My hot water seems far too hot 🥵 | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss My hot water seems far too hot 🥵 in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

D

Deleted member 120897

Greetings members of plumbersforums,

Firstly - long post alert

I’m struggling with my hot water currently - I’ve only mainly dealt with combi boilers, even then, not really had hot water too hot. Anyway I digress, my system is an open vented pre-lagged cylinder, S-plan, Myson 2 ports with a Myson cylinder stat. My hot water seems far too hot, I haven’t measured it recently, but when I did a wholeness back, I was getting 68/69 from being set at 60. I reduced it to 40, and was manageable, but still seemed hot. I’ve been been trying to “test” it today, and wife’s has said it’s gone worse. Here’s what has been done so far:

• Replaced Myson with Honeywell temporary, still same issue (although couldn’t have wired it wrong)
  • 2port isn’t firing boiler by itself (that I know of)
  • Checked spindle on 2 port - is fine
  • Immersion heater isn’t on - checked and double checked
  • Checked lever on 2 port head - not fantastic resistance
  • 2 port comes on when I turn dial up on stat, and goes off when I turn it down
  • Noticed just now, cylinder stat no longer clicking
  • When I tested for continuity between orange and grey it brought pump on? But was my multimeter acting as a link?
  • Cylinder stat is making good contact, and worked fine for approx 9 years
  • Felt tank by stat, seems cold?
I have checked wiring from cylinder thermostat and is as follows:
  • Common from programmer goes to terminal 1
  • There’s a blue wire (assuming switch live?) in terminal 2
  • Nothing in terminal 3
I read it as 3 is call for heat? I asked elsewhere and told call is terminal 2? This is where I’m struggling - can anyone explain it better? Can anyone help me test this properly? Someone has mentioned stratification?

A thanks already in advance

Attachments

• 9240BEB1-BC76-4A23-87AB-02FAD082F568.jpeg
    9240BEB1-BC76-4A23-87AB-02FAD082F568.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 44
  • 212C53FD-8C38-4290-9082-8AFAD473F609.jpeg
    212C53FD-8C38-4290-9082-8AFAD473F609.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
So the cylinder stat reaches satisfaction and closes down the valve and shuts off the boiler?
Do you live in a hard water area by any chance?
Yes, the stat is satisfied and turns off. Also 2 port was renewed by myself recently, as originally I thought it might have been the end switch sticking.

Nope, checked this recently with changing my shower valve, it’s soft I believe, comes from Lake Vrnwy in Wales.

Does sound like the stat shutting down is delayed. A hard water area can cause mass accumulation of limescale within and on the cylinder walls, this would cause the problem you're experiencing.
Could you upload an image of your cylinder so we can see the position of the stat?

Does sound like the stat shutting down is delayed. A hard water area can cause mass accumulation of limescale within and on the cylinder walls, this would cause the problem you're experiencing.
Could you upload an image of your cylinder so we can see the position of the stat?
Yes no problem , I’ll do it tomorrow when the lighting is better, many thanks so far. Do you think it could still be scale even though I’m soft water area?

If you are definitely in a soft water area then probably not, however some areas are considered temporarily soft, meaning it can be soft some time and hard the other. I can't remember the exact figure but it's something like 150mg/litre of calcium and magnesium is considered hard and above that is considered very hard. From what you've said all electrical components are functioning as they should but it also sounds like there is a delay in the stat reading the water temperature. The only real way to see if the cylinder was fouled would be to cut it open, which I'm not advising. Does your kettle ever fur up?

As discussed, photos. Cylinder is approx 950 mm in height. Also attached is screenshots from United Utilities showing water is classed as soft.

Attachments

• BDB97DE3-BB3B-4CE8-9329-E7AE977B1EBB.jpeg
    BDB97DE3-BB3B-4CE8-9329-E7AE977B1EBB.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 66D7D7E7-1E99-415B-8F88-21619BB5A420.jpeg
    66D7D7E7-1E99-415B-8F88-21619BB5A420.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 33
  • CCD00AA5-CF54-434E-B59F-D14AB84BA3B3.jpeg
    CCD00AA5-CF54-434E-B59F-D14AB84BA3B3.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 33
  • 7D82F939-D1E4-471C-AE2A-C93B5F53D44B.png
    7D82F939-D1E4-471C-AE2A-C93B5F53D44B.png
    287.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 020A05AC-CE96-41EE-BC8E-8B7DC2811060.png
    020A05AC-CE96-41EE-BC8E-8B7DC2811060.png
    572.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
The stat location looks a little low, although I couldn't say for sure where it's best placed. Perhaps @ShaunCorbs can clarify.
With the stats location and setting of 40°c the water at the top of the cylinder will naturally be hotter.
Have you got a thermometer out and actually measured the temperature of water at the taps?

Don't know how often your top mounted immersion is used but if fairly often then these often burn out often or trip the RCD if fitted, (I have very soft water as my immersion is 49 years old) the water results certainly look soft to my untrained eye, its very strange why the cylinder feels cold adjacent to the stat, especially since its above the coil return, to absolutely rule out the stat maybe heat a pot/kettle of water to say 50/60C, hold the stat up against it and see if the dial settings correspond to its switching on/off.

The stat location looks a little low, although I couldn't say for sure where it's best placed. Perhaps @ShaunCorbs can clarify.
With the stats location and setting of 40°c the water at the top of the cylinder will naturally be hotter.
Have you got a thermometer out and actually measured the temperature of water at the taps?
I did a while ago, and set at 50 iirc came out of the tap iirc over 60, possibly even close to 70. I need to service the boiler, so may do everything at once. Thanks.

You will but would expect 5 to 10C max depending on the distance between the coil flow/return, I have two coils in my cylinder, the bottom one, a solar coil has a very short distance between the flow and return and there is virtually no difference between any of the three probes, one just above the solar coil, the second about cylinder midway, the third at the cylinder top. The boiler coil which heats 100 litres of the 150 litre cylinder will gives 5/8C differential max. Would like to see the differential with a bottom mounted immersion element.

You will but would expect 5 to 10C max depending on the distance between the coil flow/return, I have two coils in my cylinder, the bottom one, a solar coil has a very short distance between the flow and return and there is virtually no difference between any of the three probes, one just above the solar coil, the second about cylinder midway, the third at the cylinder top. The boiler coil which heats 100 litres of the 150 litre cylinder will gives 5/8C differential max. Would like to see the differential with a bottom mounted immersion element.

I remember a post of yours a very long time ago about your cylinder and the testing you had done.
You would agree with me that a ∆T between stat and temperature at the taps of around 20°c seems a lot?

I remember a post of yours a very long time ago about your cylinder and the testing you had done.
You would agree with me that a ∆T between stat and temperature at the taps of around 20°c seems a lot?
Yes, couldn't see that deltaT (normally) unless the stat is faulty or dial mis positioned or cylinder motorized valve passing with boiler on CH. Other unlikely cause could be the bottom "1/2" of the coil immersed in a mountain of limescale but moving the stat up might tell alot.

Yes, couldn't see that deltaT (normally) unless the stat is faulty or dial mis positioned or cylinder motorized valve passing with boiler on CH. Other unlikely cause could be the bottom "1/2" of the coil immersed in a mountain of limescale but moving the stat up might tell alot.

The OP is adamant that the water in his area is soft and by the data he showed it does look very soft.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Morning, he took it out from where it was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It’s calling out for an unvented as it’s a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You've fecked up, it's not the way to do it...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
Back