Communal Rising main water pipe | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Communal Rising main water pipe in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all.

Doing a house renovation here at my flat that I owed for about 20 years have decided finally that time to spend some money on myself and live normally.

Basically knocked out larder cupboards and walls making a kitchen diner finally got permission from the freeholders that took about 1 year alone.

Behind one of the Larder cupboards there is as follows 4 pipes on the wall going up and down
These are down services from the the roof of the block of flats a water tank used to be attached next to where this main is.

There is one pipe this is what the problem is about 60 cm away from those pipes in other words in the actual kitchen its 28m copper and above it there is a join to about 35m copper.

At first we believed this was the down service but after realising it appears to be the water that is pumping up through all the flats into their water tanks and then into the main water tank on the roof. SoI have a water pipe in my property that does not serve me there is no stopcock at all within my property yet I am told I am responsible for it.

We want to re-route this pipe back to the wall.
Contacted Thames Water and they seemed quite confused about this pipe but did indeed find it on thier system.

What would be the best way to tackle this they told me that you could possibly try to turn this feed off from the ground but surely it's getting pumped up due to gravity? So would you not need to turn the pump off as well where would that be? Other option would be to freeze or to use an Aladdin clamp and basically to re-route the pipe back to the wall is there any issue removing this pipe I'm presuming the water will still be able to travel up the bends being about 60 cm back to the wall all and then out again 60 cm in?

Obviously for the duration of time there'll be no water being pumped up to the main storage tank I presume this will not affect the properties with the water tank in the house because the main tank upstairs has about 10000 l. And we only need 1h.

Happy to take pictures but meanwhile just wanted to pick everyone's brains and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this sort of job and are there any worries at all?

I'm pretty worried about cutting the pipe using an aladin clamp and freezing it because if something goes wrong there is no stopcock within my property to turn it off and water damage could be totally catastrophic

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I rarely use plastic piping but in this...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the reply and information so far...
Replies
Views
  • Question
IF all properties got a PRV fitted on their...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Scotland dude we dont pay for water like the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi everyone, My earlier post above was about...
Replies
Views
Back