Does this work seem reasonable? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Does this work seem reasonable? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

N

Nsansa

Hi. I've recently had some work done on a Ravensheat combi boiler (RSF82E) by a registered CORGI engineer and think the bill is over the top. I'd be grateful for your professional comments.

The guy was called out because the boiler was not firing up when the HW tap (or CH) was turned on. After 2 hours he diagnosed a fauly ingnition PCB. After ordering a replacement (the exisiting one was only 6 months old) he returned for almost 2 hours to fit it, and as the boiler was still not working, he then diagnosed a faulty diverter valve. Having ordered that part he came back for 5 and a half hours to fit it and drain and refill the CH system. Boiler still not working, so I call him back again, and this time the diagnosis (1 hour) was a faulty low water shut off valve, which later look 2 and a half hours to fit. At last the boiler is working, but I now have a £922 bill: £582 for 13 hours of labour (hourly rate of £45 - we live in Buckinghamshire) plus £340 (incl VAT) for parts: £150 for PCB, £137 for diverter valve, £37 for shut off and £16 for radiator additive.

Checking internet prices, the parts seem about right, but my query is: should it really take 3 attempts to find and solve the problem, or is it probable that actually there were 3 separate faults that could not have been reasonably picked up in one visit.

The boiler was last serviced and certified by my regular engineer 6 months ago (he was away on holiday, hence the call to the new guy).

Nsansa ........ sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!!! Is this a large company or one man band? Thats a hefty bill! It also sounds like the last part was the fault and the other two possibly okay. It happens when folk guess! Not fare that you should have to pay for his incorrect diagnosis though, if that is the case! Maybe worth taking up with him/them?

We don't always get it right first time, bye-the-way!

Anyone can replace parts until a boiler is repaired hence he should off diagnosed the fault correctly in the first place and not 3rd time luckyBy the way it's not corgi anymore it's gas safe

Have you discussed this with the company or individual?

This would be my first port of call. Did you discuss the bill before paying?

Trouble is, this sounds very expensive BUT we (as good as our intentions are) were not there. There may have been more than one fault etc.

Were you aware of his/her/their charges before they started?
Was this classed as an emergency call out charge?

So, many variables.....

Last edited by a moderator:
13 hrs labour... that is like him turning up at 9am in the morning,working all the way through,non stop until 10pm at night!!...on one boiler,you could have taken it apart and put it back together god knows how many times !

If you do pay him,let me know and I will stand in for your usual plumber next time he goes on holiday,coz he obviously has a great customer base

Remember just because a plumber is gas safe registered does not mean and has nothing to do with his ability to repair certain boilers or issue sensible invoices

imho

If your registered and want to have a go at boiler repairs you cant expect the customer to pay for your misdiagnosis, he should have put the old ignition pcb and divertor valve back in and put it down to experience, he must be a complete muppet if he thinks he wont get a bad reputation very quickly over charging for his incompetance.

Sounds like he needs more training. Obviously he was guessing what was wrong. Unluckilly for you he started with a very expensive part (the PCB) which is often non returnable as a broken one can look immaculate, so in effect someone could change one and return the broken one to their supplier.

He should have checked the boiler out with a multi meter, and diagnosed the problem. As said, sometimes we get it wrong, and sometimes there are more than one fault.

All that aside, in my opinion I think you paid a HELL of a lot of money.

Blimey be cheaper for labour on boiler change. I am no means a good fault finder but i will nose to see if i can find the basics to try help but if i'm stuck i will pass job on and give the cust a rough estimate of labour charge so they dont get ripped off.

imo he sounds like a parts jockey! if you dont no what problem is change the pcb LOL, could of tested with a multimeter to see if correct signals were being sent to prove board is ok! but on the other hand it isnt un heard of that a boiler has more than one fault, i have had a it quite often, as a boiler works in a sequence and u can only fix the problem in the sequence then try again normally resulting in a repaired boiler but sometimes leads to a 2nd fault! thats a big bill for a ravenheat i must say my profesional advice would of been not to waste money repairing the boiler as they are trouble!!

Thanks all of you for your very helpful replies - much appreciated.

I have not yet paid the bill, but after your comments I'm planning to offer to pay the guy (self employed, not a large company by the way) for all the parts (except for the PCB) plus labour at £45 per hour for 6 hours work (made up of 2 hours diagnosis, 2 hours to fit the diverter valve and 2 hours to fit the shut off valve). This adds up to £460 - just half of his bill.

Do you guys think that is fair and reasonable???

Thanks all of you for your very helpful replies - much appreciated.

I have not yet paid the bill, but after your comments I'm planning to offer to pay the guy (self employed, not a large company by the way) for all the parts (except for the PCB) plus labour at £45 per hour for 6 hours work (made up of 2 hours diagnosis, 2 hours to fit the diverter valve and 2 hours to fit the shut off valve). This adds up to £460 - just half of his bill.

Do you guys think that is fair and reasonable???

Can only go bad!
But I agree to a point,
What if the PCB was knackered though? You've then knocked him quite a bit.
What if he has come across other problems?

For me, I'd have made the charges clear and given the customer the option to continue or pay me what I am owed and bow out gracefully.

I worked on a boiler with a friend a while ago and without a doubt the divertor valve was knackered as was the integral filling loop, we also had to replace the heat exchanger and the PRV as well. We couldn't have known all the faults and problems the boiler had. I'm not going into it all here because this is not the reason for your post. But things happen..... At the end of the job the customer had a perfectly working boiler though, the best it had been in an age...

I do think his overall cost is high etc. I don't like the thought of knocking someone, it leaves a bad taste, the flip side though, you shouldn't feel mugged off.

Try and speak to him and come to an understanding.

As I said before, I have a great deal of respect for all the professionals on this forum who give good sound advice BUT if your not standing in front of the problem or haven't seen the issues...............

this is crazy, 13 hrs??? this guys obviously doesn't know what he is doing, i can strip most boilers and replace any part within an hour. you get the odd one that might take a bit longer but not very often. i so far have a 100% record when it comes ordering the right part 1st time, (in 3 years of being self employed), and i intend on keeping it. i know there will be a time that ill get it wrong and when i do i will probably feel that it is my fault that its still not working and offer to pay for the part. i would be on to trading standards if i was you, its people like that who give the rest of us bad names.

as a comparison, i had a new battery fitted in my van (£87), 3 months later i was having problems starting in the morning, this went on for a week or so, i took it back to the same garage and they identified that they had fitted me the wrong battery, one that was designed for a 1.4petrol rather then a 2.5 turbo diesel, they wanted to charge me full price for the correct battery (£104) with no chance of refund,
i went to trading standards and they were very helpful and drafted me a letter quoting my rights and how goods should be fit for purpose and how work done should be carried out with: REASONABLE SKILL and CARE. a week later i had a full refund :)

this is why i dont get involved with boiler repairs, i dont do enough fault finidng to be assured that i will find the correct fault, i refuse to be one of those people who keep changing parts until they find the fault. i have worked with people who do that, its ok if you have a van of parts and you swap back if it aint broke, but to keep buying and charging for them is wrong imo

i agree fuzzy, if a boiler stumps me, and after talkin to technical im still none the wiser, i will give the customer someone else's phone number and leave. that way i havnt cost them a fortune and i can sleep at night :)

Seems OTT to me, some problems can be a pig to source though. Did he bother calling technical help to see iof they could assist with the problem or just bash on changing the whole boiler insides?

this is why i dont get involved with boiler repairs, i dont do enough fault finidng to be assured that i will find the correct fault, i refuse to be one of those people who keep changing parts until they find the fault. i have worked with people who do that, its ok if you have a van of parts and you swap back if it aint broke, but to keep buying and charging for them is wrong imo
Totally agree buddy

The guy should be steered well clear of until he revises his pricing policy in my opinion. £45 is fine but you can't charge for incorrect diagnosis and parts that wern't required. Worst case is he could charge for parts only but just the labour it took to fit the correct part.

The guy should be steered well clear of until he revises his pricing policy in my opinion. £45 is fine but you can't charge for incorrect diagnosis and parts that wern't required. Worst case is he could charge for parts only but just the labour it took to fit the correct part.

True, You shouldn't pay for his mistakes

Hi. I've recently had some work done on a Ravensheat combi boiler (RSF82E) by a registered CORGI engineer and think the bill is over the top. I'd be grateful for your professional comments.

The guy was called out because the boiler was not firing up when the HW tap (or CH) was turned on. After 2 hours he diagnosed a fauly ingnition PCB. After ordering a replacement (the exisiting one was only 6 months old) he returned for almost 2 hours to fit it, and as the boiler was still not working, he then diagnosed a faulty diverter valve. Having ordered that part he came back for 5 and a half hours to fit it and drain and refill the CH system. Boiler still not working, so I call him back again, and this time the diagnosis (1 hour) was a faulty low water shut off valve, which later look 2 and a half hours to fit. At last the boiler is working, but I now have a £922 bill: £582 for 13 hours of labour (hourly rate of £45 - we live in Buckinghamshire) plus £340 (incl VAT) for parts: £150 for PCB, £137 for diverter valve, £37 for shut off and £16 for radiator additive.

Checking internet prices, the parts seem about right, but my query is: should it really take 3 attempts to find and solve the problem, or is it probable that actually there were 3 separate faults that could not have been reasonably picked up in one visit.

The boiler was last serviced and certified by my regular engineer 6 months ago (he was away on holiday, hence the call to the new guy).

In short ...NO! The bloke is an incompetent. If I'd have spent that long on what to me seems a simple solution, my manager would correctly, ask questions. I'm incredulous how often I hear this. Following instructions from a manual would dictate that boiler installation is relatively simple. However repairs are quite a different proposition and it seems there are plenty of chancers about who charge what they will for their incompetence with total impunity

BTW CORGI registration does not exist any longer as it has been replaced by the Gas Safe Register. If they were still quoting CORGI they are probably unlicensed.

Similar plumbing topics

Heating repaired. Was the central heating zone...
Replies
Views
I would set the internal bypass to its max...
Replies
Views
Fan should shunt on start up. Check voltage as...
Replies
Views
Both good tests it could also filthy system...
Replies
Views
Back