My hot water seems far too hot šŸ„µ | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss My hot water seems far too hot šŸ„µ in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

D

Deleted member 120897

Greetings members of plumbersforums,

Firstly - long post alert

Iā€™m struggling with my hot water currently - Iā€™ve only mainly dealt with combi boilers, even then, not really had hot water too hot. Anyway I digress, my system is an open vented pre-lagged cylinder, S-plan, Myson 2 ports with a Myson cylinder stat. My hot water seems far too hot, I havenā€™t measured it recently, but when I did a wholeness back, I was getting 68/69 from being set at 60. I reduced it to 40, and was manageable, but still seemed hot. Iā€™ve been been trying to ā€œtestā€ it today, and wifeā€™s has said itā€™s gone worse. Hereā€™s what has been done so far:

• Replaced Myson with Honeywell temporary, still same issue (although couldnā€™t have wired it wrong)
  • 2port isnā€™t firing boiler by itself (that I know of)
  • Checked spindle on 2 port - is fine
  • Immersion heater isnā€™t on - checked and double checked
  • Checked lever on 2 port head - not fantastic resistance
  • 2 port comes on when I turn dial up on stat, and goes off when I turn it down
  • Noticed just now, cylinder stat no longer clicking
  • When I tested for continuity between orange and grey it brought pump on? But was my multimeter acting as a link?
  • Cylinder stat is making good contact, and worked fine for approx 9 years
  • Felt tank by stat, seems cold?
I have checked wiring from cylinder thermostat and is as follows:
  • Common from programmer goes to terminal 1
  • Thereā€™s a blue wire (assuming switch live?) in terminal 2
  • Nothing in terminal 3
I read it as 3 is call for heat? I asked elsewhere and told call is terminal 2? This is where Iā€™m struggling - can anyone explain it better? Can anyone help me test this properly? Someone has mentioned stratification?

A thanks already in advance

Attachments

• 9240BEB1-BC76-4A23-87AB-02FAD082F568.jpeg
    9240BEB1-BC76-4A23-87AB-02FAD082F568.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 44
  • 212C53FD-8C38-4290-9082-8AFAD473F609.jpeg
    212C53FD-8C38-4290-9082-8AFAD473F609.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
Just adjust the stat to match 60dc outlet this might reduce the stored hot water you have eg at temp might only have 1/3 -1/2 of a cylinder of hot water

Not sure if itā€™s worth mentioning, but I can put my dhw on timer, comes on approx 6am, goes off at 7:45am, will probably last until early to mid afternoon (nobody using it much then). During this timed period, Iā€™ll hear the boiler fire up at least 3 times, is that normal?

Seems normal enough, as the cylinder temperature rises the coil emits less heat so the boiler may cycle a few times before the stat is satisfied.
Forgot to ask if there is a big difference between the coil flow and return temperatures, even by just feeling them when the boiler is firing.

Yea normal to cycle as the coil kw is lower than boiler kw normal tends to do it on hot water only

If the coil was very badly scaled then there would be little difference in the flow/return temperatures., Normally, it depends on the circulation flow rate through the coil, the faster it circulates the less the difference (deltaT) between the flow/return and the more heat emitted so the cylinder heats up faster. If the flow rate is very slow then you will get a very high deltaT but the cylinder will take much longer to heat up but you may get a higher temperature difference between the cylinder top and bottom. I can't see scale being your problem.

Assume you atre heating say 200 litres from 30 to 60C will require 7kwh (14kw coil) if heat up time is 30 mins and if the coil is circulating between 15 and 20LPM will mean a coil deltaT of between 13.5C and 10C so with very hot boiler water might be difficult to pick up by hand if 10C or less, measurement is best obviously.

Here, for interest, is a screenshot of readings taken from my twin coil 150 litre cylinder of which 100 litres is heated with the boiler coil, the solar coil heats either 50 litres (dedicated solar volume) or 150 litres for 5/6 summer months with no auxiliary heating.
1632997773152.png

Not sure if itā€™s worth mentioning, but I can put my dhw on timer, comes on approx 6am, goes off at 7:45am, will probably last until early to mid afternoon (nobody using it much then). During this timed period, Iā€™ll hear the boiler fire up at least 3 times, is that normal?

how many people in your house? Showers or baths?

using the timer should mean the HW is only heated when the timer tells it to - so if itā€™s doing HW when the timer is ā€œoffā€ then Iā€™d say youā€™ve got a wiring issue

using the timer should mean the HW is only heated when the timer tells it to - so if itā€™s doing HW when the timer is ā€œoffā€ then Iā€™d say youā€™ve got a wiring issue
4 (2 adults and 2 children), showers are teatime ish, baths are one every other day for the kids. I donā€™t think itā€™s heating it outside of these times, it was more for clarity of how long the hot water lasts. Thanks.

Screen just shows time taken to heat from cold (65 mins). cylinder heating times programmed (twice/day) from solar controller.
Two people normally, 3/4, occasional weekends, bath "never" used.

Edit: replied to wrong post.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Morning, he took it out from where it was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Itā€™s calling out for an unvented as itā€™s a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You've fecked up, it's not the way to do it...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault Iā€™m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
Back