Mains Cold Water Supply - Think I had a cowboy plumber at my house ! | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Mains Cold Water Supply - Think I had a cowboy plumber at my house ! in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

I

IATM

Hi Guys,

I have had various plumbing issues in my house after having a few plumbers in and I cant seem to find one who knows what they are doing or how to fix issues so I have decided to investigate them one by one and fix them myself or tell the plumber what to do.

Roughly a year agoI had a leak in the mains cold water supply tap/stopcock under the kitchen sink - this got worse and worse and eventually we have a plumber in to "fix" this - he spent 2 hours apparently fixing it but said we could not open it full as that was not a good idea/good practice ....

This "not a good idea" he fobbed my parents off with I realize now was proboably because if you turn the stopcock more than half approx it starts to leak which leads me to think he diddnt fix it properly as he should have done and took 300 quid off me for the pleasure of doing.

Can you correct me if I am wrong but I should have the ability to turn it full to benefit from the full mains pressure ( I think this is having an affect in the upstairs gravity fed system I have in the two bathrooms)

any links to quality stopcocks etc I can use to tell the plumber to fix and any other notes when fixing this issue.

I would be really grateful for any help as I just can't seem to find anyone who can say yes thats the issue this is what it will be to fix it :(

happy to provide pics if need be

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to turn your stopcock fully open and should not have any leaks. It is good practice though to open it fully and then close it half to one turn.

£300 for a couple of hours work is a bit steep.

Sounds like the gland nut just needed repacking, but without having seen it cannot say. As already said, open fully and turn back slightly. Shouldn't affect gravity supplies unless the tanks can't refill quick enough. You still have mains pressure, just restricted flow.

Hi Guys,

I have had various plumbing issues in my house after having a few plumbers in and I cant seem to find one who knows what they are doing or how to fix issues so I have decided to investigate them one by one and fix them myself or tell the plumber what to do.

Roughly a year agoI had a leak in the mains cold water supply tap/stopcock under the kitchen sink - this got worse and worse and eventually we have a plumber in to "fix" this - he spent 2 hours apparently fixing it but said we could not open it full as that was not a good idea/good practice ....

This "not a good idea" he fobbed my parents off with I realize now was proboably because if you turn the stopcock more than half approx it starts to leak which leads me to think he diddnt fix it properly as he should have done and took 300 quid off me for the pleasure of doing.

Can you correct me if I am wrong but I should have the ability to turn it full to benefit from the full mains pressure ( I think this is having an affect in the upstairs gravity fed system I have in the two bathrooms)

any links to quality stopcocks etc I can use to tell the plumber to fix and any other notes when fixing this issue.

I would be really grateful for any help as I just can't seem to find anyone who can say yes thats the issue this is what it will be to fix it :(

happy to provide pics if need be

Thanks

Gee, £300 this guys not a plumber hes a conman, get in touch with trading standards. What was his name Dick Turpin ??

I change one today charges £45, going by your post Ive obviously got it badly wrong ??

Bob

Hi Guys,

Really grateful for all the quick replies. Yes I think he came in and took advantage of my mum n dad and thought (rub the hands together). From the last time I touched the mains supply I turned it open enough so that it stopped making the noise of the water pushing through (my mum stopped me from turning it again and again as she said the plumber said not to do this as it would leak) - my first thought was should he not have bloody fixed that then!

putting that aside what is this glandnut and how to go about repacking it. ( I will get a picture up this evenining of what he fitted on - looks like a piece lego piece but I don't pretend to know what it is or if its any good)

Simon G I know you mentioned this shouldnt affect the system however I am inclined to think so because a bathroom fitter came round recently and I said to him about the low pressure in both bathrooms upstairs and I suggested it happened when the taps were changed etc but after having a quick look he said he was inclined to think there was an issue in the system somewhere. His reasons for this was when the toilet was flushed it only trickled back in to fill up in both bathrooms and the taps are shockingly bad. I tried to do a rough flow rate last night and got 7 litres per minute (that was from the bath taps - is that any good?)

my dad then called a different plumber about 6 months ago to fit the piping in to have a shower fitted - the piping to the floorboard was 22m so the plumber decides fit 15mm to the wall to fit a shower - I looked at this and knew this was wrong and asked my dad to call him back and find out why he done this as it must restrict the flow. (long story short the guy never bothered to get back to us)

at the moment the reason why I think I have a problem is because before all the plumbers came in, I had geat pressure everwhere and no issues at all, just wanted newer bathrooms :(

PS. I am in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland - Beleive me if he tried to charge me that when I was there id tell him to sling his hook - I tend to always ask for quotes etc and have prices set etc when possible.

Hi Guys,

Really grateful for all the quick replies. Yes I think he came in and took advantage of my mum n dad and thought (rub the hands together). From the last time I touched the mains supply I turned it open enough so that it stopped making the noise of the water pushing through (my mum stopped me from turning it again and again as she said the plumber said not to do this as it would leak) - my first thought was should he not have bloody fixed that then!

putting that aside what is this glandnut and how to go about repacking it. ( I will get a picture up this evenining of what he fitted on - looks like a piece lego piece but I don't pretend to know what it is or if its any good)

Simon G I know you mentioned this shouldnt affect the system however I am inclined to think so because a bathroom fitter came round recently and I said to him about the low pressure in both bathrooms upstairs and I suggested it happened when the taps were changed etc but after having a quick look he said he was inclined to think there was an issue in the system somewhere. His reasons for this was when the toilet was flushed it only trickled back in to fill up in both bathrooms and the taps are shockingly bad. I tried to do a rough flow rate last night and got 7 litres per minute (that was from the bath taps - is that any good?)

Sounds as though there is a lot going on. It all depends on the type of system that is operating your bathrooms. Are the toilets not mains fed? You say the pressure became worse after taps where changed, to me that sounds like gravity supplies and new taps that require high pressure.

You need to get somebody in that knows what they are doing, bit too far for me :) , hopefully there will be somebody on here who is close enough to assist.

Could try posting a requirement in the 'I need a plumber' section.

HI simon G - I suspect it is gravity fed but im not sure tbh - from what i can see i have a hot water tank in airing cupboard, cold water tank in loft etc- its a detached 4 bed house. just a typical set up from what i gather from the information on the net. i suspect the taps arent great and it would be better to get taps that accomodate 0.2 bar min pressure etc but still its really poor and it diddnt used to be. please find the pics of what was done under the kitchen sink

Untitled.jpgUntitled1.jpg

Looking at the pics, you have 22mm stopcock ! can't see what if anything has been done to it, you may find the problem with your water flow is the check valve just above it, either partly block'd with dirt or not opening fully, would be a simple job to replace both, Around £20/£30 for parts £45 labour ! £300.00 for what look' s like nothing has been done ! except you is taking the mick Ask for your money back.

Looking at the pics, you have 22mm stopcock ! can't see what if anything has been done to it, you may find the problem with your water flow is the check valve just above it, either partly block'd with dirt or not opening fully, would be a simple job to replace both, Around £20/£30 for parts £45 labour ! £300.00 for what look' s like nothing has been done ! except you is taking the P*** Ask for your money back.

Lol hi jst plumbing. just a quick question. what the hell is the blue thing? Just asked my mum again exactly what the guy done. he changed the stopcock and washer apparently and it stilled leaked so gave some bs about not utnring it on fully so it doesnt leak. i suspect he diddnt do it properly as i should be able to turn it full without a dam leak.

Lol hi jst plumbing. just a quick question. what the hell is the blue thing? Just asked my mum again exactly what the guy done. he changed the stopcock and washer apparently and it stilled leaked so gave some bs about not utnring it on fully so it doesnt leak. i suspect he diddnt do it properly as i should be able to turn it full without a dam leak.

The blue thing is your water main ! Looking at the pics the stopcock do's-not look like it has been taken apart even the marks around the packing gland dont seam to have been touched, I think you have been conn'd ! i mean £300.00 for a washer.!!

*deeeppp sigh** - This was almost 2-3 months back but even then I suspected the guy took the biscuit.

Right I can have that looked at ASAP properly under my watch - The pressure upstairs is the real mystery tbh, both hot and cold pressure is very low, from basin taps I get 3L per min and from tub taps i get 7L per min

I remember few months ago I turned everything off as a kitchen tap were faulty so was rpelacing that, when I turned everything back on the hot water was quite murky and certainly had a brown tint to it - wondering if the system is dirty and it just needs a good clean - if thats even possible.

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone esp Simon G and JSTplumbing for helping out.

Sorry just read your reply again , if thats a new stopcock I will give up Plumbing ! Unless you can buy them with that used look so that it blends in with the older plumbing !!

LOLLL You know what I diddnt even click on to that !!!! TBH at the time my dad was in hospital very unwell and I used to work and then go stay with him at the hospital and only come home every now and then to make sure brother, sister n mum were ok - mum mentioned this to me in passing and with everything else going on she mentioned there was a leak and it was "fixed" - i diddnt bother after that.

The blue thing is an mdpe (blue plastic pipe) to copper straight. And you have been royally raped. In front of a paying audience!

If he couldn't repair the stop valve he should've replaced it.

yeah its not great - Going to call this bathroom fitter I am talking to at the moment to see if he has enough experience in this stuff and if not can he recommend someone - at the same time I think I will post up a quick thread in the plumber required section steven G mentioned with my fingers crossed - hopefully they can help with the pressure upstairs. - I thought a quick resolution might have been to fit a pressure pump on.......... not read up much on them though to make a decision

Do you have a stop tap out in the road if so just get somebody to swap the internal stopcock and have a look at the check valve.

The pressure to the bathrooms could possibly be air in the system still from where they drained to fit taps.

The solution to your problem is certainly not rocket science.
One advantage of using a forum member is that you have a superb guarantee inasmuch as you can comment on the quality of the service you receive.

just to clarify what hot water system do you have? cylinder and tanks in the loft?

its sounds like the plumber did not change the stop tap, you may have some dirt blocking some taps and the bathroom fitter fitted high pressure mixer taps on a low pressure system. Im sorry you have had such poor service from so called tradesmen.

what type of shower is fitted? most shower dont require a 22mm supply to them.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a chattering float valve in the loft...
Replies
Views
  • Question
have you had a plumber have a go with the...
Replies
Views
Back