Customer is a "qualified plumber" Oh joy! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Customer is a "qualified plumber" Oh joy! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

leelister6

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to quote a boiler install last week. Combi, 7 rads and all the pipework, gas pipe to extend etc. Customer happened to mention that he was a "qualified" plumber after taking a 2 month course and would be assisting me. I told him as I would be responsible for the entire installation, I wouldn't be requiring his "help". Quoted £600 for the job, labour only (inc consumables) which I thought was a damn good price for the amount of work. Tw@ then asked for a discount for cash!
Told him I don't mind a cheque.
"Why don't you want me to help? I've done the course and got me certificate!"
"As I explained, if there's a leak or a problem a couple of months down the line, will you be fixing it or chelping at me to come and sort it?"
"Well seeing as I'm paying you, I would expect some sort of guarantee on your workmanship!" says he. (Getting dangerously close to a Barnsley kiss at this point!)

I said, "That's the price, cash, cheque or gold bars. If I need a hand, I will get someone in that I know and trust and any problems will be covered by me"

"Well I think you're being unreasonable, I came top in my course and know what I'm doing"

"I think we're going round in circles here. Good luck with your plumbing career"

In van and off to pub to de-stress.

Rant over:38:

Im shocked you would do all that work for £600!!!

That is shocking For £600 wow that is seriousely cheapp, How many people did you undercut for that one ?

You should have said that's the price for me to install the boiler and it will be another £1200 for the free onsite training.

3 days work. Customer to supply all materials. No old system to remove, no-one living there at the mo, easy access for pipework, cellar access for downstairs rads, minimal floorboards to remove. I thought is was a fair price and as for undercutting, I was the first person to look at the job so no idea what anyone else quoted. Really hope he gets what he pays for!

He will end up with a "quality" installation if he was asking for a discount on that price!...How much are packets of KP these days anyway?

barnsley kiss - pmsl not heard that since i was a teenager. had a few and gave a few too mind lol

I spoke to a customer today who told me he had a "simple, quick plumbing job" which he would do himself but he "just didn't have the time."

Really makes you feel valued. You could translate that as "Hi, I know how long your jobs should take, how hard they are and how to do them myself. But I'm busy. So please come round and do it for me."

For a start, why would the custard divulge the information of their own apparent expertise unless they're implying that how much we charge and how long we take is relative to how ignorant the customer is of the work. It's essentially an insult dressed up as anecdotal details.

Cust probably knows that it's a straightforward job by browsing forums.
'didn't' have the time prob translates to 'I would have done it but my Internet is down and I wouldn't be able to get any advice when the job goes wrong'

There seems to be more and more customers like this. Getting to the point where I tell em to fkoff, make time an do it themselves !

Cust probably knows that it's a straightforward job by browsing forums.
'didn't' have the time prob translates to 'I would have done it but my Internet is down and I wouldn't be able to get any advice when the job goes wrong'

That's the difference between them and us. Knowing what to do when things go **** up!

He was probably wanting it as part of his nvq sign off :)

As soon as he got the first sentence out I would have been away.

Cheeky forker trying to get some experience off you installing his heating system. Empty house, property developer? Probably wants to see who it's done so he doesn't have to ask again.

£600 is an amazing price!!! If he had any sense he would have ripped ur arm off for that! I think I would have paid twice that amount for him not to work alongside him, makes my blood boil

i would have calmly walked out to the van come back with the axe,wanna dance you cocky little @@@@

he needs a kick-in-the-balls.jpg

Regardless of what your going rate is, you should have told him to fk off as soon as he opened his mouth. You need to learn when to draw a line.

I told him in no uncertain terms, that was the price, take it or leave it. Thing is, he seemed like a decent bloke; ex teacher, buying the house for his son while at uni etc. Priced for 3 days but could have done it in 2 if I got stuck in. If someone can do as good a job as me for less, let em have it! :banghead:

At that price I think you will get it. Just think though you will be fitting it and he will be watching your every move, I hate that myself I had an ex-engineer (aircraft I think) who was trying to tell me everything about his boiler and system that was bad enough and I was only in his house for 1 1/2 hours.

If a customer is sat on my shoulder, I have a nasty habit of turning round unexpectedly while holding the blowtorch."Oh sorry mate, dint see ya there!" They don't seem to get as close after that for some reason!

I've noticed that if anyone asks for a cash price I never get the quote. So now I need a polite way to walk out half way through the quote appointment when they mention 'do you do a cash price?'. Any tips?

If a customer is sat on my shoulder, I have a nasty habit of turning round unexpectedly while holding the blowtorch."Oh sorry mate, dint see ya there!" They don't seem to get as close after that for some reason!

I tend to whack em with a length of pipe in the shins and tell em opps didnt know u were there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
O
That's the point I was on about. It doesn't...
Replies
Views
Old Account
O
  • Question
I forgot to say. All our radiator thermostats...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
Back