Is £18 per Rad the right price for pricework? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is £18 per Rad the right price for pricework? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

From reading this thread am i right in thinking that the pipework is already in place for the rads and all you have to do is make the rad up, then hang it and connect it up?

I can imagine it being very frustrating when rads are wrong/damaged and even though it might get boring as someone said once you have your routine sorted it would be a fairly easy way to make money.

If I could get a job doing that now for 6 months i'd take it.

Lol, it would be great if you had 50 houses ready and just fit the rads.

I work all day, no breaks and I could never fit 12 rads in the day never mind the morning.
By the time you've got all your tools in, fetched the rads in, placed them to the drawing to the correct rad etc (always get wrong rads sent) thats a couple hours gone. It takes me half hour per rad with soldered tails, but every rad is level, fully secure and neat.

How many tools do you need to hang and pipe a rad on a building site? Drill, Cutters, Level, Couple of spanners and a pencil. I used to make the mistake of taking loads of tools in but cut it right back and my wages shot up as I didnt spend half hour getting tools in and out.

How many tools do you need to hang and pipe a rad on a building site? Drill, Cutters, Level, Couple of spanners and a pencil. I used to make the mistake of taking loads of tools in but cut it right back and my wages shot up as I didnt spend half hour getting tools in and out.
Agreed, this is all you need for everything

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 136

Yea i did think this myself, i took too many tools. To be honest private work i did 2 hours for someone, hot and cold pipe maybe 2meters each and hung a tea hearn and connected it and charged £150. The thing is the company boasted that they turn over 25million a year on their job ad. Well no wonder when paying 18 quid a rad. And i think it was 60 for a whole bathroom second fix. I aint working to make some ceo rich unless he is going to pay a fair price.

the only way to earn on site work is to do the same job over and over and just carry the minimum tools you need
When I went on pricework..I thought feck no way can earn enough...but was still better than basic plumbing rate.
The more you do it the more you learn...as in
What you need for each job toolswise...dont carry more.
What you need to make sure is done before....by other trades
Making sure you have right materials there...BEFORE you get there.
Used to bribe forklift driver/labourerwith sweets ...I knew brickies/joiners would get first lifts..so would get stuff loaded night before I needed to go in.
Used to have pipes for bathrooms cut to size when roughing. Trap straight on...screw basin..pushfit tails on.
Same with toilets, baths etc
Baths /shower trays would fit first...go back after tiling to fit rest
You could make 600easy 1000 if you had no probs.
Did my roughings on friday or saturday...less chances of agents annoying you on those days.
Rads n roughings where money was....tried to keep for later in week as would help give me the push to make the goodmoney.

The issue is not the rad prices, you can earn ok on rad prices of around 10 plus. It's the rest of the house that makes it a poor wage. Core drill and fit a boiler for 35 or a combi for 50. And you have to supply a geny, a core drill and bit, use 12" screws to get a fixing, it's just a pap job. Plenty do it tho, you pay peanuts to get monkeys.

The issue is not the rad prices, you can earn ok on rad prices of around 10 plus. It's the rest of the house that makes it a poor wage. Core drill and fit a boiler for 35 or a combi for 50. And you have to supply a geny, a core drill and bit, use 12" screws to get a fixing, it's just a pap job. Plenty do it tho, you pay peanuts to get monkeys.

Cheers Adam, now pass me that banana please :p

No wonder some newbuilds are utter ********.

Better buying from a smaller developer who take a bit more pride in their builds.

It wasn't much better when I was first knocking around sites in the early eighties.

Remember the "5 wars" rule of housebuying.

Never buy a house built after WW2.

If possible, buy a house built before WW1.

Even better, buy a house built before the Crimean War.

The best houses were built before the Napoleonic wars

If you can find a house built before the English Civil war, it will probably last till doomsday.

We'll known firm round my way, put the lads on price work. The lads loved it worked really hard, got the job done, great standard, finished well before the finish date. Everyone's happy.

pay day, 20% knocked off. Complain you will never work for us again.

We'll known firm round my way, put the lads on price work. The lads loved it worked really hard, got the job done, great standard, finished well before the finish date. Everyone's happy.

pay day, 20% knocked off. Complain you will never work for us again.

That's outrageous.

It's happened too a few blokes I know, so I just steer clear mate. I would rather go to small claims court and never work for them again. Some blokes are more sensible and think of their families and the bills they have to pay. It is one of the worse tricks in the book that I can think of, I would be devastated and would take it very personally

Similar plumbing topics

H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
It's not 'amateurish', what you've had...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
Thanks that definitely seems to be the...
Replies
Views
That looks like oil fit twin. Insides plastic...
Replies
Views
Back