experience | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss experience in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have been made a trusted advisor due to your informed and informative posts
Well done

dont worry fuzzy its not a STD , :)

imho if we had this and a visitor took say my advice , and i was right but they went away and did it there way and something went wrong they would be back on here like a shot moaning like a girl.thus causing a lot of agro. i appreciate they can still do this but its like saying only trust me not them so whats the point. my mentor has a good 40 years on me and on a few occasions ive had to put him right. no one except kirk knows everything.

He don't know what real work is anymore
Lucky so and so
Kirk that is

dont worry fuzzy its not a STD , :)

imho if we had this and a visitor took say my advice , and i was right but they went away and did it there way and something went wrong they would be back on here like a shot moaning like a girl.thus causing a lot of agro. i appreciate they can still do this but its like saying only trust me not them so whats the point. my mentor has a good 40 years on me and on a few occasions ive had to put him right. no one except kirk knows everything.

its a well known fact that kirk invented gas plumbing lol!

None of us know eveything, a lot of plumbing particularly fault finding is trail and error, our advice is to be tried but is not guaranteed to be correct all the time. like my own work, sometimes it goes wrong, but i always put it right

ive seen some realy dodgy advice given on this forum from posters who you later find have only been in the trade a short while maybe we should have a line under our name when posting to show how long weve been in the game to allow diyer the chance to choose the advice they accept

Hope it wasn't me that gave dodgy advice - if it was then please put me straight before I do it wrong myself!!!

Good idea but not sure how you could police it?

i like that one,

Trial & error ltd
plumbing & heating
services
c&g 6129 qualified engineers
call; 0800111999 quickly

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Ive been in Building services since about 1996, got my gas tickets in 2001, been self employed about 7 yrs. But I don't think its a good idea to get involved in a "Ive been in the game longer than you so my advice is better" kind of scenario. Might turn a lot of people away and DIY'ers shouldn't be touching gas anyway!
But I see the point being made, anybody can sit on the internet for hours with a few good plumbing books and google and hey presto! Internet plumber!..lol

But I see the point being made, anybody can sit on the internet for hours with a few good plumbing books and google and hey presto! Internet plumber!..lol

but thats what you get anyway, every time you phone up tech services. 'ullo mi nome is jeremy, ow can i elp u dis day'?.

god i realy feel old now i finished my apprentesip in 1975 had about 3 years out of the trade in the late 70s/80s and back in till now
must admit its hard now to keep up with developements not sure if i will do my acs again

i started my apprenticeship in 1972. since then i've worked in just about every aspect of plumbing and heating you can think of. in 2008 i was involved in a car crash and suffered total amnesia. after which i did a fast track plumbing course and now i'm back in the game. 'course i don't know my coupler from my elbow but i can still give decent advice. for instance the other day when someone mentioned their rad was hot at the top and cold at the bottom and i suggested it might be sludge and everyone disagreed.

i started my apprenticeship in 1972. since then i've worked in just about every aspect of plumbing and heating you can think of. in 2008 i was involved in a car crash and suffered total amnesia. after which i did a fast track plumbing course and now i'm back in the game. 'course i don't know my coupler from my elbow but i can still give decent advice. for instance the other day when someone mentioned their rad was hot at the top and cold at the bottom and i suggested it might be sludge and everyone disagreed.

If it makes you feel any better I always listen to your advice!

i think we must also consider the value of the experience as well as the total years

Started with British Gas back in 1986.

I started to learn how it really is in the real world 9 years ago when I left the holiday/sick pay and pension to start my own company.

most of the questions,come from the trade anyway! other plumbers having problem on job and trying to explain the situation and asking for advice, the other view. As you all will accept i think, sometimes we face problems, and the answer can be just in front of us and because of the stress of the work we may not see it. I think this is nothing to do with the experience. when you advice to diyer's, best advice should be not to touch the complicated jobs anyway. never advice a diyer to do a complicated job that can cause more problem. This my opinion. And other if you think someone giving wrong advice you should explain,maybe that person misunderstood the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Cheers for the advice Richard, I’ll have...
Replies
Views
S
Set up on my own nearly 4 years ago now. It's...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Could be cavitation if the header tank only a...
Replies
Views
Good stuff, yep I can’t totally relate to...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
Back