Ideal HE12 Boiler Help! | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Ideal HE12 Boiler Help! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
To work on an unvented cylinder he should be G3 qualified and to work on a boiler he should be Gas safe Registered.
If you've been paying for boiler cover get them back - he shouldn't need to touch the unvented cylinder to repair your boiler
Well he looked at the cylinder and said "it's one of the best" but as it's unvented he cannot work on the boiler as he's unqualified.

We don't pay boiler cover, this is Homeserve as an add-on (free) via home insurance. But I think they're sending a qualified engineer lol. Confused, I am!

lol, 4 engineers later - still nothing done! nightmare, absolute shambles it really is :(

lol, 4 engineers later - still nothing done! nightmare, absolute shambles it really is :(

Yes indeed. Quite a shame. And once you got a sufficient qualified engineer who can work on it he can not do anything as it is an electrical fault.

Thanks for letting us know and good you have your boiler back.

The only reason I named the firm is cos they were pretty good. I've gotta give him his dues. He knew his stuff and didn't mess around.

Highly recommended if you have one of these unvented cylinder systems that need a G3 qualified engineer. Word of advice though spell out you have an unvented cylinder lol :)

Should still not have made any difference as the only thing he should not have touched is the mains/HW side of it. The heating circuit is by no means different to an open vented cylinder with a system boiler. But I believe he did not want or has been instructed not to want to do more than just looking. Seems to be the new trend to drive on site with shirt and tie, advice the customer whom to try to get and charge for an hours call out. No courses needed. No tools. No work force. No costly mistakes.
Heard this last week of three different customers.

I see what you're saying. Thanks. Handy for future.

Thing is to the blind (ie us consumers) we're an easy target to some. It's places like this that help us no end as we can then ask probing questions. I saved myself a few bob by joining here so thanks.

Happy to promote this in our forum for others if your mods approve. :)

Hi again folks. The boiler had a new pcb but pretty much within days when it fired up it banged a bit - like a car kick-back.

Well yesterday it just stopped working!! Basically the status light is reading 0 and the reset button does nothing. It's also making a very feint noise which is weird.

any of you guys have any ideas please?

Hi again folks. The boiler had a new pcb but pretty much within days when it fired up it banged a bit - like a car kick-back.

Well yesterday it just stopped working!! Basically the status light is reading 0 and the reset button does nothing. It's also making a very feint noise which is weird.

any of you guys have any ideas please?
Certainly I have, get the boy back and finish his job. Sorry if that comes across a bit rude. But exactly that and worse is the outcome if one changes parts in boiler without checking.
And regarding this problem you should not get any other advise than to use a Gas Safe Registered installer. Everything else would breach the rules of this forum and be a potential hazard to the public as it may invite people with insufficient qualifications to undertake work on boilers.

Hi again & thanks.

Im not into DIY so don't worry I'd always get the "pros" round to do such things. My limit is the reset button.

I can't get the bloke as he came through homeserve and that was a few months ago now wasn't it. Is it a bad fault / costly :(

Thanks again.

Hi again & thanks.

Im not into DIY so don't worry I'd always get the "pros" round to do such things. My limit is the reset button.

I can't get the bloke as he came through homeserve and that was a few months ago now wasn't it. Is it a bad fault / costly :(

Thanks again.
Was not assuming that you would but the forum is public. Someone else could use it as guidance. If it is what I think then it should be done within 1-2h depending on experience. Should have been part of fitting the board. Then it would have been minutes.

Happen know anyone near me in Leeds that is recommended?

Needs looking at or the bloody house might blow :)

thanks again.

Woah it's just fired up (probs cos its cold) and burner light is on and status reads "C"....

Should I leave it or turn off?

Certainly I have, get the boy back and finish his job. Sorry if that comes across a bit rude. But exactly that and worse is the outcome if one changes parts in boiler without checking.
And regarding this problem you should not get any other advise than to use a Gas Safe Registered installer. Everything else would breach the rules of this forum and be a potential hazard to the public as it may invite people with insufficient qualifications to undertake work on boilers.
I think thats a bit harsh! A fault has occurred 6 months after a PCB was changed, Its most likely unrelated and is probably one of the well documented faults with this heap of a boiler!

OP, the chap that repaired it last time will just be a sub contractor to Homeserve, if you have his contact details, give him a ring. Unfortunately, these boilers are moneypits and develop expensive and potentially fatal faults. I know a Plumber would say this, but I'd think about replacing it!

Thanks R1cky - gutted. Baratt said it was a very good system. I dunno why they put crap systems in new builds. No need really.

Replacing it right now is a no-no sadly. Just a tad cold tbh lol

Thanks R1cky - gutted. Baratt said it was a very good system. I dunno why they put crap systems in new builds. No need really.

Replacing it right now is a no-no sadly. Just a tad cold tbh lol
don't suppose anyone could hazard a guess at what is likely wrong? i.e. is it gonna cost me a fortune to have fixed...?

Thanks

Apologies to Dirks, I misread the post. I hadn't realised the explosive ignition has started days after the PCB was fitted!

Can't give too much away, but hopefully it may be a cheap simple part to replace. Worst case scenario the boiler may be beyond economical repair. For what its worth, I used to work for a company as a sub-contractor for Homeserve. I feel your pain!!!

Why the vagueness as to likely problems? I'm only curious so I know at least what to ask when I ring around. Obviously I'm clueless but don't get why you're not actually saying what could be wrong.

Isnt that why we use forums; to share user experiences? Not play one-upmanship by being clever and ridiculing people.
Ok
so I'm clueless fine but if you have any ideas please do say. Thanks

It's not because you're clueless or because we're playing one upmanship.

Nor has anyone ridiculed you from what I can see.

The UKPF has a strict policy in giving advice that could result in you attempting to DIY repair your boiler. We don't do it!

We only help those who can prove that they are GSR in these circumstances and then only after rigorous checking to prove they do have the qualifications they claim.

This is for your own safety. And I know you're going to say "Oh but I wouldn't......"

We really can't take the chance on that.

I'm afraid you're either going to have to get the original company back who repaired the boiler, go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Thank you.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/42241-notice-gas-safety-related-advice.html

Mate you got me all wrong. I pay guys to come and clean. I don't do DIY and certainly not with gas where my kids are around!!
mi don't see the issue. I'm left wondering do I turn it on or off. Is it dangerous. What's likely to go wrong. If I pay is it likely to get a new issue. Am I better renewing it. Whats the likely costs for the secret you guys are retaining, is it like a fifty quid job or a £500 job.

So other than insult my intelligence; I am an adult, I feel slightly peeved that clearly you all know what's up but won't tell me. Thanks. How to make someone seeking help feel.

As I say this just leaves me with more questions cos I just don't have a clue what's best.

But thanks for your time. Clearly I'm in the wrong place.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got it all wrong. This is a public forum open to anybody, you may have no intention of fiddling yourself. But if someone googles a similar issue and came across this thread with us saying "Check this part, replace this part blah, blah" and makes a fatal mistake following advice from us, the forum could be held liable.

We don't know for definite what is wrong, I have an idea in my mind what could be wrong based on previous experience and the description you've given. It could be one of a few problems, none of which are suitable for a non experienced person to tinker with, hence why I won't post details on an open forum.

Personally, I wouldn't use the boiler if it is suffering from explosive ignition. These boilers have well documented dangerous issues with a fairly crucial part of the boiler failing.

Thanks.

So if I ask a plumber to come check any idea of an actual cost that's appropriate?

I'll turn it off then if its unsafe. But really need to sort it but don't want to pay a load to then have further issues. Catch-22 :(

First of all wind it in. We've been nothing but polite and courteous. You've been given the reasons why we won't even take a guess at what's wrong.

It could be one of a couple of things. You'd possibly be looking at a couple of hundred for the part plus an average of £60/hr labour.

You need someone in to do a proper diagnosis. then, and only then, will you know what the damage could be.

But yes, based on what you've told us, there is a probability it's dangerous.

Turn it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I moved into a 14 year old house a few months...
Replies
Views
Is your boiler the 'Ideal Logic Heat 12' (i.e...
Replies
Views
Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
Hi John, yes I think you are spot on, if the...
Replies
Views
Just to check the boiler dial is on hot water...
Replies
Views
Back