Can you suggest a new forum category? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can you suggest a new forum category? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about a hints and tips forum,not waiting for a how do you sort this? post but just a quick and easy way to do things type forum

plumbers daily diary

Most of that info is in the books we should all have.

what id like more tips on is making good. sometimes its 90% of a plumbing job.
most of us should have that in our heads as it is every day plumbing

plumbers daily diary where we can examine and explain the ins and outs of being a plumber

Last edited by a moderator:
how about a hints and tips forum,not waiting for a how do you sort this? post but just a quick and easy way to do things type forum
I 2nd jpm's hint's and tips forum not the problem solving kind which the whole site is (as has previously been mentioned), but rather for those little old gems that should be passed on from generation to generation! for instance... using a matchstick to seal a leak in a lead pipe, syphoning a hot water storage cylinder, linking washing machine hot and cold supplies to free an airlock, using bread when soldering a pipe with water in it, quick way to measure and run pipework or hang a rad, to mention just a few

l know some may not be relevant to alot of what we do today but i still feel these little gems give newbies an insight into the genious of some solutions we all know this industry discovers aswell as giving great practical tips and advice!

I think we should have a new forum category on how to explain to your partner or wife that we are in pain when we fall off a ladder,cut our hand and get acid flux in it,not able to wash out coz water off,smash our head on a low pipe in the boiler room fall of your bike and can not walk for four days,ect
coz all I get when I limp in the house,apart from the kids demanding money off me for a night out, is the wife standing there ,looking at me like I am a real wimp,saying think you are in pain,you men do not know what it means,try giving birth to two or three of you ungreatful,selfish kids,thats pain,your pathetic,
God knows what will happen when I get man flue !
Please help
:-0

Hi,
I think we should have a forum on oil boilers eg. installation, servicing and fault finding:)

Septic tanks, and private water supply, could be another one

I looooved septic tanks, and any thing to do with them

Septic tanks, and private water supply, could be another one

I looooved septic tanks, and any thing to do with them

Do'nt you mean french septic tanks and french private water supplies ;)

Was out last night and waiter asked me if I wanted french fries,just could'nt ,went for boiled patatoes :p

Well the French did invent the first septic tank, according to Wiki, and in 1853 the French had potable water piped to the city of Lyon, by Général des Eaux, beats the MWB by 51 years

But all joking apart, where in the UK can you see the latest monthly report on the condition of the water supplied by the company, posted with a full detailed analysis

I would not recommend French fries that's an American term, Moules and Frits thats a good Belgique meal, they love frits, a good kilo of Moules boiled in a white wine, together with some chopped chives, with a few frits, with a nice Muscadet sur lies, not to sweet nor too dry avec un baguette du pain, to mop up the juice, loverly :D

Talking about septic tanks or fosse septiques, I used to like any thing to do with them, the installation, the drainage from them, very fascinating, private water supplies was another subject I liked doing, I have done a few of them whilst stuck out in the wilds of Cornwall, one supply I looked at was so acidic Ph if I remember right 3.7, would eat out an aluminium kettle within 6 months from new:eek:

hey guys its very hard to find technical plumbing drawings on the web how about getting some posted dan?

RENEWABLE ENERGY!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a massive market and we need to embrace this exciting new technology that is going to make engineers ££££££££ especially the young ones.

Encouraging conversation on this would be very helpful.

Combined disciplines. ie Plumbing and electrics.

Need a part P assessment (£500) before you're able to apply to the elecsa competent persons scheme register (another £370+VAT). They then send an inspector to 'your regular place of work' (how they do that with self employed plumbers working from home I have no idea) to inspect your installations, H&S proceedures, complaints proceedures, paper work on previously done installations (12 mouths previous work done without part P????) and your books (17th editon, building reg's, etc)

Turns out, even if you have part P registration, if you are a Plumber fitting an electric shower in a bathroom, because bathrooms, kitchens and outside the property has been deemed 'special zones' you can only fit a replacement shower 'like for like' but to install a new electric shower and run the electrical cable to feel the power straight from the CU (as it should be) you have to be a qualified 17th editon electician.

So you either:-
find a good electrician you can trust to turn up at the job and use them to install all your electrics, all the time (bang goes your profit).
Take time out to become an electrician AS WELL.
Tell the customer the work needs to be notified to the authorities before work can start and it will have to be inspected at conciderable cost to the job (bang goes your profit and the job to larger firm with their own electricans).
Or You can keep turning electric shower installation work down and if it's to be included in a FULL bathroom suite installation, slowly go out of business in the process.

The obvious one in this day and age is Renewable Energy.

Theres so many 'plumbing and heating' guys getting in to renewables, and they have plenty of questions.

"I've got a customer wants to get rid of the boiler and has asked about a heat pump, what do I do?"

"How much water will them solar panel thingies heat? Do they work at night?" (yes, I HAVE been asked that one!)

Yes, I have more of a foot in renewables cos I do the technical for a company, but its about the only growth area in heating at the moment. (we might even ask about sponsoring the site, who knows ;)

Just a thought!

A category just for oil fired equipment. There is one for gas, but not oil.

I'd second that (or third?) for a separate oil section.

Also, an idea for sticky threads and FAQs. There are many posts about the simpler things like radiators not working or WCs letting by.

If there was a SEPARATE non forum page of links to about 25 plumbing areas (non working radiator, WC letting by, water hammer, blocked sink, etc) for these then many guests might find a page of these useful, but with a non edited (locked) thread giving various solutions. I'm not talking about sticky threads at the top of the main forum pages but a different page altogether as I sometimes feel there are too many sticky threads.

For example: Cold Radiator

There would be a thread on the main forum for a couple of weeks or so, giving the main clues as to solving a radiator not working and members would add their comments. After the fortnight (or month?) the thread would be removed from the main forum. Names of contributors would be removed, the thread edited by one of our esteemed administrators, and then put on to this new page.

I've probably not explained myself very well but if you re-read the above a few times you might see what I'm getting at.

Old threads such as you say should be deleted after a certain timescale to free up server space or the administrators will find the hosting charges going up to pay for old stuff.

Not a category, but would it be possible to have a button added to every thread that you can click and the thread is stored on your profile so you can follow certain threads and also save them for future reference, similar to ebay where you click ADD TO WATCH LIST and you track the listing

I think we should have a new forum category on how to explain to your partner or wife that we are in pain when we fall off a ladder,cut our hand and get acid flux in it,not able to wash out coz water off,smash our head on a low pipe in the boiler room fall of your bike and can not walk for four days,ect
coz all I get when I limp in the house,apart from the kids demanding money off me for a night out, is the wife standing there ,looking at me like I am a real wimp,saying think you are in pain,you men do not know what it means,try giving birth to two or three of you ungreatful,selfish kids,thats pain,your pathetic,
God knows what will happen when I get man flue !
Please help
:-0
theres an answer to the age old women know real pain statement
a kick in the balls is much more painfull than childbirth
you dont see men a year later saying i think its time for another kick in the balls
case proven

you can opt to subscribe to a thread by selecting at the top 'thread tools' and selecting 'subscribe to this thread...'

It should show up in your profile pages then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hey there, My organisation - the CIPD - is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I never have, but if it were a decent place...
Replies
Views
My current dispenser is cordless and extremely...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The UK Government has today been told to do...
Replies
Views
Back