Just had an argument about tightness testing | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 4 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Ryster
  • Start date
  • Replies 83
  • Views 55K

Discuss Just had an argument about tightness testing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can have fluctuations with the pipework temperature, but in rare circumstances you could have let by from the ecv and a leak at the same rate, so it shows no drop but there is a leak, in two places. You would be unlucky to get that. But if in doubt, unscrew the governor and spray leak detector into the closed ecv.

if you have a leak rate at the same rate as the ecv lets by this is why you do let by at 10mb and TT at 20mb, so that the leak will show on the TT, as it is being done at a different pressure

Take it you not has it before then, trust me it happens. Found the leak to be on a boiler, isolated it then retested, at 10 mbar at first as you rightly say you should, and I had let by. Which didn't show at first. Had transco fit a new ecv, I fixed the boiler. All good after that. That's why I'm saying it's not always so obvious, even with the guide lines and and so on. You have to be confident and know what your doing.

generally a tightness test is carried out , if it is a new supply,or the supply has been turned off, if you are going to work on the actual installation or add appliances, or the customer suspects a gas leak (smell of gas). You dont have to do a tightness test if you are servicing an appliance ,unless your company wants you to do one, as you can isolate at the isolating valve test disturbed joints with LDF. Contrary to a previous reply, a tightness test includes a let by test for 1 minute at 7-10mb, a temperature stabilisation for 1 minute at 20-21mb, and a tightness for 2 minutes at 20-21mb / this is for a low pressure installation. Its never been acceptable for a stabilisation test to be done with the let by test (thats for bartdude pubmember attention)

generally a tightness test is carried out , if it is a new supply,or the supply has been turned off, if you are going to work on the actual installation or add appliances, or the customer suspects a gas leak (smell of gas). You dont have to do a tightness test if you are servicing an appliance ,unless your company wants you to do one, as you can isolate at the isolating valve test disturbed joints with LDF. Contrary to a previous reply, a tightness test includes a let by test for 1 minute at 7-10mb, a temperature stabilisation for 1 minute at 20-21mb, and a tightness for 2 minutes at 20-21mb / this is for a low pressure installation. Its never been acceptable for a stabilisation test to be done with the let by test (thats for bartdude pubmember attention)
Threads 4 years old hope they'd have worked it out by now

Or is it ?? [emoji12]
Maybe I have been given super mod powers to open threads just by looking at them !!!

Well Kirk teaches the rules every day,so now I guess he's on a busmans holiday:)

Kirk is spot on, as always.
But teaching every day is no guarantee of accuracy.
I was in a training centre recently, and the trainer absolutely insisted there should be no flexible connection on a suspended heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My pleasure. It's particularly worth noting...
Replies
Views
done, but let's assume you didn't see that...
Replies
Views
I do two services stnd and a 5 yearly strip...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I figured I should let you guys know in case...
Replies
Views
Looking at what you have said up to now, I...
Replies
Views
Back