High water bills __________ | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss High water bills __________ in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Not sure if this is in the right section or even the right website but just wanted to query water meters and bills before I ring UU tomorrow, just had are bi-annual water bill and are monthly bill is shooting from £33 to £72 a month, to me this seems massively over what I would expect to pay, it's only me and my girlfriend living at the property, on average about 7-10 baths a week, no showers. Dishwasher and washing machine about 3 times each a week. No garden for watering plants. It estimates that we use about 560l of water a day.
Could there be a faulty meter? Or a leak between the meter outside and my internal stopcock? I'm certain there are no leaks within the property. Really not happy.
Thanks

Something worth mentioning is at the rear of the property they're used to be a toilet fed from an old lead pipe which disappears into a concrete floor, the toilet was removed an the pipe capped off, upon removing the toilet we discovered that my stopcock in the road didn't isolate this supply, which has lead me to think "where is this water coming from? and who is paying for it? Are any of my neighbours paying for this and possibly vice versa?

Almost certain I don't have a leak as I re did all the hot and cold pipework past my incoming stopcock and all the plumbing joints are surface mounted so I could access them for if I ever got any leaks. Thinking of getting my own meter and fitting it within my property and comparing the two readings?

There’s no need
Test 1 - turn off your internal stopcock and check reading on meter in the evening then the following morning if it’s changed then there’s a leak on the supply pipe from the boundary
Test 2 - leave your internal stopcock open and take a measurement in the evening then the following morning if there’s any change then you have an internal leak past your internal stopcock. It doesn’t have to be as severe as a leaking pipe, a toilet dripping constantly and overflowing into itself, albeit gradually, still mounts up very quickly.

There’s no need
Test 1 - turn off your internal stopcock and check reading on meter in the evening then the following morning if it’s changed then there’s a leak on the supply pipe from the boundary
Test 2 - leave your internal stopcock open and take a measurement in the evening then the following morning if there’s any change then you have an internal leak past your internal stopcock. It doesn’t have to be as severe as a leaking pipe, a toilet dripping constantly and overflowing into itself, albeit gradually, still mounts up very quickly.

Thanks I'll try this tonight and report back

Yes, can't see how I'm using that much
you should be using 9m3 maximum so thats 20m3 going missing or 4m3 per week or 5 + telephone boxes full of water.
Thats got to show, unless its found a drain. What type of ground, clay, sand, hard stuff concerete, flags tell us more. I did a McCarthy Stone with 78 leaky overflows trickling into the bog pans ...suprising what volume can pass Rob Foster
aka centralheatking

We had a water meter put in a year ago. We used on average 1 cubic metre a week, that’s 145 litres a day. We have showers. A bath might take 80 litres.

Sounds like the water is leaking somewhere. Put you ear to the cold water tap and see if you can hear rushing water.

A school in Warwickshire got a £26000 bill because of a leak.

Similar plumbing topics

I
  • Question
Not normally as the stop tap is before the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It's outside on the pavement
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ha easier said than done cutting back to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Take flow readings where ever you can. Just...
Replies
Views
  • Question
1 is filling loop passing. 2 if it’s a combi...
Replies
Views
Back