landlord | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter vectra65
  • Start date
  • Replies 119
  • Views 10K

Discuss landlord in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
orignally thurnska as its said then upto goalie (goldthorpe) now out in the sticks

hope you get it sorted mate if someone pulled that on me i would go bust or jailed lol, cant afford that to happen will have to get contracts signed on big jobs before any work has begun

Last edited:
dont no what else to do mate do i go the legal way or the illegal way i no a few people but it wont stop just by them taking boiler prob burn house down

why don't you text him that one way or the other this will be resolved with you getting your money or your property back and that you will consider installment payments providing he sends you the first immediately. worth a shot.

90 % of the village can do it that , lol it was a lesson at the comp :)

Hi Vectra65,

I had the exact same thing happen to me. In the end i called to the rented property and removed the boiler. People like these know that the law is on their side. If you try and solve it legally it will cost you more than the profit in the job and he'd end up paying you a fiver a week for ever. If you have the reciept for the boiler then as far as im concerned its yours. And if its a card gas meter give it a nudge on the way out!

i no mate never had this before try to make aliving and these people do this to us am i responsible to cap the gas off at meter or can i just shut valve might have to do it quick

As long as you don't force an entry, ie, if you still have a key, or tenant allows you access, then I personally would risk removing boiler & leaving safe. Its your word against his, so what could the police do, especially if you have a key? He probably wouldnt do a thing. I bet landlord doesn't accept tenants not paying.

Small Claims Track Costs and time taken
N1 claim form to file action = £80
Allocation Questionaire = £40
Hearing fee for claims upto £3k = £165

The Inland Revenue views Landlords as Rental Businesses so it may be possible to claim compensation (£70) and interest (8% above base rate) under the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998, I'll find out next April and let you know. My action is for unpaid work from last March so that'll be 13 months between doing the work and getting paid IF I win the case, I'll let you make your own mind up to whether taking a scumlord to court is worth the agro!!

Just knock on the door,walk in saying you are finishing job,take off the wall and walk out,only take 1/2 hour(if police called,all they would do is ask you to leave),if you have time cut back pipework and keep for easy refit by yourself ,once cash in your back pocket,do not mess about,strike while the iron is hot,once you have the boiler in your van,you are in the driving seat,civil case,police will not want to know

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
He wont of done. Most arent bright enough to think of doing that.

My method is to wait - longest so far has been 5½ months, but I still got paid. I've not yet had a bad debt (but have had to stop asking for money where a job's gone a little wrong, which nearly amounts to the same thing.)

None of us likes to wait but I do find it a near fool proof method of receiving payment. In 3 months they can't have any excuses up their sleeve when you prompt them about payment.

If you won't wait then:

First stage is to make sure your "case" is waterproof. For example, does your invoice say pay within a certain period or by a certain date, does it demand full payment or is this not mentioned? Just because you do a job responsively, quickly and to the agreed price does not mean you'll get the payment quickly unless you have sorted this out in advance or show it on the invoice.

Second stage is to contact him.
If he won't talk or meet you then you have to send a letter (recorded delivery). This letter should give him reasonable time to pay, usually 7 days.

After this you need to send another letter (solicitor type letter) giving him another 7 days and warning him of possible charges and interest.
This gives him a full two weeks to pay without penalty.

I'd suggest after this the small claims court is the cheapest and most beneficial method and I think this can be done on line.

There might be a lawyers forum for further advice?

I wish you luck!

PS - if you damage his property or try taking "your" materials back, this amounts to criminal damage and you will be the loser. I know, I don't agree either, but that's the law in this country.

i am willing to do anything to get as i see it my property back if it means prison or any other punishment i will except this they should not be allowed to get away with this i know the legal way will take longer but when your out of pocket to some scrowt who wont pay the only action is an eye for an eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Did the op get an invoice before payment ?
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
To be fair some places in London have an...
Replies
Views
J
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
They sound extremely suspect, I realise it's...
Replies
Views
Back