Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter REDSAW
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 190K

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

just to add to my previous post.

A property is probably the single most highest investment anyone will ever make, its their own little private castle. to let a virtual stranger inside is daunting for many, if you are aware of this and conduct yourself in a respectful manner it will make them feel at ease. many people would prefer somebody they feel at ease with to come into their home and often this is secondry to what you do!

ps, this is how ive made a living because im cr.@p at plumbing! lol

Not sure if posted before,but I'll post it anyway.

Most new heating system are now pressurized,but the only down side to this type of system is that it wont top itself up if you vent/bleed or even drain down so you have to do it manually,which can be a pain at times.

This tip is mainly for larger systems & if you are working alone.

There is nothing worse then filling up a large pressurized HS on your own,as you are back & fourth to the filler every time you vent/bleed a few rads just to keep the water lever at 1 or maybe 2bar depending on the size of the system.

If you have a 15mm pressure reducing valve spare,then fit it to the filling loop & set it to the holding pressure of you choice & leave the main feed on,that way the system will just keep filling as you bleed/vent the rads & will stay at the set pressure,this cuts out going back & fourth to the filler to top up. Once the system is filled vented/bled/heat tested remove the pressure reducing. Job done:)

Last edited by a moderator:

a wet vac is an essential piece of kit - if water spills on the custards carpet, even it is dirty rad water, dont mop it up just get your wet vac on it, 95% of it will get removed, even if dirty as long as you dont rub it first.

get a selection of small plastic food boxes to use to drain down pipes under the floor. Stick yuour wet vac in the tray to cope with any excess of water on the drain down.

get a load of old towels for the van, as absorvant as possible, as they are the ideal first measure when you have a leak, and will even soak up water from the floor as well. Very handy as well if you need to do some live workk, just wedge them in the right places!!

Right on my,wet vac one of my my first purchase on recomendation £35 from screwfix, used most days and nevere let me down yet.Makes light work of draining rads too!

Bob:)

if you ever struggle trying to solder a pipe with water in it buy a laser fluid extractor from screwfix or similar, cut the hose that comes with it and the clear plastic pipe remaining connects straight to 10mm speedfit so reduce/enlarge it to any size you want and suck the fluid out of the pipe making it easy too solder!! also good for priming oil lines if there below ground level.

Cordless Angle Grinder with 1mm metal blade for ease of cutting flu's and any bolts/screws etc which require a slight trim

Can vouch for the Armeg drop jaw wrench for tightening bath / basin taps. has helped out in alot of situations.

and as said before spend as much money on kit as you can afford, if you cant buy the decent stuff first time round keep saving, alot of the cheap stuff is just tat, granted some of it is ok. i try to have every bit of equipment/tool on me to make my job as easy as possible.

Be presentable where possible and polite 100% of the time, manners cost nothing. i also beleive there is no room for messy tradesmen who never clean up after themselves.

1 last piece of advice, when setting up pipework for radiators etc if its gotta be 1290 centres make sure it is 1290, not 1280 and that will do, and make sure its fixed well ie saddle clips so there not going too move not just nail on clips. plasterers are ruthless so if they start off a little bit out and or inadequately clipped and end up too far out and looking poo or you end up chopping more plaster out.

not sure if thats gonna help anyone or i just wanted too rant but hope everyone is well :D

Last edited:

if you ever struggle trying to solder a pipe with water in it

Never heard of the old plumbers bread trick? If you can push a small peace of bread ( depending on size of pipe ) into the pipe you want to solder,the bread will hold back the water enough for you to solder. I've have tired this on 15mm & 22mm works fine,not tried 28mm though.when finished turn water back on.The bread is so soft it will just break down when water is back on.

What is wrong with fitting pushfit to chrome pipe?

Chrome pipe has a very smooth finish,push will just slid off it.

Tip,you can buy a scoring tool to mark the pipe to let the push fit grab ring hold tight,or you can just file off the chrome enough for the fitting to go on.

little tip much quicker using compression on chrome try filing alot of chrome pipes got that as a job once as a boy

Found a pic of the multi pipe size scoring tool for chrome pipe..:cool: chrome pipe scroing tool.jpg

There's a material called PVA that's used in carp fishing. You can buy little bags made of it. The idea is to put all your bait in it and cast out and it dissolves in water over a couple of minutes. I've not used it but it could work for the old bread trick. I was thinking of it yesterday when trying to solder a 28mm pipe that was dripping. I just turned the mapp torch up full!

If you're cutting into a pipe and you're not sure if it's isolated at the right valve,don't dive in with your pipeslice,make a small cut with a hacksaw,if when you break the surface you've still got full pressure you can wrap some duct tape around the pipe and look for the right valve without water spraying everywhere.

indeed i have heard of the old bread trick and personally think its gotta be one of the roughest approaches ever. people pay hundreds of pounds protecting central heating systems from sludge and debris with things like magnacleans, spirotechs etc for people such as yourselves to introduce bread into the system. me thinks its not going too be very good for them heat exchangers, or even if its on hot / cold pipework its gonna get stuck in a filter somewhere. but thats just my tuppence worth. im all for having the correct tool for the job.

I was taught by an old school plumber,so from time to time I use old school methods.I was talking small amounts of bread & for smaller pipe.The bread when soaked through will just dissolve.

Tip: dont go pushing a french stick up a pipe that wont dissolve!:rolleyes:

I always put a 5pence piece and a washer in a open end of a ballafix if i leave a job for a while and there are others on site
blank off a 22mm pipe the same with a 10p piece and washer
I always fit a screw on end cap to blank off open ended valves. Cheaper than using your hard earned cash in a fitting.

If you're unsure when you cut through a pipe about the amount of water involved that might come out, keep a couple of Speedfit push fit stop ends (2 in case you drop/lose one in your panic and put them a good foot or two from each other in case you lose them both at the same time).

A true plumber should NEVER panic even when it is all coming down around him:p

i made a little something for my bending guides to keep them in good condition, consists of 2no 2" coupler (solvent) 2no 2"access plugs short piece of 2" pipe, glue together and you have yourself a nice place to keep your guides safe :)

Replace 3ports one wire at a time!!!!

When hanging radiators use two spirit levels. Attach first bracket, then measure distance to next bracket. Put long spirit level on top of both and use small one to make the next bracket vertical. If one hole goes wrong when drilling, make another hole. (For the less experienced, short side out for double rads and long side out for singles.)

When using spirit levels there's no need to paint a Tony Hart sketch all over the wall. Just one small (maybe 2) pencil marks.

Buy a mechanics magnetic dish for servicing and repairs on boilers,fires,etc. Put all the screws,bolts and nuts in it,saves a lot of hassle trying to find bits that have fallen into the dustsheet!

sometimes use a household mop to 'plunge' the trap/water seal on a wc pan for releasing some blockages. Take the bucket as well though, doesn't drip on the carpet then!!!!

A true plumber should NEVER panic even when it is all coming down around him:p

That's my boss for you! he never panics.

Many years ago I cut through a 28mm mains feed pipe with a skill saw!
( I didn't know the pipe was there ) anyway,you can imagine the mess this must of made,water poring through the kitchen ceiling below!who walks in right at this moment,my boss...:eek: he says & I quote " what happened?" so I told him,he say's "oh,water off?" told him it was off, he said "ok,good,did you fill the kettle before you turned it off?" I said kettle was full,he said "good lad make me a coffee!" & that was it! & he's never changed!:D

So there's another tip for you "always make sure kettle is full before you turn any water off,no matter the situation!"

use this tool handy peace of kit small mirror extends to 610mm ideal for inspecting and a magnet on end of it for catching screws etc

http://www.sc r e w
fix.com/search.do;jsessionid=I3ZUU4VFVDZNYCSTHZOCFFQ?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=64760

Don't make a small cut with a hacksaw if you're not 100% sure the pipe is isolated -use a 3mm drill bit and have a short self tapping screw wound with PTFE handy which you can screw into the hole and stop the water completely if you are wrong!

When using the bread trick make sure it is sufficiently down the pipe that it won't carbonise when soldering or it WILL cause a blockage!!

when i am soldering and i cannot see right round the fitting i use a dentists mirror to see all round to make sure it is properly soldered.

Don't make a small cut with a hacksaw if you're not 100% sure the pipe is isolated -use a 3mm drill bit and have a short self tapping screw wound with PTFE handy which you can screw into the hole and stop the water completely if you are wrong!

When using the bread trick make sure it is sufficiently down the pipe that it won't carbonise when soldering or it WILL cause a blockage!!

I can go one better than that!!

On the very rare occasions that I'm unsure of isolation in a pipe, I use a self cutting washing machine valve (£4 at screwfix).

It cuts and seals at the same time. You turn the little tap head that is attached to the valve and it opens the valve. If there is a long dead leg, you can drain it off with control, if its still live, you just close the tap and sort it.

Here you go, a link to a self cutting/sealing drain valve, under four quid. Drain valve is even better than a W/M valve as you can attach a hose to drain it down.

Check Valves & Strainers & Drain Cocks

Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing

When you need to fasten a condenser to the motor casing (for oil boilers) you will find that the space where the nut goes you can't get a ring spanner or socket into as it's too small. However what is perfect for the job is a 13mm box spanner of the type used for tightening monoblock taps which most plumbers will have in their toolkit.

Motor2.jpg
This bit. The nut is recessed in the flange casting. Those who do oil will know what I am on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Article
Compex EX 04 fail Hi. I’m new to the Forum...
Replies
Views
Jackson123
J
  • Question
I have some 3 and 4 port valves from them and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I never have, but if it were a decent place...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
Back