experience | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss experience in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started at college 4 years ago been doing plumbing for 3 years. One of the plumbers i worked with claimed 20yrs+ experience worst plumber ever I was embarresed to work with him. I'd hope I could do a better job??? haha I don't know. As someone mentioned the balance between living and working if you live a lot and dont do much work you won't learn much but if your working in your spare time (me I hope) then the experience will be
1. more enthusiastic
2. more humble ready to admit mistakes
3. more specific
4. not ridiculous "I've been doing this job for three centuries bla bla..."

Then again I can't help but respect people with years experience its just something i don't do as automatically as I once did.

been in the trade over 17years. Gas qualified for 14.

i know people that have been in the trade for 40plus years who you would not want to work in your house and seen a 1st year apprentice do excellent work unsupervised. knowlege and experience is important but its how you use it that counts i guess.

Its not a good feeling when your relise that you dont relate to your aprentice and make him turn the volume down on the radio. :(

Last edited:
been in the trade over 17years. Gas qualified for 14.

i know people that have been in the trade for 40plus years who you would not want to work in your house and seen a 1st year apprentice do excellent work unsupervised. knowlege and experience is important but its how you use it that counts i guess.

Its not a good feeling when your relise that you dont relate to your aprentice and make him turn the volume down on the radio. :(

Fuzzy mentioned earlier that its the value of experience that counts. AWheating talks about 'knowledge and experience' - both are right.

But, experience, is dependent on 'meaning', if we are going to consider it in light of 'knowledge'.

We then have the problem of knowledge, which is not straight forward. For example, there is language knowledge, which is that described or communicated in language. This is also referred to as 'codified knowledge', abstract knowledge or propositional knowledge - all these terms are roughly the same and refer to knowlege that can exist without experience - it can be described in language - like siphonage, like venturi, like dezincification. Hence professional knowledge becomes a technical language, and can be written, and tested in colleges.

The down side to the above is that knowledge can be communicated, learned and tested, without 'meaningful understanding' on the part of the student.

Hence with this type of knowledge, understanding is suspect. The process of communicating this knowledge in teaching is referred to 'transmission' and has been found to be a very poor way of helping people to understand something. In addition, if this propositional knowledge is remembered (without understanding), it is quickly forgotten - this is also referred to as surface learning - this might explain something to those who teach.

So when does an experience become meaningful, and how does this relate to knowledge. Well most of our knowledge that we remember were 'meaninful events', those which were understood through a transactional process - actions were present.

So we can start to see why people prefer to learn in a practical way, and why this sort of knowledge is very powerful, in terms of us developing it.

However, 'doing' knowledge is not regarded in the same way as language knowledge, the latter is elvated, which dates back to the Greeks, and their 'academia'.

'Experience' alone is meaningless.

i know plenty of 'dads' who have coached school boy football for years. they claim they have a wealth of experience 20 years ive been doing this.

yes, theyve been doing it badly for 20 years

is that valuable experience?

with more years experience comes more situations and problems that people new to the game haven't experienced yet, and thats where the value of the experience comes in when you can turn to someone for advice to help you

with more years experience comes more situations and problems that people new to the game haven't experienced yet, and thats where the value of the experience comes in when you can turn to someone for advice to help you

presuming this to be the case i agree, but my point is the value of that experience.if youve been the guy or girl dressing rads and bathroom suites for the 1 day installs making good money for 20 years how experienced are you? (exaggerated for affect)

I don`t think that doing something for 20 years not correctly or proper would be possible in our trade but comparing it to coaching kids who know any different is certainly not proper or correct comparison

one thing i have learnt is not every one wants a good job they just want cheap example is guy wants kitchen plumbed in sink washing machine and fridge i say £200 he says im not paying that ill give you 150 now i could say no and walk away but ive learnt the customer is alway right so he gets£150 job
flexis under everything all in plastic hardly any clips wash macs behind machines im happy his happy job done
personally id prefer to do it right with some nice clipped supplies in cupboard wash macs where you can get to them to turn them of in an emergency copppper pipes cos if i dont take his money some one else will
the experience comes in because i know the dfference

Last edited:
I don`t think that doing something for 20 years not correctly or proper would be possible in our trade but comparing it to coaching kids who know any different is certainly not proper or correct comparison

i agree, i was just using those exaggerated examples to prove my point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Cheers for the advice Richard, I’ll have...
Replies
Views
S
Set up on my own nearly 4 years ago now. It's...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Could be cavitation if the header tank only a...
Replies
Views
Good stuff, yep I can’t totally relate to...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
Back