Boiler pump overrun non-stop. Is it normal? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler pump overrun non-stop. Is it normal? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

geo86

Hello freinds,

I just moved into a flat and I put the system on.
Everything is running well but I've noticed the pump is running 24h a day even if the CH is OFF and HW is ON and the pump is very hot. The boiler knob is set to 1.
If I put off the HW, the pump stops.
As the pump is runing non stop, the boiler does not burn non stop, just sometimes.

I do not know if this was happening before or is just a recent issue, I just moved in.

Is this normal or could be a danger?

Plese see below the wiring diagram.

Boiler: POTTERTON Prima F 50
Room Thermostat: Dryton acl
Pump: Grundfos UPS 15-50
Valve: Danfoss HSA 3
Boiler Thermostat: Danfoss AT

If you need further information, please ask.

Also, I was thinking to replace the programer with FP715 SI to be able to set separate times for HW and CH but semms like the CH is not going ON if the HW is OFF. :(
Is this normal as well, please?

Yours faithfully,
G

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 56
Nice wiring. Earth being used as a phase conductor oooooooh yeh! Pump should stop when cylinder is satisfied. Looks a dogs dinner strip it back and re wire the box and install new programmer .

Looks like there is no pump supply coming up from the boiler, it needs a complete re-wire and need cable restraints in that junction box

Looks like there is no pump supply coming up from the boiler, it needs a complete re-wire and need cable restraints in that junction box
Thank you for your quick reply.

I would like to rewire myself as I am an Electronics Technician but first, I don't have a diagram and second, I am wondering I can brake the system due to bad wiring around.
For example, I use red as live but it could be connected to the earth pole inside the boiler. Do you understand what I mean?

Somebody above said there is no pump supply coming from the boiler. Should be another cable coming from the boiler or is related only with that junction box?

Thank you!

I have a Danfoss HSA3 which seems to be a 3 port valve.
Shall I use a Y plan diagram please?

My pump ran all the time after a zone valve corroded up. The valve moved o.k. but it had leaked and corroded the switch wiring to the pump so the pump was being told to be 'on' all the time. New zone valve with switch and pump ran normally.

yes sounds good to me
also if you get a honeywell wiring center it tells you where each wire goes
I should be able to rewire everything in that box, it doesn't look complicated.
But is any other way to check if all the wires are connected correct according with color code inside the boiler and thermostats, other than just open the boiler to see?
For example, red wire must be live and I connect it to Live in the junction box. But what about if the other end is connected to neutral or even worse to earth?

So first I need to make sure that all the wires are connected correct at the other end.

Y-Plan-Wiring.jpg

If the boiler has a pump connection then that is where it should come from, this is where the pump overrun comes from

Last edited by a moderator:
I should be able to rewire everything in that box, it doesn't look complicated.
But is any other way to check if all the wires are connected correct according with color code inside the boiler and thermostats, other than just open the boiler to see?
For example, red wire must be live and I connect it to Live in the junction box. But what about if the other end is connected to neutral or even worse to earth?

So first I need to make sure that all the wires are connected correct at the other end.

Test it at the junction box, it won't change between there and the boiler!

CCI08112013_00000.jpg

Its all in the manual, the only way the pump will stop running is under the control of the boiler over run thermostat mounted inside the boiler
on the drawing shown above, get the full manual off the WWW

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

thanks.... yes, so my diagram and wording is...
2 3
Replies
Views
Yeah I think Ill have a Hive thermostat in...
Replies
Views
Great summary and well done for getting it...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Not if the cylinder is already satisfied, and...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back