boiler upgrade | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler upgrade in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
got a phone call today from friend of mine to price up a boiler upgrade in property that he owns, he has informed me that he is buying the boiler and wants a combi . My concern is that i know the property he owns and the size of the place although i am not sure of heating set up currently there .
Due to it being a relatively large residential home 5 beds ensuites etc how does the part L REG come into play ?
Is it a case of zoning half the circuit?

Sounds like an interesting project.
Dunno if a combi will be any use for a residential home with 5 en-suites.

The whole place is an odd set up , it has a function room downstairs that gets rented for bdays etc so has male /female toilets,but upstairs is lived in as a bedsit type set up , from my understanding not all bedrooms have ensuites but obviously a main bathroom for everyone to use , just to add to confusion there is also a large changing area facility .so as you can imagine fair few rads and water draw offs .
have told him will be up this weekend to site survey for this job but he is adamant wants a combi but as i said how does building regs and zoning come into play as its a fair sized place .

Sounds like 2 obvious zones, and the bedsits with trv's.
The heating side seems pretty straightforward but the HW side will not be so easy as you will probably have huge deadlegs on the pipework which will not comply with the water regs.
Not to mention the unlikelyhood that a combi will serve more than two drawoffs simultaneously.

More a job for large cylinder with secondry return, maybe 2 boilers small one for hot water other for heating, but no good for a combi !.

you will probably want to zone each individual bedroom, function room, comunal area's and toilet. As each room may require heating at different times dependant on bookings and use.

Last edited:
you will probably want to zone each individual bedroom, function room, comunal area's and toilet. As each room may require heating at different times dependant on bookings and use.

And a friend who wants to buy his own combi will go for that?
Great idea but look out for the flying pigs.

And a friend who wants to buy his own combi will go for that?
Great idea but look out for the flying pigs.

honestly if its a real friend you wont fit them a combi as you will be doing them a diservice, i would just walk away and leave him/her to it.

honestly if its a real friend you wont fit them a combi as you will be doing them a diservice, i would just walk away and leave him/her to it.

And turn down work in recession period in a part of the country where their is little work , ,,,,, not great idea !!!

Going up their today so will see exactly whats what

You can only advise people, if they dont choose to take it then it is their problem. I certainly would not be turning down the work, I would just make a note on the quote that I dont think the system choice is ideal and may result in X problems of which I will not be responsible for.

upstairs is lived in as a bedsit type set up.
That sounds like a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO).

If so the landlord may have to be registered with the local council, and the property has to be meet certain minimum standards. It has to be inspected and registered every three years.

It is exactly that 5 people staying there although highly unlikely its registered as that although i never asked,
he is getting a baxi duo tec 40 kw boiler , current set up heat only /cylinder but wants it out for more space and he is not for changing his mind .
like i stated in original post its gonna need zoning so whats the deal with the part L build control ?

It is exactly that 5 people staying there although highly unlikely its registered as that although i never asked,
Apart from registering the property as an HMO, the owner also needs to apply for planning permission for change of use.

What's the deal with the part L build control?
I suggest you phone building control and ask them.

Apart from Part L requirements, an HMO has to meet other Building Regs, e.g Fire Safety etc.

I know what your saying but cant see it happening in all honesty ,its a privately owned place where the owner obviously has good income from it and cant see them altering build regs etc etc , fact is if i dont do it someonenelse will so was asking about zoning

Hi Hammers4spanner

I don't understand you, if, as you say your customer (& any competitors) will not do any of the things they are legally obliged to do, why are you so worried about the requirements under Part L ???
How low will you go then, will you sign off & register the boiler, don't fit TRV's that will make you a bit cheaper or don't clean off the flux from joints ???
I do understand it is tough out there but if you have no set standards, how low will you & the industry go.
I don't install for customers like yours, I just go in afterwards & try to put it all right !!

Chris W

Hi Hammers4spanner

I don't understand you, if, as you say your customer (& any competitors) will not do any of the things they are legally obliged to do, why are you so worried about the requirements under Part L ???
How low will you go then, will you sign off & register the boiler, don't fit TRV's that will make you a bit cheaper or don't clean off the flux from joints ???
I do understand it is tough out there but if you have no set standards, how low will you & the industry go.
I don't install for customers like yours, I just go in afterwards & try to put it all right !!

Chris W

What are you going on about ? i am asking for advice on zoning !!!
Wether the owner decides not to register hios property under a multi occupant dwelling is their choice !!
As for signing off boilers their is actually no legal requirement as have recently found out , like i orignally stated in THE OP!!!!!!!!!!
As far as i am aware a certain sized property needs to be zoned under build reg part L If you dont know it why bother answering !!

And turn down work in recession period in a part of the country where their is little work , ,,,,, not great idea !!!

Going up their today so will see exactly whats what

i suppose it depends on the value you put on the friendship and on what happens when the system is found to be unsuitable. If your happy saying i told you so and i only fitted what you told me too then thats fine. Id rather not everytime i meet up with any of my friends spend the entire time talking about the problems with the system i put in.

the zoneing needs to be based on the propertys use, so every indivual part will need to be zoned.

i suppose it depends on the value you put on the friendship and on what happens when the system is found to be unsuitable. If your happy saying i told you so and i only fitted what you told me too then thats fine. Id rather not everytime i meet up with any of my friends spend the entire time talking about the problems with the system i put in.

you hit nail on head explained it to him and its all about cost as always to property owner ,
as i stated in first post due to size of property i know it needs zoning was asking for advice if they dont wish to be all done properly then there choice !!

gas safe and build control,
had recent issue of none notified work from previous engineer

hammers4spanner said:
As for signing off boilers their is actually no legal requirement as have recently found out,

doitmyself said:
And who did you learn that from?

gas safe and build control,
had recent issue of none notified work from previous engineer
That all depends on what you mean by "signing off".

Provided the work is done by a person who is Gas Safe registered, there is no requirement to deposit plans with or give a building notice to the Local Authority. There is however a requirement for the installer to notify Gas Safe Register of the installation so they can issue a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate and notify the Local Authority of the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
@ShaunCorbs - the heating engineer who will be...
Replies
Views
Is it fully decorated? / can you get at the...
Replies
Views
I
Yes press the button until there are 2 lights...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
If you're dealing with a vulnerable person...
Replies
Views
Back