Illegal hot water tank install | Bathroom Advice | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Illegal hot water tank install in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Just had a dodgy builder install a hot water tank using a plumber who isn't G3 certified. They then got g3 gas Safe registered engineer commission it, but it doesn't meet building regs (wrong discharge pipe, plastic not metal) and he didn't register it with building control. Any ideas who I can report this guy to? Gas Safe aren't interested as it didn't break gas legislation (though they are going after the builder for illegal gas installation).

Thanks.

In response I’m not having a go at you but a little respect please, as you’ve realised, you need relevant training to understand these facets from the pipework and sizing all the way down to the necessary commissioning and notification documentation. You saying you understand the principles is like me saying I understand what keeps a plane in the air however an aviation engineer I am not

It’s when you start adding things like “professionals”. We get a lot of engineers on here who think they are holier than thou and think they can’t be touched and supposedly know how to turn their hand to anything. Pure and simply we all have to do and renew our qualifications to ensure that we are up to speed with current legislation so why should these engineers be allowed to think that they are above the law, which is essentially what they do. I’m not saying that all plumbers are the same in terms of quality but the governing bodies could do so much more to educate the public as much as have a go heroes as to who they need for the job and the qualifications that they require.
My use of the term professional was merely to define someone that was in the business of plumbing as an occupation, rather than a mere amateur home owner such as myself.
As I said I wasn’t having a dig. Although I am sure we can all agree that the quality of work carried out by professionals in all occupations varies immensely

And that’s how you poke the bears. If you’d had the necessary training and installation experience you’d have known the rules re notification. Being an engineer does not give you the right to do what you like and bypass licenses to work. Competence is key and you’ve proved you didn’t have it

Remind me, what were the rules for notification of replacement of an existing hot water systems in 1989?

That’s not really the point I’m making chuck this is an open forum and people skim read threads as you know just looking for the information they want to read. As per the poster they haven’t said whether it was vented or unvented and I may be wrong but if it’s unvented these have been notifiable for donkeys years

That’s not the point and it wasn’t a dig at you my friend. We have numerous people with 0 experience ask a question, then ask it another way because they don’t like the answer then ask it again because we will still not give them the info they want. Sometimes it’s best (legal) to have a pro in. In your instance you are absolutely fine venteds only became notifiable relatively recently

Last edited:
That’s not the point and it wasn’t a dig at you my friend. We have numerous people with 0 experience ask a question, then ask it another way because they don’t like the answer then ask it again because we will still not give them the info they want. Sometimes it’s best (legal) to have a pro in. In your instance you are absolutely fine venteds only became notifiable relatively recently
I understand entirely. Being heavily involved in another forum, it happens all too regularly... also the same Q repeated ad nauseam.:(
I have also run a business for 35 years and have had my fair share of “customers” asking lots of q’s and then, armed with the info, going elsewhere with the spec, ‘cos it’s cheaper. Or those that let you spend three days on job then complain ‘cos “my mate could have done that quicker and cheaper”. Or indeed having to spend three days on a one day job to fix the customers cock up!
These fora are to help peeps, and I will continue to ask advice, and I don’t mind if the answer is “ it’s not as simple as that - yu need to sort out flow rates/pressure drop/ run lengths - please call in a qualified plumber.” That’s why I ask the “Professionals” :)

I understand entirely. Being heavily involved in another forum, it happens all too regularly... also the same Q repeated ad nauseam.:(
I have also run a business for 35 years and have had my fair share of “customers” asking lots of q’s and then, armed with the info, going elsewhere with the spec, ‘cos it’s cheaper. Or those that let you spend three days on job then complain ‘cos “my mate could have done that quicker and cheaper”. Or indeed having to spend three days on a one day job to fix the customers cock up!
These fora are to help peeps, and I will continue to ask advice, and I don’t mind if the answer is “ it’s not as simple as that - yu need to sort out flow rates/pressure drop/ run lengths - please call in a qualified plumber.” That’s why I ask the “Professionals” :)
Wish more people were like yourself

If its all up to spec surely it's no bother to get a g3 in to give it a service Of course there is a cost but that should be minimal if it's all good. Peace of mind for everyone. And adds value when the house is sold.

If its all up to spec surely it's no bother to get a g3 in to give it a service Of course there is a cost but that should be minimal if it's all good. Peace of mind for everyone. And adds value when the house is sold.
Agreed but I think this shouldn’t detract from those persons installing illegally. It does nothing to disincentivise them that someone will just come along afterwards and sort it to a standard. There is no comeback when there should be

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
R
  • Question
No it won't be why the boiler is on all day...
2 3
Replies
Views
👍🏻 I knew the fire ones had to be, we've done...
Replies
Views
PH is 7.5. Chloride is 194. The last water...
Replies
Views
Back