experience | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss experience in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevetheplumber

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
ive seen some realy dodgy advice given on this forum from posters who you later find have only been in the trade a short while maybe we should have a line under our name when posting to show how long weve been in the game to allow diyer the chance to choose the advice they accept

5 years for me

6 years for me, hope your not referrring to me though haha, that would be a major shot in the confidence

i think its a good point you make steve, i have seen posts on here that are niave at best. this is fine if the poster starts with something like "Im led to believe" or "as far as i am aware" which is what i try to do if im not 100% sure. But when people state it as fact it can be quite misleading or possibly even dangerous.

can mods do anything to help?

I've been a plumber for 1 year repeated 30 times. Point I am making is that for maybe 15 years of that time I wasn't expanding my 'abstract' technical knowledge (regs, rules and principles) so much as I was getting better at technique and diagnostic skills (tacit work knowledge).

I think attitudes are more important than length of time served. I find it interesting why qualifications and professional status do not demark experience. Nor do qualifications really help the public in choosing a plumber.

Last edited:
left school and spent the first 6 months hustling at pool in the city center pool halls an pubs for around £40 a week,

then i started with my uncles firm in 1977 (situated next to the pool hall?) as an apprentice............got sacked in 1978 for going to canada for 6-8 weeks instead of 2:).

worked for a pub/hotel chain as a maintenance plumber/joiner 1979-81.
worked for family business on shops staff rooms pubs etc for 10 years.

went to uni for 3 years doing computer programming as was.

then did work in other family business's. and a multitude of parc work.
oh yes..2 years as a postie for the pension?/?/?

decided to take formal qualifications at dudley college
spent 2-3 years subbing doing & learning about heating & installs.
did my acs.
not worked for anyone on the books for 20 years.

cenial dementia dont help
and i hav'nt a clue. no excuse, simples?

take my answers with a pinch cause i have a warped s.o.h.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a plumber for 1 year repeated 30 times. Point I am making is that for maybe 15 years of that time I wasn't expanding my 'abstract' technical knowledge (regs, rules and principles) so much as I was getting better at technique and diagnostic skills (tacit work knowledge).

I think attitudes are more important than length of time served. I find it interesting why qualifications and professional status do not demark experience. Nor do qualifications really help the public in choosing a plumber.

at wehich point do additional years experience become less valuable, my first 5 years i probably gained more than my second 5 years and so on

left school and spent the first 6 months hustling at pool in the city center pool halls an pubs for around £40 a week,

then i started with my uncles firm in 1977 (situated next to the pool hall?) as an apprentice............got sacked in 1978 for going to canada for 6-8 weeks instead of 2:).

worked for a pub/hotel chain as a maintenance plumber/joiner 1979-81.
worked for family business on shops staff rooms pubs etc for 10 years.

went to uni for 3 years doing computer programming as was

then did work in other family business's. and a multitude of parc work.
oh yes..2 years as a postie for the pension?/?/?

decided to take formal qualifications at dudley college
spent 2-3 years subbing doing & learning about heating & installs.
did my acs.
not worked for anyone on the books for 20 years.

cenial dementia dont help
and i hav'nt a clue. no excuse, simples?

take my answers with a pinch cause i have a warped s.o.h.
If is is warped then warped is funny a at times
Ps same years as fuzzy

at wehich point do additional years experience become less valuable, my first 5 years i probably gained more than my second 5 years and so on

Fuzzy, I don't know if the years become 'less valuable', the market demands. But they can be much the same if your a jobbing plumber. We get comfortable, which aint bad, its also called having a life and a good time.

I hope this generation of plumbers can tap into a bit of a run, with the renewables.

Fuzzy, I don't know if the years become 'less valuable', the market demands. But they can be much the same if your a jobbing plumber. We get comfortable, which aint bad, its also called having a life and a good time.

I hope this generation of plumbers can tap into a bit of a run, with the renewables.
I can understand what your saying about living and working
I have spent my whole life living and working but experience it gained over many years not just after your qualified, which I think is what you mean.
Could be wrong or right though.
You are spot on with renewable sector its been my bread and butter since the 1990ies
And its even better nowadays since I have been living and working in this industry for nearly 20 years

Experience vs qualification = lets start a debate

18 years for me everyones turned green,great i asked for this months ago i guess things take time to implement

ive seen some realy dodgy advice given on this forum from posters who you later find have only been in the trade a short while maybe we should have a line under our name when posting to show how long weve been in the game to allow diyer the chance to choose the advice they accept

sounds like you just want to find out what age we are so you can choose who to groom

started as a plumbing apprentice in feb 1978, having been doing it ever since, started doing gas about 17yrs (i think)

started as a plumbing apprentice in feb 1978, having been doing it ever since, started doing gas about 17yrs (i think)
wow thats a while, when do you think you will finish it?.
good job you get the lessons for free.lol.

Trouble is, you end up making the forum competative. Who's got the longest one scenario.

People who give out dodgy advice tend to get put straight pretty quickly. Plus some of the people who have been plumbing 30+ years will still disagree on certain subjects.

I'm a qualified and experienced plumber/gas engineer. I've been doing this for over ten years.....but for all you know I could say I've been doing it for 40.

Yes Steve i agree, I cant be arsed to argue or put people right to the errors of thier ways... It would be really easy to shoot people down in flames quite often. As a general rule I try not to make a post on somthing unless iam 90% certain and even then somone who is more knowlegable on the subject can com along make you look a fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Cheers for the advice Richard, I’ll have...
Replies
Views
S
Set up on my own nearly 4 years ago now. It's...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Could be cavitation if the header tank only a...
Replies
Views
Good stuff, yep I can’t totally relate to...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
Back