DIY Project To Zone My House | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss DIY Project To Zone My House in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

R

Richard at Home

Good evening and a happy new year to you all

I welcome any comments and feedback to my project I am looking at starting in 2013

now I know all this sort of thing can be done with many of the costly out of the box solutions that probably cost more than the boiler itself

What I am looking at doing is to create a heating system that has at least 3 Zones

I believe I could do this with some changes to the main Pipe work and 3 motorised zone valves and an additional time clock

Reason for project

During the day one member of my family is at home and requires heating to be on for 4 rads in part of the house.

Currently I am heating all the house all day when only part of the house needs to be heated

My daughter-in-law is also at home some times when not at Uni and may need her front room heating.

Now my logic is to have the secondary time clock switching the water flow between parts of the house during the day and in the evenings opening all valves to heat the complete house

Now I know this could also be done with the new wireless digital TVRs but this expense would be significant

I will add to this post as the project develops

If you have any questions or would like to bounce ideas or comments please reply and this may become an interesting post.

Thank you for your time

Best regards

Richard

Thanks for your feedback

I am not going to pull it apart just yet and i will install all the new pipe work prior to disconnecting the current layout

I do think a lot of people do not follow how i am going to set this up though

please read my last post.

I do not want to use extra room stats and boiler feedback etc

my new system will just either heat the 4 rads or 8 rads or all 19 depending on the zone valves that are controlled totally separately by a stand alone time clock

all my zone valves will do is change the size of the heating circuit that is available to the current heating system setup.

Thanks

Richard

Thanks for your feedback

I am not going to pull it apart just yet and i will install all the new pipe work prior to disconnecting the current layout

I do think a lot of people do not follow how i am going to set this up though

please read my last post.

I do not want to use extra room stats and boiler feedback etc

my new system will just either heat the 4 rads or 8 rads or all 19 depending on the zone valves that are controlled totally separately by a stand alone time clock

all my zone valves will do is change the size of the heating circuit that is available to the current heating system setup.

Thanks

Richard

No one here has trouble comprehending your "plan". Rather its you who can't understand why it's WRONG.

The only significant issue I am aware of is the power rating of the boiler in relation to the number of rads i am heating may cause me to trigger pump overrun error due to the speed the water heats up.

I am sure there are other issues i will encounter.

Thanks

Richard

Off topic a little

Took my 2009 VW Golf DTI 140 into Tamworth Volkswagen on 28/12/2012 for a new cam belt and water pump replacement

Could i have done it myself?

Yes

Do i have the tools or the workshop to do it in

No

Did i have to refit the Cam Belt Cover on the car after i received the car back

Yes !

I presumed this was a professional at work. Maybe Not !

Off topic a little

Took my 2009 VW Golf DTI 140 into Tamworth Volkswagen on 28/12/2012 for a new cam belt and water pump replacement

Could i have done it myself?

Yes

Do i have the tools or the workshop to do it in

No

Did i have to refit the Cam Belt Cover on the car after i received the car back

Yes !

I presumed this was a professional at work. Maybe Not !

I expect they didnt want to be at work on the 28-12-12, I didnt either,

The moral of that story is not to do it yourself, but to use a trusted professional. VW could have used any one of their numerous engineers and apprentices to do that job. Should have gone to an independant vw mechanic, there's plenty around and it's easy to find a recommended fitter, with a bit of research.

Oh so the quality you receive from a professional or a DIY person totally depends on the date ....

Sorry my mistake

I am sure the price was the same

I am looking forward to seeing VW reply on the subject when they reply

Well thank you all for your time i have enjoyed the topic
This project is not a wind up !

In fear of upsetting anyone, which by the way was never my intention it was just to share my project

I will update the post again and let you know how i am getting on

If what i do is crap and does not work i will be totally honest and advise my experience accordingly

Whatever happens i will 100% guarantee it will be better then what heating and hot water system that was installed when i moved in

I remember the hot water tank was a horizontal type in the loft about 20 years old ! that was the first thing that went.

Best Regards

Richard

I will be back as i am a man of my word

I will not go into detail about the slightly more complex project of integrating the heating system into my home network using our Linux server to monitor the boiler stats through the Valiant proprietary EBUS communication system then

I will save that for another post !

See you all soon

Regards

Richard

I will be back as i am a man of my word

I will not go into detail about the slightly more complex project of integrating the heating system into my home network using our Linux server to monitor the boiler stats through the Valiant proprietary EBUS communication system then

I will save that for another post !

See you all soon

Regards

Richard

thats the easy bit

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
DIY Tiling; Advice for DIY Tilers DIY Tiling...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I don't know if you are aware of the "Society...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Well done for sorting it. Waggling the trv pin...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ok thank you Chuck, yes it does a bit 😆 That's...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Your house waste must go to a man hole then...
Replies
Views
Back