Misstakes...? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Misstakes...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have made many mistakes hot water from the outside tap, burnt a carpet or two, smashed the odd ornament etc.Not to bad Ive only been at this game for 6 months lol

I've actually made loads of mistakes and even repeated some (especially the pouring the waste trap contents down the sink/basin I've just taken it from), but the most expensive mistake was buying a "Plumblocal" franchise in 2004

I've actually made loads of mistakes and even repeated some (especially the pouring the waste trap contents down the sink/basin I've just taken it from), but the most expensive mistake was buying a "Plumblocal" franchise in 2004

Oooh....dear

Are you still with them?

I torched a wooden floor when fitting a free standing rad in the summer. Only a small Mark, so I shortened the pipework by an inch and the foot of the rad hid it. 20 mins later the woman came back and all was hid. Tried wire wool first but you could still see it abit, so moving rad was my only option.

i had the centerdrill snap whilst drilling an exspensive bath for the shower hose pull out cutter took a good gouge out but we managed to move the outlet so it covered it was a heart stopping moment

remember the man who never made a mistake never made anything

Last edited:
Don't do mistakes, just self inflicted challenges!!! :) :)

Left the air vent and blank off of a centerrad on a new install. Very nice indoor water feature, all mopped up and dry before customer got back.

Nice scratch in a bath on a retiling job, despite having my old blanket in it to protect it. Boots to the rescue, the 6 grades nail files polished it up a treat.

Fire valve back to front. Doh!

..........and quite a few from previous posts. It must teach me something though cos I never get caught with the same challenge twice :)

I actually had an embarassing incident this afternoon while looking at a leaking electric shower, customer behind me etc.
I was stood on wet floor tiles and was leaning over the bath with my knees pressed against the rim, I removed the front cover plate and it was dangleing from its wires. At that point I leaned foward too much and my feet slid back as I pivoted on my knees. I went down like a sack of s***e head first into the bath ripping the front plate off and a suck on soap dish off as I went down.

I then got up and carried on as if nothing happend, wondering "was there any chance he didn't see that?"

I working with another plumber on an install, he was soldering on one side of the room and I on the other. Where we met in the middle we both assumed the other had soldered a straight coupling.
I had a phonecall at night that the joint was dripping.
Rushed over to drain down and found that the flux was doing a sterling job of saving me from a flood damage claim.

I fitted a mate's bathroom for free when he was down on his luck, while screwing the basin to the wall he distracted me and I cracked it on the screw hole. Told him to hide it from his missus lol!

Turned on after fitting a part 3 ballvalve and heard a sound like rain in the bathroom. I'd forgotten to close the ball-o-fix i'd just fitted and i'd forgotten to put the spout on the outlet at the top. Luckily for me the customer had popped out to the shop and there was a ply floor down ready for tiling. I dried it up with a towel from the van and got my blow lamp on it carefully to dry it all up. Customer never suspected lol!

you lot have jinxed me,me the old man and the captain were on a boiler swap and 10 rad fit today,the old man not thinking cracked on and hung a rad because the captain cant keep up,he grabbed the sds because they are hard walls and drilled strait through the wall killing the designer paper the other side

you lot have jinxed me,me the old man and the captain were on a boiler swap and 10 rad fit today,the old man not thinking cracked on and hung a rad because the captain cant keep up,he grabbed the sds because they are hard walls and drilled strait through the wall killing the designer paper the other side

You know what you need now, don't you? Shorter drill bits :) :) :)

A Chaffeteux Celtic continually losing pressure. EV had already been checked & pressurised. So I figured it has to be a blockage in the flexi hose to the EV. The boiler was in a small square recess off the main kitchen, with a sink nearby. Lifted the EV down with the flex attached, and laid it down on the sink drainer. Took the flex off and it was blocked, cleared that and thought I'd better check the boss on the EV. Shoved a suitable implement into the boss. Well...I never knew that these things could hold so much brown oxtail soup and water, and under 15 PSI the EV span round like a Tazmanian Devil on the drainer. The only thing between all the **** flying out and the kitchen was me. I went out of that job with a new outfit on.
Of course I always remember to release the pressure from EVs now (except when I forget)

some of these i have done,and i'm sure there some iv'e yet to do,but it's cheered me up realizing were no differant.

fell through a ceiling and knocked mate of ladder working below.

mate was core drilling out flue, i went upstairs to start to connect pipework drops from boiler and slipped and put foot through celing kicking mate in the head knocking him off steps. After five mins of laughter and my mate pulling on my leg trying to get me to come through the ceiling completly i had to phone the customer to tell them they had a hole in the ceiling.

Simple but stupid one back when i was young filling up a big old system bleeding away on a rad pin fell out couldnt see it water starts ****ing out cant reach both rad valves shouting away to me mate but so big with other trades banging away couldnt hear me. Oh to top it off cream carpet and it was Frank Warrens house thinking if i ruin this carpet hes gonna whack me

Just tell your custard...."To err is human, to forgive is devine, but yer still no gettin a discount!"

I was doing some pipework alteration on a central heating system , couldn't solder so using compression fittings.

Only hand tightened a couple as I fitted the pipework together, all in place correctly and I tightened up before refilling the combi - only I'd missed a joint on the drop within the wall!!!

Luckily I had it all dried up before the customer got home!

i had a boy with me do that luckily we managed to swop the rads back to back same size and fixed the brackets with studding and nuts ive always wondered if some smart bum decorater ever took the nuts of one side to have the other rad fall of

I was doing some pipework alteration on a central heating system , couldn't solder so using compression fittings.

Only hand tightened a couple as I fitted the pipework together, all in place correctly and I tightened up before refilling the combi - only I'd missed a joint on the drop within the wall!!!

Luckily I had it all dried up before the customer got home!

Think everyones done that had a small leak and then rushed around like a blue arsed fly trying to clear it up b4 custard gets home

when its late at night, your birthday, and your rushing about on a heating system install yourself, never trust the customer to be your look out while you fill so you can crack on with something else, he's saying all clear I go upstairs and water is pssin out and a puddle is lying on his gyproc ceiling, thank god for wet vacs. Also same house I drilled through the ceiling of a different room(school boy error should always drill from below) but when your under pressure you make mistakes lol.

luckily i worked on sites as an apprentice so got away with most of my sanitary ware mistakes, so didnt have to pay out of my own pocket :p nearlly flooded a room in a school which had about 20+ computers stored in while the school was being renovated as I missed the open end 2" pipe when they were filling up heating but someone else spotted it.

someone i used to work with was soldering in the ceiling at an airport above a 10k super computer, solder ball dropped onto it and ruined it

I had one the other day. Compression reducer, kept leaking everytime I filled the system, couldn't get it any tighter - turned to my mate who'd put the fitting together (in fairness he's not a plumber) and asked if there was an olive in it!

He couldn't remember and when I took it all apart guess what - no olive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The timeclock is hopefully fairly self...
Replies
Views
No you couldn’t need to be gas safe
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
L
It's one of those where the only winners will...
Replies
Views
A
It’s mainly because of the boss eg pipe into...
Replies
Views
Back