Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 5 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter REDSAW
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 190K

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

instead of using dear trade wipes for siliconeing use baby wipes as long as they have citric acid they will remove silicone

making up rads? get a 22mm socket for the plug and vent for the trv tail get a 16mm spanner

faulting boilers?NEVER TELL THE CUSTARD WHAT THE EXACT FAULT IS unless you have the spares to hand say it could be the aps or venturies i will buy both,you just pay for whichever it is or words along those lines because other wise you risk getting stung

i'm just too nice.

There is being nice and being stupidly nice which usually costs you. Learn just to be nice but keep your cards to your chest. The world is not the place it was 20 years ago.

Never heard of the old plumbers bread trick? If you can push a small peace of bread ( depending on size of pipe ) into the pipe you want to solder,the bread will hold back the water enough for you to solder. I've have tired this on 15mm & 22mm works fine,not tried 28mm though.when finished turn water back on.The bread is so soft it will just break down when water is back on.

Chrome pipe has a very smooth finish,push will just slid off it.

Tip,you can buy a scoring tool to mark the pipe to let the push fit grab ring hold tight,or you can just file off the chrome enough for the fitting to go on.

Use a cordless dremel tool for this task then you can solder the chrome pipe with chrome removed to copper.

Invest in a wet hoover.

Thin slices of 20mm and 25mm blue MDPE pipe are ideal for centralising basin and bath taps in their holes respectively. (some you may need to cut the ring to open up).

After switching the mains back on when your finished your job, always check your cutomer's electric shower and toilet cistern are working and any taps in the house using mains water, a 5 minute check will save an unneccessary call back.

After switching the mains back on when your finished your job, always check your cutomer's electric shower and toilet cistern are working and any taps in the house using mains water, a 5 minute check will save an unneccessary call back.

Might be worth checking these BEFORE you turn the mains off too, just in case a customer says it's your fault and they were working fine before you turned up!

and make sure the washing machine/dishwashers off first before turning it off in the first place,had a custard today ring up (he fancies himself as a wanna be plumber) him just changed my tap washer and now the washing machine wont fill up ,whats gone wrong me you have killed its solenoid buddy,it was running when you turned the cold main off wasn't it ? him eh yes wife switched it on without telling me(liar )anyway can you fix it? me no,i am a plumber call a repairer

Last edited by a moderator:

If you think there is an underground leak between the outside underground stopcock and the house, turn off the main stopcock inside the house and screw down the outside one until just to say open. With the crutch key on top of the stopcock, put your ear to the t handle of the crutch key and turn off and on. If there is a leak you can often hear rushing water from the valve head.

Last edited:

To remove black sludge thats come out of a radiator onto carpet, do not try to wipe it up or rub it, it will just push it into the pile of the carpet. Use an atomiser spray the area with water and soak up with a wet vacuum cleaner. Lifts it out of the carpet. Worked on small amounts. The miracles of a battery wet and dry hoover, can get you out of all sorts of trouble. :D

Last edited:

Fix your grinder key or electric saw key or any other spanner that a tool requires with a cable tie down near the plug. It not only stops it from getting lost, but is a reminder to unplug the tool first before changing the blade.

To remove black sludge thats come out of a radiator onto carpet, do not try to wipe it up or rub it, it will just push it into the pile of the carpet. Use an atomiser spray the area with water and soak up with a wet vacuum cleaner. Lifts it out of the carpet. Worked on small amounts. The miracles of a battery wet and dry hoover, can get you out of all sorts of trouble. :D

Also gas ldf spray is quite handy this too

Where would I get hold of one and for how much?

If you have dewalt power tools, get a dewalt one batterary powered or 240V. I use for everything from sucking water out of toilets (make sure no richard the thirds are in there though lol), into remove water in a pipe that wont drain away, Cobbled up an attachment to a hose pipe to fit on pipe, to suck the water out so I can solder

something i try and worked perfect today ! black sludge from radiator on cream carpet !!!! solution ...

wet vac on it strait away follow with Mr Muscle window cleaner sprayed on it fingers on it left and right front and back till it starts to create foam then whet vac on it result was amazing IT LOOK AS NEW AS IT COMES FROM THE SHOP(and this was on light cream carpet)

How to perfectly match the hot water to family needs

Capacity hot water tank should be carefully chosen. Why? Because the tray is not too small to provide a comfortable amount of water for washing and bathing. Too big - will increase the cost of operating the plant. Before you choose a tray, so take into account how many people lived in the house and how many points at the same time will be charged with water. For example, in a is the easiest way to determine the size of the tank based on simultaneous use of water by major points, namely bath and shower. To fill a small bathtub you need less than 100 liters, large - up to 250 liters a ten And when showering, we can use only 70 or even 250 l. It depends on the type of batteries installed.
If you are using a standard spray flow is 7-8 l / min, but for a hydro-massage shower panel ranges from 15 to 25 l / min. Then we add up these two values ​​(eg 100 L + 10 min x 7 l / min) and on this basis, we choose a model of a tray, which is within 10 minutes will give us at least a flow of water. In the catalogs manufacturers specify this parameter as the technical performance of the initial, or temporary.
Choosing the tray in addition to its capacity and efficiency should also pay attention to how to heat water. The choice we have several solutions, but the tanks are the most popular coil, and layered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stain the whole carpet black,and convince Mrs Jones that she's having one of her turns.And should pay you double.

Dont waste your money on a heat mat, i always use my hand saw. Its flexible enough and always protects the walls.

If you get black sludge on a carpet, just blame the boy. Isn't that what apprenticeships are for? ;-)

wickes wet and dry hoover paid for itself in five minutes I went to a job where they had installed a bathroom downstairs but they could not get any water until I arrived

joke a side ,this customer was in a wheel chair and had a bedroom converted to a bathroom but the guy who did the job said the pipes or pump may need replacing and fair play to him he did an excellent job, I was called to solve the problem and suggested trying sticking the hoover on the shower outlet to clear the air lock , 2 minutes later hot water customers delighted and I suggested buying one herself cheaper than calling me out LOL

This is defo a money saving tip , clear your van out , I have driven around for 20 years with vans carrying everything , Nowadays I am slinging stuff out that I have had for over 10 years

Get cone shaped rubber bungs. Very handy if the house is off of storage and you don't want to be messing about with old gatevalves.

Just stick them in the storage tank at the draw offs, also saves you draining and refilling the tank if a valve jams shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Article
Compex EX 04 fail Hi. I’m new to the Forum...
Replies
Views
Jackson123
J
  • Question
I have some 3 and 4 port valves from them and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I never have, but if it were a decent place...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
Back