is time served the same as an apprenticeship | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss is time served the same as an apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can learn a lot more in 4 years as time served than in 6 weeks. Had a guy wiv me doin an intensive gas course few months back. He couldn't even do a let by test.

In regards to ryster.I served a 4 year apprenticeship and I was treated rubbish, I have just taken on an lad and wouldn't treat him the way I was. They are there to learn and eventually make you money. But I know lads who used there redundancy to become a plumbe (intensive) and ring me constantly because they don't have a clue outside of there collage cubical. I'm proud to be a time served tradesman. Keep up the good work
Exactly.Also with regard to apprentices, I have never treated one the way I was. A building site was a different place to now 20 years ago. I wouldn't do half the stuff I saw young lads get done. Also I never had boss White on myCock, I did see it done though!Same as above banter and general joking about at my expense was the norm, like above I gave as good as I got!I honestly don't believe that unless you have gone through that whilst learning your trade on site and at college for Four years you cannot call yourself timeserved. I also usually find that the only people who disagree with this are the adult trainees and ones who never did a proper apprenticeship.

Last edited by a moderator:
So go on tell us what can a so called time served plumber do that your definition of a non time sever plumber can do
You seem to be missing the point. To me To call yourself timeserved you need have served your time, which is a proper 4 year apprenticeship as a young lad, not a one year college course.

Exactly.Also with regard to apprentices, I have never treated one the way I was. A building site was a different place to now 20 years ago. I wouldn't do half the stuff I saw young lads get done. Also I never had boss White on myCock, I did see it done though!Same as above ****taking, banter and general joking about at my expense was the norm, like above I gave as good as I got!I honestly don't believe that unless you have gone through that whilst learning your trade on site and at college for Four years you cannot call yourself timeserved. I also usually find that the only people who disagree with this are the adult trainees and ones who never did a proper apprenticeship.

So iv been plumbing over 10 years now is not time served?
I did do the collage time also
Not 6week course lol

Keeping it as simple as possible, to me timeserved is going to college for four years once a week or doing block release as a 16/17/18 year old.To me timeserved IS NOT going to college for a year then doing a few years on the tools as a 28 year old who spent his previous years working or doing something else and decided he wanted to give plumbing a go.I dont have a problem with people who decide they want to give plumbing a go, every credit for trying to better yourself, butTo me if you do that you willNever be timeserved.

you want to be called time served plumber ,well we all will do !
I am not one but this do not make me fill angry about it and if have a problem with this kind of object than please better do not give your attitude here as we are not here for arguing we are hear to make our lives easier if possible and just have some fun !

served or not ,at the end of the day is down to every ones destiny in live and you can not be judge them for this !!!!

To be fair pal, nobody is giving any attitude. It's a forum where people have different views. Nobody has become an idiot about it and started name calling so I don't see the problem with a decent conversation on here really.Also I'm not having a go at ANYONE. If somebody decides to take up plumbing at 30 then as I said, every credit and best of luck.Interesting that you dont consider yourself timeserved though!

To be fair pal, nobody is giving any attitude. It's a forum where people have different views. Nobody has become an idiot about it and started name calling so I don't see the problem with a decent conversation on here really.Also I'm not having a go at ANYONE. If somebody decides to take up plumbing at 30 then as I said, every credit and best of luck.Interesting that you dont consider yourself timeserved though!

I am just honest

i must be very hard for someone trying to get into plumbing at a older age without being time served, ive been doing this for 14 yr now and still dont know everything, im lucky that my dads been doing it all his life and my grandad worked for bg too..

but you're only as good as your teacher and ive found the older i get the less i ask off my dad. i need to search and ask gas safe a lot more.. for someone not to be time served must be a right pain, i can imagine them bodge jobing everything and the other half sticking with searching a lot through books, internat and ringing gas safe..

aslong as you do things right and by the book, i cant see a problem with being time served or not

i have an uncle who fought in the suez crisis as a sapper and went to korea or something for a few years then was demobbed.
he went to work for my grandads building business and covered all the plumbing works somewhere around 1969?. he cant read or write too well and didnt do college, i make him around 76 now, and he still does 40 hours a week and is found most weeks pointing out a chimneys or dropping down a flue liner or digging up a service main even in the middle of winter.

not sure now as i allways thought he was time served (40 years in the trade), guess he's just a .c.c.c when you think about it then as he wasnt 16 when he started neither?

i have an uncle who fought in the suez crisis as a sapper and went to korea or something for a few years then was demobbed.
he went to work for my grandads building business and covered all the plumbing works somewhere around 1969?. he cant read or write too well and didnt do college, i make him around 76 now, and he still does 40 hours a week and is found most weeks pointing out a chimneys or dropping down a flue liner or digging up a service main even in the middle of winter.

not sure now as i allways thought he was time served (40 years in the trade), guess he's just a .c.c.c when you think about it then as he wasnt 16 when he started neither?

Redsaw make sure you point out to your uncle that as he has only been plumbing for 40 years he is not a time served plumber lol

Think I started something here lol... To be honest does it really matter how long you have been doing it as long as u are qualified, safe and know what you are doing. Everyone has there own opinion but like I said before I have seen people who have been doing this for years and still not too sure on alot of things, others who have been 1-2 years and they seem to be spot on with everything. I think the cowboys who go out not registered are the ones who are the real problem.

it all depends on the individual we all know that there are right mongs out there who have been doing this job for years but in the eyes of most because they are "experienced" they must be good

Think I started something here lol... To be honest does it really matter how long you have been doing it as long as u are qualified, safe and know what you are doing. Everyone has there own opinion but like I said before I have seen people who have been doing this for years and still not too sure on alot of things, others who have been 1-2 years and they seem to be spot on with everything. I think the cowboys who go out not registered are the ones who are the real problem.

Well it was you who started it so yes to you it does matter

Re: Passed!!!

well said redsaw mate, dont see how me not doing an apprentiship doesnt make me time served. Not everyone can get on an apprentiship and there seems to be a pattern now that unless u have done a 5 year apprentiship your not up to scratch, i dont agree at all. I have spent time with engineers that have done full apprentiships and they would not know their rse from there elbow, some on the other hand are excellent.

you may be right but the term time served is known commonly or refers normally to somebody who has done a full 4 year apprentiiceship

you may be right but the term time served is known commonly or refers normally to somebody who has done a full 4 year apprentiiceship

So your saying it don't mater what age as long as you do your 4years go to college and get your nvqs is this time served?????

So your saying it don't mater what age as long as you do your 4years go to college and get your nvqs is this time served?????

going to college and doing nvq's isnt necessarily an apprenticeship. Check out the plumbing & heating tab on this link [DLMURL="http://www.summitskills.org.uk/Apprenticeships/498"]SummitSkills | Apprenticeship frameworks[/DLMURL]

going to college and doing nvq's isnt necessarily an apprenticeship. Check out the plumbing & heating tab on this link [DLMURL="http://www.summitskills.org.uk/Apprenticeships/498"]SummitSkills | Apprenticeship frameworks[/DLMURL]

Lol a diplomat answer

Any apprentice we have ever had did not learn very much at collage was learnt out on site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I
Hi fuzzy. After an interview with the ceo in...
Replies
Views
innertemple
I
Back