Ideal Classic FF230 British Gas Declared boiler "At risk" | Boilers | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Ideal Classic FF230 British Gas Declared boiler "At risk" in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gas regs on most things are not retrospective which is why they class things as NCS which should really be classed as WGAF. It is a pointless paper exercise brought about by claims are us type stuff. CYA is what it is all about now.

As for the op, the guy on the job only done what was required to keep himself in a job. 99% of people on here would have done the same. It is the way things are these days especially working for the big mobs. Blame it on the claim culture.

wgaf?

Right guys an update, this morning I woke up to no hot water and on further inspection the pump was running but the boiler was not lighting! So after applying the text book fix of turning it off and on again to no avail, I gave the side of the boiler a whack and it sprung into life! Good job the engineer was already booked!

Anyway, it was a different guy this time and he quite quickly found that the gas valve was the wrong one for the boiler, and there was a spiders web partially obstructing the flue!

So he retested it, all levels now correct and boiler firing up, and he removed the "at risk" sign from the boiler.

I was at work and so it was the Mrs who was here again, but she said that the guy wasn't happy about the fact this hadn't been found by the last guy, but none of this was on the report, so I'm guessing he doesn't want to get the other guy in trouble!

Thanks wards the light has come on :bulb2: you'll have to excuse me it's an age thing :wheelchair:

How long has the gas valve been in. Before or after BGs last service?

Looks like the original BG bloke got out of his depth.

Has this gas valve been changed B4 ? and if so who by ? and how long ago ? could it be BG !!

How long has the gas valve been in. Before or after BGs last service?

Looks like the original BG bloke got out of his depth.

I'm not aware of it being changed in the time we've lived here (almost 3 years) but I think the guy said that it was the bloke that came out in february!

Passing the buck, if last engineer fitted wrong valve think he needs retraining as this would have been ID.

Surely if it was the wrong valve fitted previously, it would have stopped working sooner, just seems weird it packed up a few days after the last bloke came!

Here's a picture of the Flue and the window, all as was when house was built! The report doesn't actually list what the readings were, just that it failed, but readings were all perfect in February!

View attachment 6943

That looks alot closer than a meter to me :dizzy2:

More like about 2 foot.

Anyway, with that aside it's not likely to be anything majorly wrong with the boiler and probably just needs adjusting slightly.

Like everybody else has said, if they wont come out to fix it ASAP get somebody who actually know's what there doing in, and then pass the bill to BG

So no proof that it was wrong valve, would have been under orders not to leave any evidence, have you thought about changing insurance cover

BG engineers should not leave any old parts behind. They are supposed to return them to their distribution center to be properly disposed of.

Some ideal classic only require 25mm to boundary, as I was taught rtfm!

Hi Guys, a further update or should I say correction!

When my wife came home from work I asked her to tell me in more detail what the BG engineer said and did, and basically with the help of an exploded diagram of our boiler from the manual, she identified the part that he replaced which was in fact the air pressure switch and not the gas valve as she previously told me so apologies for that!

The guy looked it up on his computer and found it was the guy in February that had fitted it (I still don't understand why its taken this long to fail!)

He also said (like the rest of us) that he doesn't understand why the guy did what he did on Thursday!

my mates old boiler is covered by bg and it broke down and they told him the pcb and gas valve were not available. he called me for advice and and i gave him the parts centre codes and prices and confirmed they were still available - with this he called back and asked for a senior engineer to attent and bring the parts . they wrote him an appology letter . makes me wonder how many people they have ripped off they are taught as salesmen first then as gas engineers 2nd.

If its uneconomical for BG to carry spares for a certain boiler they will inform customer that appliance is obsolete, can't get parts.

All the while parts available from usual suspects. As buckley plumb asked, how many times do customers agree to a BG boiler renewal?

They are supposed to try the main local suppliers they have account with to source parts they no longer have in stock, ie. PTS, Plumbcentre.
This is the minimum required before they can declare parts no longer available.

they serviced a 105HE and condemned external condensate pipe,also said it needed a magnatec fitted urgently. failed to fix leak on plunger to microswitch for hot water. but did give a notice about ncs about condensate . They are irresponsible rogues scaring elderly people for no reason. I actually read the form out to them and they said oh thats not so bad but bg man made it sound serious!!

this man talks sense i was on a job doin maintenace and a gb engineer was fault finding on a boiler he didnt have a clue it was a system boiler installed and he thought it was a combi what a div i know its about having peace of mind with those covers but i dont think its worth the paper its written on just like any insurance they have always got a get out clause use the independant when u need to they also quoted a friend of mine 600 for a powerflush and stated it had a lifetime guarantee wot a load of cobblers how can u guarantee no sludge or scale for life especially in london

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Is your boiler the 'Ideal Logic Heat 12' (i.e...
Replies
Views
D
Cadet will cap the gas due to the smell of gas...
Replies
Views
Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Back