Charge for fitting a toilet. | Boilers | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Charge for fitting a toilet. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't do it cheap on the promise of more work to follow it'll never happen and you'll be out of pocket. Good luck.

That was one of the first things I was taught and it's completely true. A suprising amount of "future work" you never hear about again, even the ones that were certain of. Work like you'll be seeing them again really soon, charge like you'll never see them again haha.

i have just made a big mistake regarding pricing,got a phone call of a local builder struggling to get hold of his usual plumber, so as i had been recommended to him and was available having only set up on my own three months ago, he gave me a call, he wanted me to run the gas pipe work in for the boiler cooker and fire,ok, of i went to get the gear, got on with the job, as i was doing the job the price i was going to charge, changed, changed and changed again, i wanted this builder to come back as i know he does plenty of work in my area, and i have had the experience of over charging some one and him refusing to pay, this was down to pure inexperience,but lesson learn't,so i'm thinking cheap but not to cheap, with all this swirling around in my head ,i was asked for the price and witin a split second i'd opened my mouth and plurted out a ridiculous figure that barely covered the materials,he looked at me surprised and asked if i was sure,probably giving me time to compose myself and charge something sensible, but no, i stood my ground , what an idiot,

You didn't mention how far you live away from the job. If this is your first toilet, remember there will be a good chance of a water leak - waste, systern connection, water supply all these joints and connections waiting to let you down. On top of that if the toilet is upstairs there can be an awful lot of water damage before you can get back. You mention the laminate floor covering even bigger claim. Make sure you have good insurance cover. In addition to all the above don't forget the possibility of a faulty pack or cracking the pan or systern when you screw them down too tightly. If I haven't put you off remember the above is why you need to charge the going rate and don't anything on the cheap. Good luck and I hope you have a happy career, there will be some brilliant times ahead.

The job is approx 45 minutes away. Thanks a lot for the info and advice. I already feel as though i have learnt a lot from the replies given and will stand me in good stead.

i have just made a big mistake regarding pricing,got a phone call of a local builder struggling to get hold of his usual plumber, so as i had been recommended to him and was available having only set up on my own three months ago, he gave me a call, he wanted me to run the gas pipe work in for the boiler cooker and fire,ok, of i went to get the gear, got on with the job, as i was doing the job the price i was going to charge, changed, changed and changed again, i wanted this builder to come back as i know he does plenty of work in my area, and i have had the experience of over charging some one and him refusing to pay, this was down to pure inexperience,but lesson learn't,so i'm thinking cheap but not to cheap, with all this swirling around in my head ,i was asked for the price and witin a split second i'd opened my mouth and plurted out a ridiculous figure that barely covered the materials,he looked at me surprised and asked if i was sure,probably giving me time to compose myself and charge something sensible, but no, i stood my ground , what an idiot,

Sort of thing i can see myself doing and then cursing about it the whole drive home!

Haha we've all been there when relatively new to the trade, I used to guess prices based on god knows what, almost felt cheeky getting paid for some reason.
As long as you do a good job for a reasonable rate they can't complain.

My advice to you old pal would be to go round and asses the work the best way that you can see it as it is, going in blind with estimates or qoutes can give you a headache if you started the replacement,problems unseen are usually found when you've started
Tony M

taking the micky is against the rules. please retract that question and lash yourself with the nearest branch whilst muttering about contrition.
If there is any lashing going on wheres the queue please tell me please.....

even though it's best to see jobs before you give them a price i try and give a broad range over the phone where possible. that weeds out the people who are going to go "how much?!?" before bothering to go round.

Its never as simple as 'just fit a WC' - as we all know, no two jobs are the same. Everytime you do a job cheap you just gather more cheap customers on to your books. Do it at the right price that you are happy with. I am in New Zealand and i wouldnt do it for less than $400 - $500 dollars, which is currently about 250 quid (sorry no pound sign on this keyboard)

MATT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
The latest Geberit flush valves have an...
Replies
Views
Please come back with a photo and words of the...
Replies
Views
Well persevered, it is always worth the extra...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much! Gets me off the hook! Let...
Replies
Views
Back