Mercedes Vito van review - anyone? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter panamajack
  • Start date
  • Replies 83
  • Views 26K

Discuss Mercedes Vito van review - anyone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
it constantly pulls to the left . the mechanics have told me this is common on every new vito and theres nothing they can do about it.the start stop stopped working. the mechanic told me it was due to the outside air temp which i found hard to believe because its been working fine at the lowest temp of 6 degrees it was 12 degrees on the day it stopped working lol. I've got a warning sign on my dash flashing ( exhaust filter: drive at high engine speed) when i brought this to mercedes attention for the second time as the first time they assured me they had fixed it. the response i got from guy in the office was and i quote (his mechanic who's area this is is off on holiday for a week can you please try not to use your van for a week) at that point i just felt like asking him what planet he's been living on . and I've now lost all faith in them and now I'm crossing my fingers hoping nothing goes wrong with my van because like the last time it went in the garage for two days i lost two days pay and potentially could of lost my customers i booked in that day, plus it makes me look incompetent phoning customers and cancelling jobs.theres more probs as well . but I'm sick of it now. i thought i was paying the high price for good quality which i don't mind at all.

it constantly pulls to the left . the mechanics have told me this is common on every new vito and theres nothing they can do about it.the start stop stopped working. the mechanic told me it was due to the outside air temp which i found hard to believe because its been working fine at the lowest temp of 6 degrees it was 12 degrees on the day it stopped working lol. I've got a warning sign on my dash flashing ( exhaust filter: drive at high engine speed) when i brought this to mercedes attention for the second time as the first time they assured me they had fixed it. the response i got from guy in the office was and i quote (his mechanic who's area this is is off on holiday for a week can you please try not to use your van for a week) at that point i just felt like asking him what planet he's been living on . and I've now lost all faith in them and now I'm crossing my fingers hoping nothing goes wrong with my van because like the last time it went in the garage for two days i lost two days pay and potentially could of lost my customers i booked in that day, plus it makes me look incompetent phoning customers and cancelling jobs.theres more probs as well . but I'm sick of it now. i thought i was paying the high price for good quality which i don't mind at all.
Welcome to the forum ProPlumber :)

I hear you Pro plumber ....I am on Vw t5 forum too ....lots of merc drivers have been converted to VW Transporters ...not that they are fault less just much less then Mercedes

to be honest i wish i would of just got a nice basic transporter i had a 08 caddy for a year before i bought my merc and it never missed a beat ha ha ha

Pulling to left needs front geo alignment inc tracking and toe in, common problem.
stop start, won't working if temps below 3 deg, battery voltage low, drivers door not shut right, fault logged in ECU etc and many other reasons.
DPF ( exhaust filter) will make stop start fail needs re generation, drive over 2500 revs for a good 15 mins, use a lower gear if needed to stop speeding, get it red hot, this is caused by too many short trips at low revs, and not enough heat, oh and stop start cutting in and out.
low Co2 emissions just like condensing boilers cause us all hassle!

Never had a single problem with mine and it drives like a car, just slower. Got the 109 as its my first van. My fave thing about the vito is the quality of the doors etc compared to the tinny thin panels on transits and French vas etc. also, there's no rust.

That new transit custom looks pretty sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
new clutch and dual must flywheel fitted at 44k , cost about 1k (common fault )
new cam belt fitted at 4 years interval 600
serviced mine last week 300 ,
i have been on the forum VW and everyone say that trend line give lots of problems
best to go for 1.9 + remap

my clutch and flywheel went at about 70,000 and cost me aprox £600
cam belt change every 60,000 from memory cost me £200
full service costs me about £150
interim service about £75

but i dont live in/near london.

there are problems with every van, transits where easy to knick, french ones tend to fall apart, vitos rust alot, transporter t5 have had steering problems and the duel mass is a pain. experts can be broken into by coughing by them.

Last edited:
there is few members on the vw forum who had got the best 2.0 bi turbo dsg 180bhp and they regret it big time !
for some reason when it comes to top speck vans they all go wrong .... i have 1.9 tdi manual and i have been lucky so far apart from all listed earlier now waiting for the turbo to go at about 80k ...that is another min 1k

my clutch and flywheel went at about 70,000 and cost me aprox £600
cam belt change every 60,000 from memory cost me £200
full service costs me about £150
interim service about £75

but i dont live in/near london.

there are problems with every van, transits where easy to knick, french ones tend to fall apart, vitos rust alot, transporter t5 have had steering problems and the duel mass is a pain.
just remembered now _ clutch and dmf was about 600 + new pads+service was 1k ,
steve what do you drive at the moment ?

ha ha your bang on with everything including drivers door problem . they havnt got a clue at my one mercedes garage where i live . I'm stuck in a rut

Never had a single problem with mine and it drives like a car, just slower. Got the 109 as its my first van. My fave thing about the vito is the quality of the doors etc compared to the tinny thin panels on transits and French vas etc. also, there's no rust.

That new transit custom looks pretty sweet.

Lol TB James has just gone from a 109 to tranny Trend, I pulled the side door shut, with the force I would normally for the Vito, and nearly put it through the cab lol, like tin foil, nice all the same though, got a great deal from polar ford at Freeport on a pre reg jobbie

Lol TB James has just gone from a 109 to tranny Trend, I pulled the side door shut, with the force I would normally for the Vito, and nearly put it through the cab lol, like tin foil, nice all the same though, got a great deal from polar ford at Freeport on a pre reg jobbie

I like the tranny, just doesn't have that quality feel. Had to go to Derby to get a decent deal on mine. Would be nice to have a garage as close to home as Freeport lol. Got a service deal on my van but have to go Northside down elland road to get it done.

ha ha your bang on with everything including drivers door problem . they havnt got a clue at my one mercedes garage where i live . I'm stuck in a rut

There are 20+ reasons stop start can stop working, including also straight after reversing, damn things are getting too complicated!

I like the tranny, just doesn't have that quality feel. Had to go to Derby to get a decent deal on mine. Would be nice to have a garage as close to home as Freeport lol. Got a service deal on my van but have to go Northside down elland road to get it done.

Yep TB, have the Northside service pack on mine, use Northside @ Doncaster as they do 24 hr service and repairs, stops down time!!

Yep TB, have the Northside service pack on mine, use Northside @ Doncaster as they do 24 hr service and repairs, stops down time!!

Good to know mate thanks! Will use them next time!

Good to know mate thanks! Will use them next time!
Just ring em first pal, they have just done service on mine, had to go back in for a battery that was faulty, they did it on a Thursday night @ 20.30 as the warranty expired @ midnight that day lol!

Just ring em first pal, they have just done service on mine, had to go back in for a battery that was faulty, they did it on a Thursday night @ 20.30 as the warranty expired @ midnight that day lol!

Now that's service!

Now that's service!

Yeah fitted me in after a gruelling day.....it went like this

chiseled unions off a 30 year old SMC pump, then repaired copper joints lol when I damaged pipe!

Ripped out a Chaff combi in a stone cottage with 30" walls, upgrade gas, soak away fitted, Rf stat, both mains stop taps bust, turned all taps in house and cut a valve in, fit WB 25 Si' luckily flushed and filter fitted by us a few month before, all after 11.00 am start as had to reg little boys birth with Mrs V @ reg office.

landed there @ 20.00, drank their coffee machine dry, drove out @ 20.30!

Yeah fitted me in after a gruelling day.....it went like this

chiseled unions off a 30 year old SMC pump, then repaired copper joints lol when I damaged pipe!

Ripped out a Chaff combi in a stone cottage with 30" walls, upgrade gas, soak away fitted, Rf stat, both mains stop taps bust, turned all taps in house and cut a valve in, fit WB 25 Si' luckily flushed and filter fitted by us a few month before, all after 11.00 am start as had to reg little boys birth with Mrs V @ reg office.

landed there @ 20.00, drank their coffee machine dry, drove out @ 20.30!

Ouch. Not one of your best days then.

I've just got a transporter, T5.1 had it just over a week, love it to bits so far. Use it as my daily driver as well as work van. Sound deadened the back and insulated it. Gotta ply line and rack it next.

used to have a caddy before that than gave me no hassle at all. Just need something a bit bigger.

willing to learn ....DO your self a favour and take this advise :

Go and get your van sound proofed before you ply it ....wish my van was empty .

but i am striping my on the summer to sound proof it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The old adey ones had the same problems the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Ryooo, cool for size, excellent bit of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Amateurs, the lot of you....am I really the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The basin & bathtaps will be pretty old to be...
Replies
Views
Back