How do you spot time wasters? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How do you spot time wasters? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo21

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
A tell for me is "I'm thinking about"

"does it include power flush/ trv,s/wire less controls etc"

And a bs filter I use is, "can't get to it for two weeks" and " if the quotes accceptablewhen do you want the work doing" this stops people thinking six months ahead wasting my time, and the ones who want it yesterday.

Times a valuable commodity, you don't get it back. Really hate using it talking about boilers in a strangers house.

"Just looking for a ballpark figure" or "I've been looking on the internet and can get X boiler for Y amount, can you get it cheaper"
Ball park figure is £2500-£4000 and yes I can get it cheaper, but it will cost you more
All replies in phone calls which last around 10 secs

EDIT to see why it will cost you more if you supply, see my new terms and conditions, courtesy of Ray:dita:

Last edited:
When you book a quote in for three days time. Arrive on the day and they great you with "oh I'd forgotten all about that, come on in...."

It's becoming more and more difficult so many idiots want something for nothing

When you phone to move the appointment time and they ask you which plumber are you again.

Here's how I do it on our bathroom quotes: -

IMO the trick is to suss out which customers are never going to convert and which are from the start. Generally our conversion rate on the following customers is low to zero: -

1.) Customers supplying sanitaryware, we don't do fit only really unless it's a massive project and worth the hassle.
2.) Any customer that mentions budget, price or getting multiple quotes in during the initial phone call. In fact if they mention any of these at all I come straight out on the phone with the cost of our typical bathroom. If they baulk then I politely explain we don't try to be the cheapest and suggest they look elsewhere.
3.) Our typical customer generally is in their 40+ years. Professional couples with kids that have left home. Usually live in a 4+ bedroom house. When I chat to them initially I get there address early on. Certain parts of Lincoln I don't bother going to (sorry if this sounds snobby). I always get on Google Maps to view their street. If they have a nice house there's a good chance they can afford us.

If they meet the criteria of 1-3 above I then arrange a quote appointment.

Pre-qualifying customers is so important. You want a high quote conversion rate so you aren't wasting time with people who can't afford you.

Once you are in the quote appointment, really take the time to listen to the customer and what they want. Use your experience to suggest sensible alternatives or to offer them the options and let them decide. It's a real turn off for customers if you tell them what they want.

Explain the benefits of using your company, i.e. do you put down stick down carpet protector from the front door to their bathroom? Do you clean up properly each day? Do you work long hours to get the job done ASAP? Does your company focus on training future plumbers i.e. invest in apprentices (people love that)? Do you offer a decent warranty on the finished room? Our 2 year warranty is a good selling point.

Explain why you are more expensive and give a very rough indication of the cost of the job early on. If they can't afford it you've wasted 10 minutes in their house instead of an hour or 2.

I love the ones that try and bait you with a boiler change that may need doing in 10 yrs and if you quote low on the bathroom they might throw you the boiler......yawn pull the other one!

For us the big difference is the start of the phone call. Questions that start: "Have you got in stock...?" end in sales. Questions that start "whats your cheapest ....?" usually don't. Because the cheapest product in any sector is usually too cheap to be worth having.

its when they ring and are miles outside your normal area, you know everyone else has walked away. Or I am renovating a house and want a full heating system, this that and the other, can you do a quote? I normally say have you any idea of prices at present from other quotes? depending on the answer they get a telephone ball park or may I will pop out. Personally on refurbs I prefer to be found via word of mouth, I never have any luck with yellow page callers, they dont like my prices...... :)

Advice I was given with the sort of customers who will talk you & themselves into circles about different material options and designs, was DONT play along with their indecision about material choices & sourcing & costs, plus your charges. Just, once they overdo their indecision, say " I feel a ball park figure for whole job will be close to £xxxx pounds, - am I near what you can afford, or not? " That way you waste little of your time & you might get an honest answer.
I actually like the stranger who rings up and immediately tells you their limited funds will mean they can only afford one job at a time. They usually are really honest.

I am finding more and more you need to be polite but firm with customers otherwise you just end up running around in circles chasing this and that .

I am tempted to put prices on my website to try and stop the time wasters.

I would much rather people phone up and say I am after a rough price for x do you have a rough idea, I then give them a rough idea of price then a list of what would affect the price.

For example if someone wants a combi swap I say £1700-2000 normally depending on existing controls, gas pipe, condense run etc

I am tempted to put prices on my website to try and stop the time wasters.

I do for small common jobs. Not that anyone visits my site. Was on page 1 for years but I never did anything with it or updated it and now it's around page 3 or 4. One day I'd lie to get it professionaly done up (it's very basic.) But less for drumming up business than just for thrill of having a nice website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The UK Government has today been told to do...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Evohome is not the latest technology, but it...
Replies
Views
Back