Misstakes...? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Misstakes...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine was about 3 weeks ago i was fitting bathroom and had to extend pipework through a wall to an en-suite next room along. House had no stop tap just one outside front door full of soil Which is always worrying iso valves to bathroom only.
The Day before install i asked tnt to remove some tongue an groove panelling where pipes were going through to a room next door He agreed, got there he had left them on, so to save time i got my small wood core bit out and give it a go........Whoosh
Cut right through heating pipe buried in wall panic panic ladders out into loft to isolate f&e
small flood in house ceiling collapsed but it wasnt my fault he left the t&g on!! learned very quickly on that one, Im lucky i have a understanding boss!

Sitting in a loft years ago, turned the stopcock off to tee in for the F&E and cut the pipe below the valve:speechless:

Ceilings were fine but there was no glasswool left by the time i mopped it up.

Sitting in a loft years ago, turned the stopcock off to tee in for the F&E and cut the pipe below the valve:speechless:

Ceilings were fine but there was no glasswool left by the time i mopped it up.

stops the itch though LOL:santa_cheesy:

New boiler swap, so new condesate had to be run round low level outside, so set up core drill have a look round, lecy meter box outside, measure up check dricetion of incoming mains all good miles away from anything, get out the core drill away we go, thought the first corse, clean out core and go again big bang cloud of smoke drill still spining!!! WTF!!! pull drill out look though core drilled all the way though mains lecy cable to next door!! Oh dear this is going to cost!! then next door comes round " have done something all my lecys gone off" better make the call!!

fortunatly the power guys said it should not have been installed like that, so your in the clear mate!! thank @@@@@ for that!!!

New boiler swap, so new condesate had to be run round low level outside, so set up core drill have a look round, lecy meter box outside, measure up check dricetion of incoming mains all good miles away from anything, get out the core drill away we go, thought the first corse, clean out core and go again big bang cloud of smoke drill still spining!!! WTF!!! pull drill out look though core drilled all the way though mains lecy cable to next door!! Oh dear this is going to cost!! then next door comes round " have done something all my lecys gone off" better make the call!!

fortunatly the power guys said it should not have been installed like that, so your in the clear mate!! thank @@@@@ for that!!!

Jesus!

That could have fried you!

what was worse my side was still live!!! must remember to get the RCD out the van more often!!

I did that too a couple of years ago. Coring through an inch and half hole for the gas (in the pouring rain) and straight through the incoming electric that was dropped in the cavity. Tripped out the substation at the top of the road and put the street off.
I got billed £600 odd for that one plus the cost of
my core bit.

had similair issue drilling through a wall to run f+r c.h pipework and went through a cable was was late on in the day as was trying to get all messy work done and tidy up as had planed all runs so ended up working late and having to repair in the dark with a torch light. it was actualy sat inbetween the brick joint in morter so in fairness i would hae never of sin it. but not a main like u ure v.lucky lol

Last year I reversed onto the custards driveway to get the van a bit nearer. As I left that evening there was a twang as pulled onto the road and a black wire flew across in front of me.

As I reversed in, my roof ladder hook had passed under the telephone cable to next door. When I drove out it wrenched it out of the wall. I had visions of telephones jammed against the outside wall.

BT didn't charge for the repair as the line had been hanging too low. I've been a bit more aware of low cables since then and this incident probably saved me a worse one when a custard offered to let me park on his drive, the leccy to his house was strung across lower than the hook on my ladder.

You should bought a few Lottos, with your luck (not becoming toast) you wouldn't be on here now.:icon12:

Doing a full central heating system a few monts ago, turned the stop tap of 25mm alk, tap was realy stiff, all day worrying about the stiff stop tap, turned it back on later that day, and just a trickle coming through the taps,, spent 2hours trying to locate another stop tap and calling tge water supplyer (useless), the next morning i arrive with a freeze kit and a new stop tap, left the freeze kit on fir the required time, cracket the nut on the stop tape , slowly undid the nut removed the tap, BANG ice plug blew out, mains water every were, so lucky the customer was away for a week

Not my mistake as such. But a long time ago, when I was an apprentice, (that was a long time ago) I was with a fitter, and we were to fit a new cooker at a top floor flat of a four storey building. We carried the new cooker up the stairs (no lift).
The new cooker was light as a feather compared to the old Cannon cooker we were to take out. The Cannon was one of the old mostly cast iron and steel frame type, bloody heavy.
The guy in charge said "we're not carrying this down the stairs, we'll chuck it off the fire escape at the back" which we did.
It landed in the back garden and pretty much disassembled itself in the grass.
As we were leaving, the old dear says "can you put the old cooker in the cellar because my friend wants it for her kitchen"
I can't remember what the outcome was, but I do remember we left pretty sharpish.

Working in a monastery at my first "big" job fitting a shower room and basins, pipe runs were going through the loft. walking around in the loft with no torch and steel cap boots on tripped over and managed to kick the speed fit cap end the incoming mains feed, flooded a few rooms but luckily not the room a few feet away that was used to contain all the old statues and antic books. oh dear.

i,ve got hundreds of much ups but a good one was fitting one direction trv,s on the wrong pipe southampton job centre vibrated as the pumps belted against the closed valves

Ive had a few in the past like most, but the most costly one I ever did was to fit a 6 bar PRV on a combi, (both 3 and 6 bar PRV's I use have got red caps so didnt notice), cust left the filling loop on a few months later, which split the expansion vessel and most o ring seal joints and pi$$ed water through the ceiling.

Had to take the boiler off the wall to do repairs and repainted the ceiling for them FOC!!!

another one i remember was stripping out and first fixing for a loft conversion usual stuff rad and on suite with towel rail. got it all done without any issues there was no floor down just crawling boards on ceiling and steels in place everything mark out to some degree anyway just finished and as paking up and walking away triped up over the sparks wires he didnt clip up i went flying tools in hand feet through ceiling luky for me the customer had just got up from exactly underneth where i fell just moments before i put it all right foc for them

set alight hessian lagging in a roof space that one for stopping your heart it spreads like a forest fire

using my rothenburger torch thought it had turned off, put it behind me, then smell of burning, looked round to see 6 pot towels hung on the back door well alight and setting fire to blind on the door, unfortunately no water because that was what I was working on, emptied flask full of warm tea, still we learn.

Try setting fire to the building paper on a timber kit house for a heart stopper :lol:
now thats a pants filler when i was in tech years ago we set fire to one of the other trainees coat,he was wearing it at the time,now he did soil himself,nobody would say it was me funny at the time bloody stupid in hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The timeclock is hopefully fairly self...
Replies
Views
No you couldn’t need to be gas safe
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
L
It's one of those where the only winners will...
Replies
Views
A
It’s mainly because of the boss eg pipe into...
Replies
Views
Back