Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 29 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter REDSAW
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 190K

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a great tip! Although I'm not sure why you'd need ptfe on cylinder unions.

There is the odd occasion when you can't get the standard cylinder unions on and this could be handy (I used to do it). Most of the time now I use stainless steel cylinders which come with compression fittings already in place.

Must be a regional thing, I've always been taught to use female irons on cylinders and that is what I'm given by the merchants when I ask for the fittings for one.

i have to admit aswell for years i used FI on cylinders, normally got them in fittings packs from the company i was working for. I do use the proper unions now.

Got to say, I've use Fi's for years too!

If a comp' fitting would work on the cylinder, I would use that.

I am sure when I compared cylinder coil fittings to Fi's the Fi's were cheaper.

I haven't fitted a vented cylinder for a few years.

I've changed the odd one that's split, and they normally have FI fittings on em if my memory is right.

Must be a regional thing, I've always been taught to use female irons on cylinders and that is what I'm given by the merchants when I ask for the fittings for one.

Well there you go! Apologies for the slight!

I am sure when I compared cylinder coil fittings to Fi's the Fi's were cheaper.

Just checked plumbfix prices and 22 x 1"FI is exactly the same price as 22 x 1" cylinder unions.

I find cylinder unions quicker to use as there is no faffing about with tape though. Just a wee smear of jet blue.

Keep a pair of old 15mm and a pair of old Belmont type radiator valves in your van so if you are taking a radiator off without draining the system you can whack them on the radiator when disconnected so you don't drip black water around when you take it outside.

Keep a pair of old 15mm and a pair of old Belmont type radiator valves in your van so if you are taking a radiator off without draining the system you can whack them on the radiator when disconnected so you don't drip black water around when you take it outside.
Any chance of a pic to help us see what you mean.

Just checked plumbfix prices and 22 x 1"FI is exactly the same price as 22 x 1" cylinder unions.

I find cylinder unions quicker to use as there is no faffing about with tape though. Just a wee smear of jet blue.

Just checked plumb c. £3.80 for Fi £4.43 for cyl.union in EF.

Close the valves to keep the water in the system, undo the valves off the radiator and swap for your old ones, keeps the water in the radiator without having to rely on putting your thumbs over the holes!

Try looking at Williams and Co. prices, much better than those. A lot cheaper than Plumbfix as well.

Gonna order a cylinder and boiler from them this week, just printed off the account form :)
That reminds me to PM Ray.

Close the valves to keep the water in the system, undo the valves off the radiator and swap for your old ones, keeps the water in the radiator without having to rely on putting your thumbs over the holes!

Turn the radiator upside down ! But make sure bleed screw is closed !

Or as I said a few weeks ago
When removing rads:
(Assuming you've prepared the system appropriately and have your old towels under the valves etc)..
Have a couple of male compression caps at hand (1/2 or 3/4 dependng) and, once the rad is undone from the valve, gently separate and lob the cap in between, then do your rad-side nut up. No need to drain inside the house, no leakage, just carry outside and empty there. (obviously this will make the rad heavier so this will only work if its a smallish rad, or if there are 2 of you, or if you look like Croppie and can lift one in each hand...:))

Read more: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/p...umbing-no-banter-please-45.html#ixzz2PFZTWmMG
:37:

just crack the rad nut and use you wet n dry to suck up the rad contents, flick rad upside down and walk it out. No spills, no mess, no doing your back in! simples

Thanks for the heads up Danny. Bought one today. Thanks to mike for the idea too 2013-04-02 16.04.02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Article
Compex EX 04 fail Hi. I’m new to the Forum...
Replies
Views
Jackson123
J
  • Question
I have some 3 and 4 port valves from them and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I never have, but if it were a decent place...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
Back