Ffs | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter jase158
  • Start date
  • Replies 86
  • Views 1K

Discuss Ffs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

apprentice started Monday: so far he has broke my SDS drill, which led to me trying to fix it, cutting my hand and putting a screwdriver through my brand new tv so total cost £400. smoked at the door of customers house and stunk the house out, had his bum showing on 4-5 occasions (that I have noticed) been on the phone (both things are clearly on contract that he must not do) absolutely mullered a few radiator tails, went to the van about 8 times just to come back and say "I don't know what that is" has completely not listened to me and ignored what I told him, I asked him to put paste on compression joints and he did it for 2-3 and left the rest, I told him to cover boiler as drilling near it this morning and 5 seconds later I hear drilling, " have you covered boiler?" "where's dust sheet?" is his reply. The worst thing for me is the lack of looking for things, I ask him to get something and 2 minutes later he comes back and say's "I cant find it" obviously he hasn't looked very well. Is this usual things for beginners? (baring in mind that he has worked for a building company previously) or is he just rubbish?

Sounds like you having a tough time mate.

Sounds like to me he work shy to me. How long he on probation for as such?

How did he break your SDS Jase and how did you screwdriver end up wrecking your TV?

Is he more trouble than he's worth?

Yeah that's the one, he is work shy and really comes across as such, but is this something that passes or will he always be like this?

He didn't put the sds chisel in properly is my guess, snapped the bit and half of it was stuck in the chuck, I was trying to get it out, cut my finger and screwdriver flew out of my hand, so not directly his fault but I would of been in bed instead of doing that if he hadn't broke it as need it tomorrow.

The worst thing is that I had a friend help me out, he was keen and eager, asked if he could clean the van instead of standing around, gave everything a try and was fun to be around, I feel like I am comparing the 2 and can't really make an informed decision especially now my new tv is broke!!

He didn't put the sds chisel in properly is my guess, snapped the bit and half of it was stuck in the chuck, I was trying to get it out, cut my finger and screwdriver flew out of my hand, so not directly his fault but I would of been in bed instead of doing that if he hadn't broke it as need it tomorrow.

Pin nosed pliers gets em out..........size nine gets him out!

My first question is why have you got a tv a work?!
lol, its at home, couldn't get it out earlier so tried tonight!! good job it wasn't custards tv!! now you tell me about the long nose pliers!! don't think it would of worked though, but worth a go!!

TV is going back tomorrow under the lines of "lines just started appearing!!" if I get a replacement and the drill is ok, I will have a think, but my main problem is I cant help thinking what's in it for me? I help him get his NVQ, I help him learn, he uses my tools (and breaks them) yet I have to watch him work or he has to watch me, so quite simply there is absolutely no benefit to me at all at the moment for over a year, in which time he could disappear.

lol, its at home, couldn't get it out earlier so tried tonight!! good job it wasn't custards tv!! now you tell me about the long nose pliers!! don't think it would of worked though, but worth a go!!

worked for me on many occasions

Ive just finished my apprentiship.

can safely if i did any of that i would have been a gonner.
two apprentices after and they lasted a week each.

current one is keen, willing and smart.

she makes good tea aswell!

Jase don't give him to much to do at first ! He needs to learn where your tools are stored . He needs to learn how to organise your van and to keep it clean and tidy ( is your van a mess? ) .
Get him to do basic things and slowly give him more work , don't expect him to be knowing it all from day 1 , give him a chance !
Have a conversation and explain what you expectations are and you have to train him .......
again give time and explain things , don't listen to others saying to get rid of him .
i had few apprentices (helpers) and they are hard work but once they have been trained they all have made my day a lot easy

Plumbers mate aka Lee did not know how to change a radiator valve when he started with me , but now he is working for a big company and he was been a bad boy many times , but when you take a deep breath and explain it all he always did as he was told and did learn thing or two from me ......
NEW mate needs min 2 to 4 weeks to train him how to tools correct in the van along with this to train him even how to speak to you in front of a customer (things to say and things not to say ) its not a easy task to train some one tbh

time to show them the door ,were only as good as our reputations do you want them ruining yours

time to show them the door ,were only as good as our reputations do you want them ruining yours

no but if you do let them go then you will never be able to train anyone the way you want him/her to be working and earning you money as they learn !!!
everyone must be given a chance Lee

sorry fella disagree this time , phones are a no no if your on a job , same as smoking time and a place.

if any tradesman turned up at my door smoking they wouldn't get in ,

just shows me he has no respect for his employer or the customer and thats before you give him a tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Back