Is £18 per Rad the right price for pricework? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is £18 per Rad the right price for pricework? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

yeah hard hat, boots, hi vis, glasses and gloves...

piping a couple of tmvs under a vanity?? glasses steaming up, keep dropping olives cos of gloves, hard hat doing your nut in ...??? take of any one of them and a jobs worth walks in and its a yellow card, caught again and its a red card which means you can't work on any of thier sites for 3 mths...

its why I got into servicing and maintanence

yeah hard hat, boots, hi vis, glasses and gloves...

piping a couple of tmvs under a vanity?? glasses steaming up, keep dropping olives cos of gloves, hard hat doing your nut in ...??? take of any one of them and a jobs worth walks in and its a yellow card, caught again and its a red card which means you can't work on any of thier sites for 3 mths...

its why I got into servicing and maintanence

Taylor Wimpy, Barrett Homes, Redrow, Bovis, Kier, Bloor, Bellway, Perssimons, Galliford Try, work on all these sites throughout the years & not once been picked up on it & I've met some jobs worths

We put our triangles after plaster, cant remember what theyre called. Sounds like big houses your in!!

4 Bedroom, 2 En-Suites, Bathroom, Cloackroom, Study, Lounge, Dining room & Kitchen, Rad in hallway & landing..

Used them a while ago but much prefer doing it on the 1st fix

Yea that hard hat just gets in your way when your trying to stick your head under a bath. This site had the yellow, red card policy aswel, you had to keep your gloves on and it was to much messing about with the olives and cutting the pipe. Made the whole thing seem epic which when you take the gloves of its a walk in the park.

All the other rads and tail rails were all :nono: aswel. The clips were all :nono: and the pipes. He wanted me to do em neat. I like to take my time and do a job properly so i told him il take £140 a day after he had seen my work but said his company dont offer that. I picked my bag up and told him to find someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
new build is poor price work for all trades, thats why the houses built today develope problems the day after the thing is sold. nhbc inspector gets bribed to miss bad faults because its all about target and margins.

why anybody would buy a new build off a major house builder if other options are available i dont know.

what tends to happen is this, company tenders for the work with a 5 to 8 percent profit margin. Material and running costs go up, only choice is labour costs to go down. Labour then does work faster and to a worse standard to keep the same wage coming in. Company gaffa does not care unless its snagged, builder does not care after the house is sold, all margins are hit, gaffas get there bonus, labour works harder for less money buyer gets a poorly built house.

as for 18 pounds a rad, thats a great price. if the 1st fix is bad then i either get paid extra or that rad is left for the 1st fixer to put right.

Last edited:
new build is poor price work for all trades, thats why the houses built today develope problems the day after the thing is sold. nhbc inspector gets bribed to miss bad faults because its all about target and margins.

why anybody would buy a new build off a major house builder if other options are available i dont know.

what tends to happen is this, company tenders for the work with a 5 to 8 percent profit margin. Material and running costs go up, only choice is labour costs to go down. Labour then does work faster and to a worse standard to keep the same wage coming in. Company gaffa does not care unless its snagged, builder does not care after the house is sold, all margins are hit, gaffas get there bonus, labour works harder for less money buyer gets a poorly built house.

as for 18 pounds a rad, thats a great price. if the 1st fix is bad then i either get paid extra or that rad is left for the 1st fixer to put right.

Hit it the nail on the head!

Taylor Wimpy, Barrett Homes, Redrow, Bovis, Kier, Bloor, Bellway, Perssimons, Galliford Try, work on all these sites throughout the years & not once been picked up on it & I've met some jobs worths

yeah i don't tend to work on house bashing, they are usually a bit more lax. i was thinking more along the lines of morgan sindal, balfours, carillion, carefoots

Have to be looking at doing 3 rads an hour, but should be quicker, but let's say 3 an hour. That's 12 in 4 hours. 12 x £18 = £216 which gives you 4 hours at least wasted on moving tools rads etc
even if you only do 10 a day £180 is a decent rate for site work

This is exactly why I can not wait for more sites up and running. Guys who worked on site are now working in the domestic market and are charging site prices. Problem is they are just treading water till they get a start somewhere or out of business pretty quickly if self employed and just drive the price down because everyone gets conditioned to that price and expects it from now on.

£18 when I am already there and need to go nowhere else and pipework is there already (assuming its right) no problem. Could easily make over £200 a day.
£18 to fit a rad in a domestic house..... NO CHANCE.

Thats great if all rads turn up right, correct valves etc pipes in right place, pattresses in place etc etc with my company you'll be lucky to fit half then whats for the rest of the day.
Its NOT an ideal world and in my experience price work is carp. Great for the company not the fitter.

This was the problem. First one i measured up had no wood behind the plasterboard to screw to, so i had to go to another one. Then its going back and forward to the stores, up and down in the lift (6 floors) i aint getting paid for any of that. I was previously on a job for £140 a day. I said to him 'il be breaking my back just to earn what i get for day rate'. I thought the point of price work was so you could smash it out and earn £200 - £400 a day not smash your back out for £120 a day?

the problem was you got to get hot works permits all the time, go to stores ect ect. Soon as something like that comes up its just wasting your time. For example i ran out of rads and had to wait nearly an hour to get more on my floor

Where do I sign? In one place, no fuel, no advertising cos you are busy, no wasted hours, no pay out on materials, lunch break and tea break, no running about looking at jobs organising a quote, then not getting them, no customers calling at midnight, guaranteed finish time....

Boring as hell but, not bad money.

They were doing some gas there aswel inbox me and il give you his number. I would rather run my own company and charge myself then do it for someone else for £15 quid whilst they r earning a ton on you.

the problem was you got to get hot works permits all the time, go to stores ect ect. Soon as something like that comes up its just wasting your time. For example i ran out of rads and had to wait nearly an hour to get more on my floor[/QUOTE
whenever that happens you have to book day work for every hour wasted

You can book it dosen't mean they'll pay it.

From reading this thread am i right in thinking that the pipework is already in place for the rads and all you have to do is make the rad up, then hang it and connect it up?

I can imagine it being very frustrating when rads are wrong/damaged and even though it might get boring as someone said once you have your routine sorted it would be a fairly easy way to make money.

If I could get a job doing that now for 6 months i'd take it.

Hi i am new to this forum, I have been a plumber for around 8 years and i am getting pretty sick and tired of it to be honest. The last job i was at wanted to pay price £15 per tail rail and £18 per rad. For this you needed to get your own public liability insurance. First few i fitted i had to alter the first fix as it was supposed to be 450 center to center but was off. I looked at a few of the other rads and all the clips were not even (center to center) the pipes were no good. My supervisor said he would like it neat, i fitted two neatly when he come back and i worked out after tax it was £12 each i felt like a polish and told him i didn't want his job.

He said this was the going rate i just could not imagine fitting rads for £18 each, after tax around £14.

even polish would not work for this rates , let alone the f@&in Bulgarians

Similar plumbing topics

H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
It's not 'amateurish', what you've had...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
Thanks that definitely seems to be the...
Replies
Views
That looks like oil fit twin. Insides plastic...
Replies
Views
Back