Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 6 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter REDSAW
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 190K

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

Get cone shaped rubber bungs. Very handy if the house is off of storage and you don't want to be messing about with old gatevalves.

Just stick them in the storage tank at the draw offs, also saves you draining and refilling the tank if a valve jams shut.
Best advice I got on this forum was to use a parsnip as a bung! Plus it counts as one of your five fruit and veggies!

R they really good ?

Yeah they have saved me alot of hassle in the past.

Had to go to a job about 2 months ago, the guy had fitted his own bathroom suite and had shut off the 2 gatevales in the loft. He managed to snap them both shut and the tank didn't have a standing waste/drain. I was in and out in 20mins because of those bungs.

They only cost about £2-£3 when i got them about 3 years ago from B&Q.

Last edited:

To clean a trap like new, put it on a quick cycle in the dish washer!

I print sheets of permanent adhesive mini laser labels with a large red H for Hot and a large Blue W for cold. Looks impressive and great on long pipe runs or where passing through a wall as it stops pipes getting crossed. Also good in elderly customer's homes as they can tell which valve to turn off for a burst.

To clean a trap like new, put it on a quick cycle in the dish washer!

I print sheets of permanent adhesive mini laser labels with a large red H for Hot and a large Blue W for cold. Looks impressive and great on long pipe runs or where passing through a wall as it stops pipes getting crossed. Also good in elderly customer's homes as they can tell which valve to turn off for a burst.

Nice idea, but I just use a roll of red/blue insulating tape. Same idea, but cheaper. Plus I have a roll of yellow for gas pipes. Some people think that all gas pipe should be painted yellow, but they're wrong and often it's useful to identify it all, even if it's just for self help!

i use a permanent marker called SHARPIES i think, they are great and will write on anything which is handy for marking pipes,wires etc

I used insulating tape for a long time, but found that it can come off when going through a tight hole in a wall while the labels stay fixed. Don't do gas only bathrooms so you'd be more creative than me Dan for a gas label.

you only need to mark or tape one pipe lol

I used insulating tape for a long time, but found that it can come off when going through a tight hole in a wall while the labels stay fixed. Don't do gas only bathrooms so you'd be more creative than me Dan for a gas label.

u make sure u sleave ur pipe work .....:)

Best advice I got on this forum was to use a parsnip as a bung! Plus it counts as one of your five fruit and veggies!

We called this the old carrot and tatie trick - A carrot in the hole and shove a potato onto the bottom of the swan neck of the vent.

Another tip - use the stub of an old candle to rub plenty of wax onto the formers of your pipe bender - easier to use and to remove the pipe.

if pipe ripple when you use your pipe bender -pre heat pipe for a bit and happy days

When fitting pipe insulation, the most useful tools are a bread knife and apple corer (the corer is to make the holes for tee joints)

junior for me and lots of cable tights

just got back in from A & E after burning my hand on pipe LOL only joking , I have had this before also benders that never rippled and now got another one that does ripple now and again ?. tip for getting rid of airlocks etc get a foot of 22mm pipe insulation and tap the end over , works great on mono block taps

re: benders rippling pipe, are the rollers screwed in to the frame properly or a bit loose? this has given me ripples in the past as it rolls uneven when loose as its off centre by a even a fraction.

I've been told that old pipe causes ripples too but the roller is the first to check.

If your pipe freezing machine stops freezing, take it to a local refrigeration eningeer rather than back to the manufacturers as its a fraction of the cost to get it regassed and serviced.

a bird in the hand, is worth 2 in the mush.

Break off a length of old hacksaw blade, about an inch or so long. Use a round file to form a half round or segment in the blade. It fits really nicely behind those awkward painted pipes and will clear away most of the paint...... don't go at it too hard 'cause you don't want to damage the pipe.
TerryH

Get a good deal with a carpet cleaning company as I've done and when doing bathroom refurbs or any other messy jobs, offer this as one of your services on your advertising. I list this as hall and carpets professionally cleaned on completion. It's got me a few jobs where many others have quoted. Of course I always put dust sheets down too and clean up after myself, but many like the idea of their carpet getting a good old shampoo after their bathroom refurb! The carpet guys win too as they get work in these quiet times.

Break off a length of old hacksaw blade, about an inch or so long. Use a round file to form a half round or segment in the blade. It fits really nicely behind those awkward painted pipes and will clear away most of the paint...... don't go at it too hard 'cause you don't want to damage the pipe.
TerryH

http://www.sc r e w f i x.com/p/rot...KHy19ZFT0zBh2ygW!1019115575?_requestid=594662

these things do the trick

I have my own carpet shampooer - why give someone else the job?
While you're busy shampooing the carpet on that job, I'm starting my next one. Why would I want to do it, if it's been paid for in the price? Don't think carpet shampooing machines are a bog standard piece of anyones plumbing kit and I doubt if very few have it either.

You completely missed the point that I was making. It is a good impressive selling point to tell your customer that a professional cleaning company will shampoo and clean their carpets like new once the job is finished.

Last edited by a moderator:

I get top hall (if job/bathroom refurb is upstairs) hall, stairs and landing professionally cleaned for £40. Doesn't cost me, because I have included this in the price. A good selling point and the carpet guys get business too.
Plenty of carpet guys in your neck of the woods in Glasgow.

If your soldering a piece of pipe and theres a little bit of water in it that you cant seem to drain out, stick a piece of bread down the end of the pipe. It soaks up the water allowing you to solder the joint AND dissolves inside the pipe when your done.

I might get some of that Just For Copper glue stuff. It is actually WRAS approved. Might be useful for places difficult to solder, or where there's water in pipe or where you want the pipework to look ultra-neat.

if your first fixing for a number of different size radiators and do not know the pipe centres use the 76mm rule. i mostly use myson stats and pro rad valves but works on others.. eg. if the length of the rad is 1200 first fix it at 1276 centres, if the length is 800 centres will be 876. saves a bit of time i find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Article
Compex EX 04 fail Hi. I’m new to the Forum...
Replies
Views
Jackson123
J
  • Question
I have some 3 and 4 port valves from them and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I never have, but if it were a decent place...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
Back