installing a back boiler oil link up in a bungalow, anyway around it? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss installing a back boiler oil link up in a bungalow, anyway around it? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water expands by 1600 times its original volume when turned to steam, I dont think a one gallon bucket would quench a 40Kw boiler! :cowboy::75:

There are proper ways to quench solid fuel boilers but using a bucket is not one of them. The others although they work are not yet legal to fit in the UK.
If you really are advising people to do this you are being irresponsible to say the least.

Sure as a youngster i can remember the water spouting out the expansions onto the roofs from the small circulator s everyone had but that was piped differently and not into over a tank.

Well couldn't believe what I was reading until I got onto page three and sanity rained. I mean seriously, telling the customer to chuck a bucket of water on it. Do it right and do it safely. As ecowarm and others have mentioned H2 panel or dunsley neutraliser, if not sure get somebody who has done it before to come in and assist. It shouldn't be a case of just chucking it in because the cust doesn't have the money. If they ain't got the money then tough!

A bucket of water works fine. A fire extinguisher would work too but water's cheaper.

And thats what my customer uses if it overheats to just douse out the flames as it prevents his garage becoming a steam room. Its working fine now anyway as all the air has been expelled but will still probably overheat in a power cut or control failure which he is aware off.
As for the other methods btw such as the plate cooler, they are legal as dps supply them. Its just an external cooler instead of an internal one which many solid fuel boilers now being installed in the uk are fitted with and implemented anyway. Its nothing new.

From the SFA..

The heat leak radiator is not a safety device but serves to reduce the risk of water boiling and discharging into the header tanks and out the overflow. I am not aware of any legislation which covers this issue.

In any case it would be some what bizarre if an installer fitted a safety device such as a bvts valve capable of cooling the entire output of the boiler and be told its illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well see how legal it is if he ever no sorry when has to claim on house insurance for your workmanship
Or try's to sell house lol I'd love to see a picture or your expert installation lol

He may not have house insurance. I certainly don't. A waste of money and another unecessary bill imo.

Here's the valve station I built for it...
http://alturl.com/mgztz

You won't find anything like that on your travels through the sticks of Tyrone. What do you think of that big Danfoss AVTA cooling valve in there and the 28mm sheeps crook anti gravity loop? Nice features I think and works extremely well.

Looks over complicated to be honest without knowing what is feeding it or what its purpose is For
H2 panel Whould that not of done same job??
Your quite neat though
And no not saw that sort of think in Tyrone or anywhere else in the north
But some god awful stuff in south

The solid fuel boiler comes from the right hand side and the oil boiler from the bottom.

Here's the valve station I built for it...
http://alturl.com/mgztz

You won't find anything like that on your travels through the sticks of Tyrone. What do you think of that big Danfoss AVTA cooling valve in there and the 28mm sheeps crook anti gravity loop? Nice features I think and works extremely well.

I would like to know how the solid fuel boiler is vented? How does the danfoss cooling valve cool the boiler/ system as it seems to be connnected flow to flow? It monitors the temp of the return to solid fuel boiler and does what? The auto bypass valve bypasses a 2 port? Two 15mm vertical pipes left side are feed and vent? The isolation valve on the flow is for a AAV
possibly?

The solid fuel boiler is vented in line with bs6700 recommendations.
System separation via a plate heat exchanger is used. The by-pass valve is not strictly needed in that position and only operates in the event of the HW zone valve not opening whilst in solid fuel mode.
Its wired HW priority and automatically shuts down the oil boiler when the solid fuel reaches set point as defined on the solid fuel boilers onboard electronic controller.
Its a five zone property with the fifth zv in the hot press.

The cooling valve maintains a steady return temperature to the plate through proportional control as the cylinder heats up and the coil return temp rises, dumping excess energy into the CH thus preventing the sf boiler over heating on hw only.

The two 15mm pipes are supplying the bathroom radiator and the 15mm isolator was there temporarily for pressure testing and now fitted with a manual air vent.

anyway guys started this back boiler 2day and i am going with the gravity circuit to the hot water cyclinder via tracking the return accross the floor back the stove! i have another quick question is it necessary to install another cold feed even tho im linking it into the existing heating system which obviously already has a cold feed??

Yes the solid fuel boiler needs a cold feed as well.

@ simong sfa require a heat leak rad or gravity to cylinder or both

Be careful to make sure the return from cylinder to boiler has a slight, consistent fall - even though it is below floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

D
https://salamanderstoves.com/product/small-stov...
Replies
Views
N
Replies
Views
C
You could prob have two circuits joined by a...
Replies
Views
One thing I might add. We too are in a similar...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
Back