to touch the gas side by law and it is not your appliance it is the landlords and he would not or should not be happy about it being touched by a tenant
If a gas check has been done you should have a copy ,it is yearly,although some now are doing it yearly or when there is a tenant change within that year and by law you should have a copy
I do not know your landlord but go through him first, as it is his property and equiptment,sometimes they surprise you and get someone straight away,especially if gas check not done,if this is not the case ,then other avenues can be explored
To get things checked may not cost alot put if problems are found could be alot to put right

Yes should be serviced every 12 months, please dont get putting a pressure guage on the gas pipe!! This will be checked on your service.

It is not a coincidence. And what is the problem of that? That's what the forums are for, to get as many opinions as possible and to learn.... At least that's why I use them!!! Thanks for those that reply, it was really helpfull.

It is not a coincidence. And what is the problem of that? That's what the forums are for, to get as many opinions as possible and to learn.... At least that's why I use them!!! Thanks for those that reply, it was really helpfull.

Well you tried the rest and now have found the best :):)
Hope you get sorted

Thanks puddle. I follow your advise and contacted already my landlord. Waiting for his reply. Anyway, as soon as I get the boiler problem solved I will post it here so other users can know the anwer.

its frightening when someone says
can i buy a pressure gauge????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi John, yes I think you are spot on, if the...
Replies
Views
Finally (I hope) got to the bottom of this...
2 3
Replies
Views
You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
So I think I've solved it. Hasn't short cycled...
Replies
Views
Suggest monitoring and timing exactly...
Replies
Views
Back