Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 37 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter REDSAW
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 190K

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Oil installers:
When you put a lovely new boiler in a lovely boiler room with all your lovely wiring centres and isolator switches......PLEASE please please, put a single socket in for my hoover...

pull the L,N,E from wiring centre and just connect your hoover

to fix a dripping 1/4 turn tap ...
Take out ceramic discs ..thin piece of plastic (the bit that joins rawlplugs together ) ...in back groove on discs .
It pushes discs back together in fitting when refitted.
Done this a few times for taps that are constantly dripping and not had time to replace or get proper cartridges .
ps ...is temporary ;)

when fitting rads under a window sill measure down from the sill for top of bracket height fix brackets pop rad in place check levels and whichever side is the high spot pop the bleed valve on . I go to quite a few complaints (not my jobs) that are rads that seem un level when infact its spot on but they look out because of the sills

Had a site agent going of nut because my radiator wasnt level...infront of customer
Let him rant for a wee bit....went out and got level. was a 1600k2x300 below a low big window.
Place level on it ...just as he was slagging ALL plumbers ( he was ex vajoiner) .
Mine level...window 25mm left to right...floor 25mm opposite way

OH how I chortled ... ;)

Had a site agent going of nut because my radiator wasnt level...infront of customer
Let him rant for a wee bit....went out and got level. was a 1600k2x300 below a low big window.
Place level on it ...just as he was slagging ALL plumbers ( he was ex vajoiner) .
Mine level...window 25mm left to right...floor 25mm opposite way

OH how I chortled ... ;)

:smug2: When fitting a rad under a sloping cill and floor, make sure the rad fools the eye even though you might have to drop one end. Our work might be crack on but if has to fit in with whatever is already there. :wink5:

i know that you can solder 8mm pipe inside a 10mm pipe if you havent got a coupling, but somebody told me today if you are changing rad valves on 8mm pipes and cant get 8mm valve or a 8-10 reducer, that if you solder a 8mm coupling on to the end of a pipe, that it will fit and not leak isnide a 10mm compression joint on the valve ?????

:smug2: When fitting a rad under a sloping cill and floor, make sure the rad fools the eye even though you might have to drop one end. Our work might be crack on but if has to fit in with whatever is already there. :wink5:
I fit my rads level. If the floor/window/house is lopsided then tough. If you want a rad fitted which isn't completely and utterly level to the millimeter then you need another plumber!

I fit my rads level. If the floor/window/house is lopsided then tough. If you want a rad fitted which isn't completely and utterly level to the millimeter then you need another plumber!
Never, everything stays in uniform with me, if a sill is out a tad, my rad will be too.

Never, everything stays in uniform with me, if a sill is out a tad, my rad will be too.
No No No. Can't do it, won't do it. I'm a bit OCD. I have a little boat level that I use on everything. Everything must be level and correct. But luckily I haven't ever actually encountered a situation where i've ever had to hang a radiator on the ****. But yeah, I wouldn't

im with whn1 on this gotta look alright from a distance...

Last edited by a moderator:
To aid adding inhibitor, leak sealer or cleaner ect Make one of these up, keep compression fitting loose as then u can keep filler upright and tighten into rad. Take blanking plug out of other side as it avoids gurgling.
Solder short end of 15mm to 22/15 end feed reducer. It fits into the neck of many screw top lemonade bottles very tightly. Cut bottom off bottle & instant funnel. Or use push fit 22/15 (If you can afford the expense) which saves soldering.

If you have a fein or any other multi tool there blades are very expensive, keep the old blades that are worn and weld hack saw blades on the end.

Little tip:

Have a system of storing your everyday tools that you repeat every single day.

I have always worked this way, but did some work with another plumber the other week, and realised he didn't do as I do.

It's all about repetition so it becomes second nature. I clip my van key with a carabiner to side as soon as I leave the van. Phone goes in pocket on left thigh. On my key ring I have a vent key, a meter key, and a washer that I can use to isolate ballafix valves in a pinch.

All my tools in the tote back go back in the exact same place every day. So does everything else in the van. So when I need something, I know where to place my hands to it straight away. How people don't work with this system is beyond me, but if you are one of these people. Adopt a system and stick to it. I do it as by nature I am a skatty forgetful person. So if I don't have a system I end up leaving tools behind, losing stuff, and generally more stressed.

Little tip:

Have a system of storing your everyday tools that you repeat every single day.

I have always worked this way, but did some work with another plumber the other week, and realised he didn't do as I do.

It's all about repetition so it becomes second nature. I clip my van key with a carabiner to side as soon as I leave the van. Phone goes in pocket on left thigh. On my key ring I have a vent key, a meter key, and a washer that I can use to isolate ballafix valves in a pinch.

All my tools in the tote back go back in the exact same place every day. So does everything else in the van. So when I need something, I know where to place my hands to it straight away. How people don't work with this system is beyond me, but if you are one of these people. Adopt a system and stick to it. I do it as by nature I am a skatty forgetful person. So if I don't have a system I end up leaving tools behind, losing stuff, and generally more stressed.

my vans like that untill i work with an apprentice, then im hunting around for weeks trying to find tools that were stuffed in gaps or thrown in.. found a pair of 14" stilsons and some thread cutting fluid in my domestic servicing box once, thought it got a bit heavy.

Yeah, lads are a bit good at upsetting the apple cart, but I always explain that I'm clearly a weirdo and must maintain the system. Then they know it's me being a gimp but that's how I have to work.

That said, got out my socket set today. Everything all over the place. Last person to use it? Apprentice.

im with whn1 on this gotta look alright from a distance...

never fit a rad out of level unless specifically told to by customer or agent you cant argue with the bubble if they want it changed afterwards then they pay if you fit it out of level and they dont like it then you have no argument cos they will always say its your fault

Yeah, lads are a bit good at upsetting the apple cart, but I always explain that I'm clearly a weirdo and must maintain the system. Then they know it's me being a gimp but that's how I have to work.

That said, got out my socket set today. Everything all over the place. Last person to use it? Apprentice.
Got two new boys, finally got them to understand clean the gear away and stack it besides the van but never load it!

Got two new boys, finally got them to understand clean the gear away and stack it besides the van but never load it!

Risky! I don't leave a screwdriver outside job or van. Walked outside to find cordless jigsaw level and tape on the front lawn of a house on a lovely estate... Hid it then asked lad to get me jigsaw..

never fit a rad out of level unless specifically told to by customer or agent you cant argue with the bubble if they want it changed afterwards then they pay if you fit it out of level and they dont like it then you have no argument cos they will always say its your fault
i do fit them unlevel. Obviously telling the cust or whoever the reasons. a level rad under a drunk sill looks awfull and a rads part of the astheatics of a room. gotta agree to disagree bud.

It is all about common sense when it comes to whether you fit a rad level or not ??

If it looks wrong then it is and as for deliberately asking to be paid extra to alter as far as I am concerned you would be flying off site very fast !
I have worked on listed buildings for 30 years and we even build extensions on the :censored: to suit the original !
One architect we worked with had us putting in floors on the :censored: ! It is actually harder to do that than get the string line out .
As with everything in the building trade it is all about knowing your trade and the clients expectations we have gone to war with an architect before as he was blatantly ignoring the clients instructions ,at the end of the day they pay our wages so I listen to them ?

I always thought a reciprocating saw was over rated until I discovered LENOX blades it turned the saw into a great tool was really suprised at the difference which was what the guy at the fixings company said when he gave me one to try he said you will be back for more !
I was and it just shows you never stop learning !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Article
Compex EX 04 fail Hi. I’m new to the Forum...
Replies
Views
Jackson123
J
  • Question
I have some 3 and 4 port valves from them and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I never have, but if it were a decent place...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
Back