Label central heating parts in airing cupboard | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Label central heating parts in airing cupboard in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, would someone mind labelling these parts in our airing cupboard? i know the gate valves are gate valves, but rather what are their role in the system (if you can tell of course)

I can provide any other information needed, the reason behind the question is that they all leak! i don't want leaking valves!

EDIT: forum still won't let me post urls or images, getting pretty stupid now...

http://i.*********/NYwErax.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From the top.
Ballofix 15mm valve on cold feed to central heating system. Wrong type of valve, not rated for central heating temperatures.
Air seperator.
Pump gate valve
Cant tell.

Thanks for the replies. Could you tell me what the flow of water does here, as in what are the pipes doing with the narrowed valves on them. I want to to replace them but not sure where each would be isolated from :)

Top one Service valve, never liked the idea of valves on cold feed, Air separator, found that they didn't do much ,These Pump valves are rubbish always leak Change them , Bottom one , get a proper bypass valve fitted.

Top one Service valve, never liked the idea of valves on cold feed, Air separator, found that they didn't do much ,These Pump valves are rubbish always leak Change them , Bottom one , get a proper bypass valve fitted.

So change top one for a temperature rated ball valve or something?
Pump valves, change these for what?
Bypass valve, I will Google for these

What uncontrolled understand is the cold feed at the top. So this comes from the main water tank in the loft and I would need to drain that down to replace. But wouldn't this then be going through the pump? Can't see how that works as pump is hot?

Sidenote: pump is on setting 1 and gurands quite a bit

Boiler and I guess this pump was installed I belive in 2011!

Hi, would someone mind labelling these parts in our airing cupboard? i know the gate valves are gate valves, but rather what are their role in the system (if you can tell of course)

I can provide any other information needed, the reason behind the question is that they all leak! i don't want leaking valves!

EDIT: forum still won't let me post urls or images, getting pretty stupid now...

Top service valve, replace with one of these or similar and take the red wheel off to stop accidental isolation;
Pegler Gate Valve 15mm | Gate Valves | NoLinkingToThis

Use this style of pump valve, the spindle has a gland that can be tightened;
Gate Pump Valve 22mm | Motorised Valves | NoLinkingToThis

Bypass valve, similar to this, but there are cheaper available;
Honeywell Straight Auto Bypass Valve 22mm | Motorised Valves | NoLinkingToThis

Maybe the picture wasn't clear but the valve you linked is whats there currently, and I've tried nipping it up to stop the leak but no joy.

This bypass valve, currently it just looks like a gate valve, so it the same purpose but just set manually? Is an automatic one the way to go?

Thanks!

So change top one for a temperature rated ball valve or something?
Pump valves, change these for what?
Bypass valve, I will Google for these

What uncontrolled understand is the cold feed at the top. So this comes from the main water tank in the loft and I would need to drain that down to replace. But wouldn't this then be going through the pump? Can't see how that works as pump is hot?

Sidenote: pump is on setting 1 and gurands quite a bit

Boiler and I guess this pump was installed I belive in 2011!

Your going o have to drain system and small tank in loft to replace these valves, if pump is making a noise then replace it at same time, these BG pumps were poor quality

these BG pumps were poor quality

Now I'm not a grundfos fan but a 15/50 15/60 were about as good of a circulator as you were going to get think how many systems utilised one then think how many under 10 years old you have replaced. That's a fairly reliable pump by any standard

Agree with what your saying, but for some reason the blue BG ones always seem substandard changed countless ones

if its working leave the pump and valves alone if they are leaking around the sindles they can be repacked with a bit of tape the silver valve at the top shouldnt be there replace it with a coupling no need to change the bypass valve unless its leaking

Think the ones on pump are the ball type, OP says pump is noisy so good time to replace pump and valves, glad its not just me that thinks the service valve shouldn't be on cold feed ! He says pump is hot, so unless system is running something wrong with pump, dot know why he doesn't get someone in to sort it, rather than mess around with something he has little or no knowledge about.

Think the ones on pump are the ball type, OP says pump is noisy so good time to replace pump and valves, glad its not just me that thinks the service valve shouldn't be on cold feed ! He says pump is hot, so unless system is running something wrong with pump, dot know why he doesn't get someone in to sort it, rather than mess around with something he has little or no knowledge about.

If you actually read my original post the reason I want to know what the valves/pipework does is so they can be replaced because they are leaking..... The pump gurgling I mentioned later and other people have told me this could be related to the speed setting not being high enough

Either way I wish to get the parts and likely replace myself unless soldering is required due to lack of play on the pipework. I assume this forum is for advice is it not? If I wanted to pay a plumber I would have done that already.

I don't understand why people like you bother using these forums just to say 'get a plumber in'. I changed 9 x 22-28mm lever ball valves in this airing cupboard myself a few weeks ago with no issues and assume i saved myself a few quid.

When someone is as clearly out of their depth as you are we give the appropriate advice.

Which in this case is get someone in.

Would you like to spend hard cash and time getting qualified so you can sit on a forum giving free advice? We need to earn a crust too, like it or not.

Please take all advice with good grace, even if it's not the advice you think you want to hear.

And having looked through this thread I have seen nothing offensive.

You got good free advice regarding the valves sg86 which you can go ahead and work on yourself if you wish and take the chance of creating air locks but when you then throw a pump problem in to the mix that opens up a whole new ball game which is not so easy to help you with without being there with you.
Chill man is my free advice.

When someone is as clearly out of their depth as you are we give the appropriate advice.

Which in this case is get someone in.

Would you like to spend hard cash and time getting qualified so you can sit on a forum giving free advice? We need to earn a crust too, like it or not.

Please take all advice with good grace, even if it's not the advice you think you want to hear.

And having looked through this thread I have seen nothing offensive.

I asked for advice on the parts and pipework, this has nothing to do with who ends up doing it. Either people are willing to give the advice or not, there is no point in suggesting to 'get someone in' to tell me what the parts are and how certain things work.

Some people including me like to learn, I can do anything with a little knowledge gathered from forums, Google and a few YouTube videos, and of course time :)

I didn't realise this was a place for qualified plumbers to be sour about losing potential work because a few people on the internet would rather try and learn for themselves. These types of people won't pay for certain things regardless, there is always somewhere to get information. I myself am a qualified electrician amongst many other things, and IIwouldnt dream of not giving out advice on an electricians forum because "heaven forbid the person might do it themselves"

You got good free advice regarding the valves sg86 which you can go ahead and work on yourself if you wish and take the chance of creating air locks but when you then throw a pump problem in to the mix that opens up a whole new ball game which is not so easy to help you with without being there with you.
Chill man is my free advice.

Hey yes I got exactly the advice I needed, and a few weeks ago as well when changing those ball valves I mentioned. This is all very much appreciated and I'm not referring to anyone else in this thread except the single user who just told me to get a plumber in.

Your a bundle of fun pal, get a plumber in! Or do it yourself, make a balls of it and pay more for the plumber when he arrives. We love you guys, kerching.

Ahh you're a qualified electrician. All is clear now...

According to OP amongst meny other things as well , Old saying springs to mind ! [Jack of all Trades & Master of None] will be asking next why pump is making a noise,

First the Ballofix on the cold feed is not recommended, as someone may inadvertently close it when system is in operation 99.9 percent of time! It serves two purposes, cold feed but the other is to allow heated expansion water back into the tank above. Which is a third full cold and two thirds full on maximum heat output. The other is the bypass, which you could physically change, but do you know what the minimum flow across your boiler heat exchanger is? A little knowledge can cause a lot of problems.....That is all.

Your a bundle of fun pal, get a plumber in! Or do it yourself, make a balls of it and pay more for the plumber when he arrives. We love you guys, kerching.

No, if I cannot gain the specific information needed via a forum I will read enough books to ensure I have the knowledge beforehand.

I do enjoy how people like you think knowledge is a god given gift, unfortunately it isn't and just like you it will come from someone else or the written word. Plumbing is not a special talent, it requires knowledge which can be acquired with material and time.

Good luck being so ambitious and aspirational though :), typical plumbers.... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
I tried it when the heating reached thermostat...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I shall take a look in that case and...
Replies
Views
Don't think that M.valves will pull in air...
Replies
Views
Back