DIY Project To Zone My House | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss DIY Project To Zone My House in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

R

Richard at Home

Good evening and a happy new year to you all

I welcome any comments and feedback to my project I am looking at starting in 2013

now I know all this sort of thing can be done with many of the costly out of the box solutions that probably cost more than the boiler itself

What I am looking at doing is to create a heating system that has at least 3 Zones

I believe I could do this with some changes to the main Pipe work and 3 motorised zone valves and an additional time clock

Reason for project

During the day one member of my family is at home and requires heating to be on for 4 rads in part of the house.

Currently I am heating all the house all day when only part of the house needs to be heated

My daughter-in-law is also at home some times when not at Uni and may need her front room heating.

Now my logic is to have the secondary time clock switching the water flow between parts of the house during the day and in the evenings opening all valves to heat the complete house

Now I know this could also be done with the new wireless digital TVRs but this expense would be significant

I will add to this post as the project develops

If you have any questions or would like to bounce ideas or comments please reply and this may become an interesting post.

Thank you for your time

Best regards

Richard

I have drawn up the current layout of the Heating and Hot water system and i am going to use this as my basis for my modification for the project
I have not drawn up the proposed layout yet

But my idea is to take the 2 main 22mm flow and return pipes and add 2 more runs making a total of 3 Main Zones
Connect the desired Radiators to them and join them all up with the Zone valves to create one system full system.
Hope that makes sense

Attachments

• Heating System.jpg
    Heating System.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 170
Sorry for the delay i was trying to upload the layout pictures

I do not expecting anyone to do this for me in any way it is my project and i want to do it.

Would i give free advise 100% i always do i love sharing my experiences and hopefully it helps others i have a webpage dedicated to sharing information

I have set this post up for everyone to look at like all internet information take it at face value and do your research.

Thanks everyone for your comments its all good.

Regards

Richard

I would never ask someone to take on this sort of project on Professional or otherwise for me.

It is something i want to do as a project.

I moved in the house 3 years ago and the old plumbing is a mess and i want to remove it all and reinstall a new clean layout.

I will 100% guarantee that I will do this. it will work how i intend it to, and i will share all my experiences with you all good and bad and hopefully some may enjoy the read.

Thanks

Richard

I would never ask someone to take on this sort of project on Professional or otherwise for me.

It is something i want to do as a project.

I moved in the house 3 years ago and the old plumbing is a mess and i want to remove it all and reinstall a new clean layout.

I will 100% guarantee that I will do this. it will work how i intend it to, and i will share all my experiences with you all good and bad and hopefully some may enjoy the read.

Thanks

Richard

In that case, starting from fresh, don't make the same mistakes again. Use the right tools and materials for the job. And while you're at it, take out the y plan valve on your cylinder and fit 4 2 port valves.

I have drawn up the current layout of the Heating and Hot water system and i am going to use this as my basis for my modification for the project
I have not drawn up the proposed layout yet

But my idea is to take the 2 main 22mm flow and return pipes and add 2 more runs making a total of 3 Main Zones
Connect the desired Radiators to them and join them all up with the Zone valves to create one system full system.
Hope that makes sense

Can't really read the detail on my phone. Why not junk the pumps and the CWST and install an unvented tank?

I know nothing of zone valves but just had a think about it and I would get the pack for my first time and some advice from plumbers I know to get me going (best advice IMHO)

However it sound like you are going to do it your way anyay and ignore the best advice so stick 3 x 2 port valves in, get 2 time switches (one zone would be on your hot water button) and go on electrician forum and find out how to wire it all in.
only thing I would be worried about is the wiring to the boiler and pump as you dont want to send too much power to the Boiler and blow the fuse/circuit board every 2 seconds.

best case = everything works well, no garuntee though so will have to change components at own cost
worse case = new circuit board, everything ripped out and done again so twice the cost.

What I would be interested in is, would it make any difference costwise. if your boiler is working all day heating 4 rooms, How much money will you actually save rather then heating the whole house?

You'll need 4 2 port valves, a 4 channel programmer or 2x2 programmers, and you'll also need a new room stat in each zone. You'll have to replace valves in room stat locations.

Tip, if you're an engineer, you should be able to afford a professional. This will only end in tears and as already said, you have the wrong attitude. It's also the wrong time of year to be leaving your family without heat and HW for a prolonged period, which it will be, it will take you a very very very long time to complete this "project". I'd advise you focused your extra energy on something else, like a classic car or bike lol

Well there are 19 radiators so heating 4 not 19 is a significant load in my mind

I think there is a little misunderstanding about how i am planning to control the zone valves

This will just be a Power to a separate time clock ( Not connected to the boiler in any way )

This time clock will just turn the zone valves on and off throughout the day regardless of the running of the boiler

The boiler is always on and comes on via the stat and if the room stat drops the boiler fires up

as an example If it was in the morning the boiler would only be pushing water around the 4 rads ( Controlled separately by the other time clock that will only control the zone valves )

If the boiler comes on a 5 in the evening all the zone valves would be open and all 19 rads would be heated

The hot water would just work in the same way

The boiler will be heating the hot water through the STD Valiant time clock or it would be heating rads through the STD Vailant time clock

if the vailant time clock its on heating the only difference is that the stand alown time clock will change how many rads the boiler it heating

This is just my idea of how it will work

I hope i have explained it

Thanks Richard

Please don’t think i am ignoring any advise that is passed on. this is not the case, i will do the project because i believe i can make it work as i want it to and will save me money for heating.

If not I will put it back to its current state

PS i only started the idea last week and have drawn up the current system to work with.

Thanks

Richard

Well you're not really zoning the system, more shutting parts down based on a time only basis.

It'll work the way you've outlined it above but it's not right.

What's your household insurance policy like?

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
DIY Tiling; Advice for DIY Tilers DIY Tiling...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I don't know if you are aware of the "Society...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Well done for sorting it. Waggling the trv pin...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ok thank you Chuck, yes it does a bit 😆 That's...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Your house waste must go to a man hole then...
Replies
Views
Back