Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 19 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter REDSAW
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 191K

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

Always advise your apprentice to rub everflux in to his cuts as it stops them bleeding. Oh that's right it just hurts a lot . That serves him right for breaking 3 back nuts on the bath taps!!

Always swap the crappy plastic backnuts for brass ones and find another excuse to batter the tea biatch!

when draining a hot water cylinder and want to know how much water is left get the other end of hose pipe start from top and slowly lower down side of cylinder water will rise up hose pipe and come out at same height of water in cylinder

when draining a hot water cylinder and want to know how much water is left get the other end of hose pipe start from top and slowly lower down side of cylinder water will rise up hose pipe and come out at same height of water in cylinder

or give it a rattle and judge it yourself, if its light enough to carry that's good enough for me use some speed fit caps to cap outlets to prevent spills

Or stick a hammer through the bottom and drain it into the room below. Works for me, and no complaints (as long as I'm still holding the hammer). :) :) :) LOL.

Last edited:

video camera with light on your phone in the hard areas you cant get your head in

next one to post a non hint or tip collects 3 point and gets deleted any way.
start your own thread.....
i'm in a mood.

thank you.

Always take your boots off when going in to the clients house. Small things make a big impact. Make sure your socks don't have holes in! Bloody apprentice !

I worked for my father for years. So I was used to pricing jobs up and dealing with clients.

Eventually I just go someone to design a logo (I'd chosen a name) and put a few ads in the paper. I had a few of my own clients allready by that point.

Business has been steadilly growing. I'm not about to become a millionaire and I don't want to get off the tools. I'd be happier if I could afford to pay someone to do the paper work and for me to stay on the tools!

Biggest attribute of mine is I can talk to the clients and build trust. Trust is everything. Imagine you letting a stranger in your house to fit a boiler or a fire. You'd want to know you could trust them.

next one to post a non hint or tip collects 3 point and gets deleted any way.
start your own thread.....
i'm in a mood.

thank you.

Fair enough!!

Hint - If your concerned a solvent weld fitting may take a while to get in the correct posistion (for example you have two akward joints to make and they have to be done in tandem) then apply much more solvent cement than you would normally do. This will buy you a bit more time but we're only talking seconds, not minutes.

What i tend to do with solvent weld fittings (say 2 45's at a certain angle) is place them on the desired length of pipe with out glue that you join the two with then mark a line across both of them with a felt tip, or pencil.

Then glue up the pipe and fittings and twist the fittings to marry the line up on both fittings and pipe. Leave to set.

This piece can then be incorporated into the pipe work at the correct angle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Always take your boots off when going in to the clients house. Small things make a big impact. Make sure your socks don't have holes in! Bloody apprentice !

Especially the industrial dancing pumps pit bits.jpg

Always hit your apprentice once a day, but never with the same object twice!

I have found targetting properties with for sale signs outside has been very worthwhile this year. I ask the people there to leave my flier for the new people, and also I have had quite a bit of work from the people there when they move to their new houses.

One couple actually asked me to come with them when they were viewing prospective houses and give them an idea of costs for a new heating system and bathroom for a couple of places they had narrowed their choice down to. They bought the house and I got the job to do all the plumbing, and I also got the kitchen refit and joinery work for my joiner friend, the decorating for my decorator friend and all the electrics for my electrician friend all from one knock at one door.

I have found targetting properties with for sale signs outside has been very worthwhile this year. I ask the people there to leave my flier for the new people, and also I have had quite a bit of work from the people there when they move to their new houses.

One couple actually asked me to come with them when they were viewing prospective houses and give them an idea of costs for a new heating system and bathroom for a couple of places they had narrowed their choice down to. They bought the house and I got the job to do all the plumbing, and I also got the kitchen refit and joinery work for my joiner friend, the decorating for my decorator friend and all the electrics for my electrician friend all from one knock at one door.

pity you dont have an 'solicitor' friend you could have got a 1% skim of the top.lol.

top tip..... Never stop learning

Had a call out late one evening to an overflowing loft tank. Hole in ball-valve, did not have one in the motor and shops closed.

Removed ball valve emptied it, put it back on arm, covered with plastic bag and used cable ties to secure open end to arm.

Not a drop of water in the bag when I returned the next afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Really helpful tips and hits which makes plumbing safe and easy, Sydney plumbers are experienced to suggest more tips.

Trade adverts in local newspapers are a waste of money.

I get 200-300 a week from local rag which only costs 8 quid so it works for me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Article
Compex EX 04 fail Hi. I’m new to the Forum...
Replies
Views
Jackson123
J
  • Question
I have some 3 and 4 port valves from them and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I never have, but if it were a decent place...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
Back