Is £18 per Rad the right price for pricework? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is £18 per Rad the right price for pricework? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

E

EastLondonPlumb

Hi i am new to this forum, I have been a plumber for around 8 years and i am getting pretty sick and tired of it to be honest. The last job i was at wanted to pay price £15 per tail rail and £18 per rad. For this you needed to get your own public liability insurance. First few i fitted i had to alter the first fix as it was supposed to be 450 center to center but was off. I looked at a few of the other rads and all the clips were not even (center to center) the pipes were no good. My supervisor said he would like it neat, i fitted two neatly when he come back and i worked out after tax it was £12 each i felt like a polish and told him i didn't want his job.

He said this was the going rate i just could not imagine fitting rads for £18 each, after tax around £14.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first guy was rushed and on peanuts so of course the pipe work was all wrong.

Its all part of the chain of bodges that make up a new build in this country.

Used to work on sites and £18 sounds about right.
Agree seems tight price but that was where money was made. You can fit 12 rads in a morning no probs ( as long as you have got the joiners to fit dwangs /pads properly)
If pipes are out....adjust floors to suit .chargeable ;)
If your roughing them first yourself...speak to joiners about pipe distances etc. Point out to them how much easier for them it will be if they bring pipes up in right places .

Agree seems tight price but that was where money was made. You can fit 12 rads in a morning no probs ( as long as you have got the joiners to fit dwangs /pads properly)
If your roughing them first yourself...speak to joiners about pipe distances etc. Point out to them how much easier for them it will be if they bring pipes up in right places .

I work all day, no breaks and I could never fit 12 rads in the day never mind the morning.
By the time you've got all your tools in, fetched the rads in, placed them to the drawing to the correct rad etc (always get wrong rads sent) thats a couple hours gone. It takes me half hour per rad with soldered tails, but every rad is level, fully secure and neat.

Anyway only normally get 8 or 9 rads per house and then your looking at a whopping £65 for the bathroom which includes finding the wood to sit it on, getting the suite from container to bathroom, finding all materials and fittings, dressing suit and usually cut plasterboard wall so bath fits, siliconing to wall, pipeing including connecting mixer shower and tmv under bath and all wastes to connect. Thats a days work in itself for £65.

£8 a radiator is what I fit them for, sounds like a crazy price but when you're piping 10mm into push fit chrome elbows you can get 15 done before 12.

£8 a radiator is what I fit them for, sounds like a crazy price but when you're piping 10mm into push fit chrome elbows you can get 15 done before 12.

Thats 16mins per rad. Dont you have to fit boxes where 10 mm come through wall? Not gonna fit 15 rads in one house so includes taking tools to another plot. You must have someone making tails for you and tidying up or you must spend a tad longer at wet test stage :rolleyes:

Thats 16mins per rad. Dont you have to fit boxes where 10 mm come through wall? Not gonna fit 15 rads in one house so includes taking tools to another plot. You must have someone making tails for you and tidying up or you must spend a tad longer at wet test stage :rolleyes:

Are all your rads 400x400 as well!!

Sounds like my worst nightmare, bad enough just being on site and wearing a hard hat inside while the contractor shows potential clients around wearing flip flops.

I'd rather do a paper round

I've known a lot of fast plumbers and now refuse to wet test their work cause I know I'll be there in one house all day putting things right. Done it sooooo many times.

The house type I've been on recently does infact have 15 radiators. Tools in the plot Radiator Schedule to hand start at just gone 8 making up, hanging & piping all 15 by 12.. It's not easy but to make money on £8 per rad you have to just go for it. Obviously on the 1st fix I have put in first fix radiator triangles.

Sounds like my worst nightmare, bad enough just being on site and wearing a hard hat inside while the contractor shows potential clients around wearing flip flops.

I'd rather do a paper round
Why would you wear a hard hat indoors?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've known a lot of fast plumbers and now refuse to wet test their work cause I know I'll be there in one house all day putting things right. Done it sooooo many times.

I make sure my work is to a high standard, I'm OCD when it comes to my work.. I 1st, 2nd & final every house I work on so I make sure it's done right first time..

All rates now are low, a contract in wolves was paying 30 quid to fit a bath including all pipework and waste. Same for bog and basin. So 90 quid to fit a bathroom.

The house type I've been on recently does infact have 15 radiators. Tools in the plot Radiator Schedule to hand start at just gone 8 making up, hanging & piping all 15 by 12.. It's not easy but to make money on £8 per rad you have to just go for it. Obviously on the 1st fix I have put in first fix radiator triangles.

We put our triangles after plaster, cant remember what theyre called. Sounds like big houses your in!!

Similar plumbing topics

H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
It's not 'amateurish', what you've had...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
Thanks that definitely seems to be the...
Replies
Views
That looks like oil fit twin. Insides plastic...
Replies
Views
Back