Classify this please doubting myself | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Classify this please doubting myself in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Thank you for your time and detailed replies, I'm still confused at the whole ncs thing, but that's down to training and to be fair, in my current role I don't come across that many unsafe situations, haven't even wrote a warning notice out.
I haven't seen the online version of the unsafe situations procedure and I don't carry a tablet, I will invest in the book though, if it contains all the situations and how to class them then it will be more than worth the investment for someone like myself.

I hope you are not as pis$ed off with me as much as CBW:).

But, seriously, how can a course provider consider their job complete without you having seen one f the most imortant document that we refer to. Unbeleivable. That is not your fault - but it does emphasise that most learning is done through experience rather than at a desk.
It would be a god idae to buy a hard copy, I find stuff sinks in better via the printed word, but then, I am something of a dinasour, age wise.
Have you got an onsite guide of some sort? I assume you had one for use during training, but they are invaluable in the van for those "WTF do I do now" moments?

Are you SE or on the books?
Are you install or maintanence or both?
I am guessing that, by now, you have worked out that you can never know it all, and never stop learning.
For new service guys, I would always reccomend going on the Baxi 3 day course. It used to be £270 for 3 days, but it is a well structured, non sales logical course. You will find a lot of guys liking it on different forums, and maybe here. Try looking at "the other" site, there is a wealth of knowledgable guys, some of whose work pictures will blow your mind.

I genuinely hope that you (and CBW, if you are not actually the same person - I've just notice the initials ;) ) keep going, learning and developing. This can be a great, and financially rewarding, job - but you have to deal with a lot of muppets (from the ranks of Bosses, colleagues, competitors and definitely customers).

Finally, co not be led down the road of negativity. But question everything, and learn how to find or confirm the answers, rather than taking some of the ridiculous statements here and other plces at face value.

Good Luck (to both of you)

I'm still confused at the whole ncs thing,
Not to Current Standards:-
This is when you would advise someone that their appliance/installation is not installed in accordance with current installation standards.

It is issued when the appliance or installation is safe to use but the end user should consider bringing it in line with current standards.

If it is an installation which has been carried out recently then they should contact the installer for advice.

If the installation is not recent then the situation may have been brought about by the introduction of revised standards.

A Gas Safe Engineer can advise you on whether or not the installation should be brought in line with current standards.

There, that is a rough wording of how Corgi suggested we should explain it to the end user or responsible person.

It is still a category we still use but the reason it is frowned upon (for want of a better way of putting it), was most likely due to the fact that you are saying (in writing) that something is actually safe to use and only needs altering due to regulations and standards.

The customer/end user/responsible person tended to take the view that 'it's safe so why change it' and that is understandable. They also saw any improvement as a distress purchase/unnecessary spend.

It is a useful category though. I for example, have this week used it to explain why I cannot replace two commercial Heating appliances like for like but the customers are fine to continue using the existing appliance until they fail.

Hope this helps.

At the end of the day we have all read the same rules, regulations and standards. We all have our own slight differences in the interpretations and understandings of those too. However, the one thing that always overrides in the real world is the Engineers Discretion.
There's my thought for the day!

Similar plumbing topics

Good stuff, yep I can’t totally relate to...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Back