Indirect system | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Indirect system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
i also think that if you go to college to keep your parents happy you dont learn but if you go because you want to then its up to you listen and take in what they tell you. i havnt done an apprentiship so to compensate for that i come on hear and observe and ask questions

Ok jts,let me explain,went to college in bolton,after working in the caravan industry for 10 yrs i though it was time for a change, (how wrong was i) so i decided at the young age of 30 to do my c and g level 2 and progress onto my level 3,i did 3 nights a week for 1 year and it was"nt easy,lol.......when i finished the course in 2009 i was hoping to progress onto level 3 but i just could not afford to pack in work unless someone would take me on to get some real experience,but there is no-one round this area willing to do that,so i rang numerous plumbers to see if i could tag along and help out where ever i could in return learn as much as i could,but again with no luck,so since 2009 when i finished college i am still in the caravan industry working for a well establised firm.Since then i have done numerous little jobs,guttering,loadsa taps and outside taps,few rads changes and about six bathroom suites inc tiling,all have been done for friends and family and everyone has had combi"s believe it or not,lol,its not like i been avoiding indirect system i just not come accross one outside of college and was just re-capping and making sure before i took the job on,and i can say i had one leak on all the jobs i done and that was on a bath which the owner got into as soon as i left the property even though i said toleave until the sealer around the bath had set,no pipe leaks to date touch wood,trust me if i could get a plumber to let me out with him at weekends i would,thats why i am here lol...................cheers...

Back again lol,when at college we plumbed in a vessel, from mains to cwsc then to the vessel then drained after making sure we had no leaks,we never actually fitted the pipework from this cwsc to the other cold water out-lets,thats were i was getting confused lol,having done a little research and talked on here about draining the cwsc i am a lot clearer on the system and all has come back to me now lol,the thing what was confusing me was why you have to drain the cwsc i just pre-sumed it was normal practice to fit a service valve or stopcock near to the cwsc on the pipework to all upstairs cw outlets so you dont need to drain all the cwsc,obviously i was wrong lol............i got diagram here showing a service valve near to cwsc,i do have adiagram here showing a service valve lol so maybe i will getlucky and the last plumber fitted one too lol...........

Back again lol,when at college we plumbed in a vessel, from mains to cwsc then to the vessel then drained after making sure we had no leaks,we never actually fitted the pipework from this cwsc to the other cold water out-lets,thats were i was getting confused lol,having done a little research and talked on here about draining the cwsc i am a lot clearer on the system and all has come back to me now lol,the thing what was confusing me was why you have to drain the cwsc i just pre-sumed it was normal practice to fit a service valve or stopcock near to the cwsc on the pipework to all upstairs cw outlets so you dont need to drain all the cwsc,obviously i was wrong lol............i got diagram here showing a service valve near to cwsc,i do have adiagram here showing a service valve lol so maybe i will getlucky and the last plumber fitted one too lol...........

i wasnt sayin that there will not be a service valve fitted, but it is usually a gate valve and they stick and shear off, when this happens its a pig of a job to replace
you will most prob see a service valve

ok thanks,hope we not got off on the wrong footmate,i know some replys can be taken in the wrong way in these forums.............i was"nt having a go by any means.......thanks for replying,hope you got a bit of an idea where i coming from now......as i have...appreciated.....

im the same as you ste b but i gave up work its hard out there but the more you do the more you learn gravity systems are a pain as ive had a few and had air locks because of draining down but if your not sure turn the job down unless you explain to the customers the probs of draining down and see if they still want you to do it cover your tracks in other words good luck anyway i still love the job though

Yeah i allready told the guy,hes a good friend so i have explained to him the probs that may arise,he is fine with it,there are drain valves on the hot and cold feeds under-neath the basin but i not sure if they are just drain valves,should they be able to turn off feed as well,i asked him and he said the water does not stop when turned in,will know more friday when i pay a visit.......cheers....

I can-not see how some of you younger guys have problems understanding basic systems ! are you only taught about combis ? it seams if you have more than 4 pipes its beyond what you know, if you can-not work out a basic system, you need more training, or think about changing your job.!! :13:

I can-not see how some of you younger guys have problems understanding basic systems ! are you only taught about combis ? it seams if you have more than 4 pipes its beyond what you know, if you can-not work out a basic system, you need more training, or think about changing your job.!! :13:

Don't tar us all with the same brush :p

Sorry Simon J , but honestley some of the questions thes guys need to ask about the most basic plumbing, makes you wounder why they chose to do plumbing in the first place, and how they managed to get C&G quals, are these people what the plumbing industry has to look forward to ?? Maybe its not their fault ! but their is somthing wrong with the system when these guys are let out of collage with-out the basic knowlage they need to build on.

The basic system is easy,the problem is what the last plumber has left you with,i cant see why some plumbers put iso valves on and some dont,i know now that the job i going to the last plumber has rounded both valves on the central heating pipework,probably trying to turn then with pliers or grips,the idiot,i know the basic sytem mate,just needed re-capping thats all,and now i re-capped its all clear again..........but thanks for calling me young lol.........pics of job to follow,piece of cake.....if i gotta drain down,i will drain down the system......

Sorry Simon J , but honestley some of the questions thes guys need to ask about the most basic plumbing, makes you wounder why they chose to do plumbing in the first place, and how they managed to get C&G quals, are these people what the plumbing industry has to look forward to ?? Maybe its not their fault ! but their is somthing wrong with the system when these guys are let out of collage with-out the basic knowlage they need to build on.

I do agree alot. I've gained alot of experience in my short time

I work with a plumber that is same age as me and has been doing it long than me YET he phones me most days asking what to do

For eg. I had to teach him how to balance a system
I had to talk him through an air lock
Ive even had to show him the correct way of using a flexi with rubber washer

I'm not slagging anyone off, but if you passed your City & Guilds, why didn't you learn this?
This is fundamental information that all Plumbers must know.

I remember every job interview I went for years ago, the interviewer, probably the boss with limited Plumbing knowledge would ask, "What's the difference between a direct cylinder and an indirect cylinder." You would then be shown a picture, and tell him what was wrong. The answer would normally be a pump on the cold feed or something.

Do you know the answer to this question? If not. Get your books out and read some, like we all had to do.

The problem with most courses nowdays is that the emphasis is on passing rather than learning.

plumbing.jpg .....the differnce............

Added a few more pics to my pictures,just so you know i been revising lol,cheers for all your replys........lots more pics to follow......... for future reference.............

Job completed this afternoon,i ended up bunging the tank and all draining went well,water was off approx 20 mins whilst i fitted new isoloation valve"s to new wash basin hw and cw,then i run every out-let in turn and carried out rest of work with only one small problem which was the chrome waste for basin,32mm my arse lol,fitted white compression fittings which i still not happy with,as i had to get bigger seals because the chrome pipe did not fit well into 32mm push fit at all,i had to but bigger seals to seal into the 32 mm compression fittings,something to bear in mind with these chrome basin traps, can you buy chrome fittings ? .... i never seen them.....................anyway cheers for all your comments,job done even had 3 cakes baked for me by the owners daughter lol..........

12 bathroom complete..jpg9 basin waste..jpg10 basin and tap..jpg11 basin waste..jpg1 old basin and trap..jpg2 new toilet in situ..jpg3 tap pipes cleaned ready to be cut..jpg4 pipework for wc..jpg5 wc outlet..jpg6 wc pipe fitting..jpg7 wc pipe fitting..jpg

Attachments

• 8 basin wall-plate.jpg
    8 basin wall-plate.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you learn to do plumbing? :smile:
That picture of the pipe from the ballofix valve to the toilet cistern is an eyeful!
All it needed was a nice copper pipe offset, or a couple Yorkshire elbows, or, if you want a DIY job - a flexi.

Lol,there is a reason i did that lol,didnt want to cut the rising pipe back any more than it was,but i agree a bit of an eyeful!!,not enough gap for an offset,cheers for comment though,its noted .........

Lol,there is a reason i did that lol,didnt want to cut the rising pipe back any more than it was,but i agree a bit of an eyeful!!,not enough gap for an offset,cheers for comment though,its noted .........

Lol! You could have fitted the ballofix valve lower if needed & used a 90 degree fitting to the cistern valve tail & a bent piece of copper - or used solder elbow, if you didn't fancy doing an offset!
Nice steel wool job of pipe though! :smile:

Last edited:
Hi Sti B, you say that the person that you did this job for is a friend of yours ! is he still speaking to you ? for some-one who has been doing plunbing for 4 + years, this is a very poor standerd of work ! Did you get paid for this ?? Looks like total weekend DIY job, Monday morning wife calls plumber to put it right, the job is an eyesore ! you could have removed boxing and alterd pipe work, changed for chrome pipe (Yes you can get chrome fittings) Do you do this work part time ? You realy need to spend some time whth some-one who can point you in the right direction, or change your job, if you started work with me you would have been sent home by 10am.

JTS said....... You realy need to spend some time whth some-one who can point you in the right direction,

Thats why i joined the forum,cheers for your comments...............

looks like a french horn only joking steve b. i take it the person he needs to go out with is you is it jtsplumbing. all due and respect its must be brill coming out of college knowing absolutley everything about plumbing jts. i wish i was like you not having to learn anymore. anyway have you thought about doing a course on brain sugery as a side line im sure youll be the best at it.then theres quantum physics you could do on the weekend before you know it nobel prize. could you please send me your autograph

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

At the moment when you move the hot water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you and from what my neighbours have...
Replies
Views
  • Question
As Shaun said cold backfeeding through mixer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The hot is fed via either a communal cold...
Replies
Views
Back