Brass fittings | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Brass fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing I've snatched is some pushfit elbows on a system that was obviously airlocked at the point where the elbows ere. Released them for a few seconds and they spat and sputtered then woosh. Hurredly put the elbow back on, job done.
I will start snatching other things soon, as long as I have towels and stop ends handy. Will post on here when i do one :)
Wish me luck...

Lets us no how you get on.Is snatching just a lazy way of doing things instead of draining down or is it about time and money?

Last edited by a moderator:
some will use a wet vac instead of towels and to suck water out of rad, but its a ball ache, towels are much lighter :)

When part way through a job I don't like to leave customers or apprentices anything they can fiddle with that might have consequences.

just remember if you do any snatching, to have everything you need well within reach before starting.

Would you snatch even if miss dopolopolas had a 10 thousand pound carpet in the room you was working in

I'm sure she won't mind a few nice black marks on her nice £1000 cream carpet :) haha if its a cream carpet don't snatch!

All this talk of snatching. You need to appreciate the difference between doing it on a sealed system and an open vented system. Once a sealed system has lost its initial pressure and the water in the system is at atmospheric pressure, the existing water in the system is a vacuum. Unless you introduce air into the system, in theory the water can not be released from the pipes, to see this in action, place a clear straw into a glass of water, hold your thumb over the straw and pull it out, most of the water will remain in the straw until your remove your thumb. The same happens to water in a heating system.

So as long as you don't allow more than one outlet to be open, you can quite easily change a trv on a sealed system, with minimal mess (always protect the surrounding areas though!).

You can not do the same on an open vented system, you need to create a vacuum by bunging the open vent and cold feed at the header tank. Also, never bung the feed and vent to a cylinder, it can cause the cylinder to implode!

When snatching a rad valve, slacken the nut on the pipe very slightly & then disconnect the other nut on the tail side (block tail with bit of rag) & turn the valve out towards you & open to check no water coming out before you remove the valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

S
  • Question
No photo shown. It is usual to apply ptfe tape...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Why is it outside? It will freeze and the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Where the black polyethelene service line...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I'd choose the hydroponic shop. It may take...
Replies
Views
Back