How do you apply your flux? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cast your votes gents...us pipe and fittings lot have got em against the ropes!

Why pipe only for gas? I do pipe only unless its 28mm or above then I do both

I flux pipe only if its gas so no flux pushes into the pipe.
i don't want any restriction in a gas pipe as it can't be flushed through.

All over my now purple trousers.

I've noticed that, little spots of purple on my blue Fruit Of The Loom tops.

Pipe and fittings. Never use a brush because it puts too much on. A wipe with the finger or the end of the solder for half inch.
Never had a leak in 9153 days :smile:

One of lifes mysteries! Why does flux react with blue cotton and turn it purple?

Pipe and fittings. Never use a brush because it puts too much on. A wipe with the finger or the end of the solder for half inch.
Tempting fate surely tamz!?

I never use a brush either, I use a pencil or a bradawl to go round the end of the pipe then kind of use it to scrape off any excess. Never had a problem.

Like keefy I don't use a brush I use the solder, got told off for using my finger and got sick of buying brushes so thought feck it ill use the solder

I apply it just to the pipe and turn the fittings around on the pipe so it goes smoothly around everything,
The 2 blokes i work with both put it in the fitting and on the pipe, they teach at college NOT to put it in the fitting EVER,
not sure why!

I couldn't use my finger, my hands are bad enough as it is.
i also use everflux which stings like hell in cuts.

I apply it just to the pipe and turn the fittings around on the pipe so it goes smoothly around everything,
The 2 blokes i work with both put it in the fitting and on the pipe, they teach at college NOT to put it in the fitting EVER,
not sure why!
Because you're just pushing most of the flux off the inside of the fitting then it's likely to stay in the system - unless you flush it through obviously. If it's a gas pipe then you've got a snot of flux permanently stuck to the wall of the pipe.

Pipe only, use finger, wipe finger on old rag. Most modern fluxes are so aggresive that you can't leave any trace inside the pipe as it will gradually eat it's way out.

That's an impressive record.

I do both pipe and fitting.

am I right in thinking all those who use the finger method are over 50 or dont have girlfriends!!!!!!!!!!! :)

or my hands and make them fall apart?

Glad it's not just me. Luckilly I've not been sweating many joints for the last couple of weeks and my hands are pretty respectable again.

I'm fine with less aggressive flux's anyway. I've bought a load of Powerflow as I was getting on with that, but they changed the recipe about 6 months back. The new stuff is whiter and less "greasy" looking. Not as good in my opinion. Doesn't turn yellow if you leave the lid off the tub so it's definetly changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Tried Powerflux but it just sits on the van now.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Gonna need the tools. The joint is made with a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Conclusion: I stuck a strip of painting tape...
Replies
Views
Tank if forty years old so think it's out of...
Replies
Views
Back