New boiler and scrappage | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New boiler and scrappage in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

r1cbm

Hi there,

I'm getting 3 quotes this week as I noticed the new scrappage scheme and thought I would see what the cost of change would be. We have a house that's 23 years old and so is the boiler although it has been serviced every year. I remember when we moved in and I fitted a new kitchen the plumber who moved the gas stove and pipework, said is wasn't worth changing as it works and you can still get parts for it.

Anyway, I'm interested in what sort of quotes I am going to get, we have British gas coming next week, and 2 local companies this week.

The boiler is a potterton netaheat and looks like it qualifies for the 400 notes off.

What should I be asking about the make of new boiler they are looking to supply? I assume like all things there are good ones and not so good ones.

Cheers

Hi there,

I'm getting 3 quotes this week as I noticed the new scrappage scheme and thought I would see what the cost of change would be. We have a house that's 23 years old and so is the boiler although it has been serviced every year. I remember when we moved in and I fitted a new kitchen the plumber who moved the gas stove and pipework, said is wasn't worth changing as it works and you can still get parts for it.

Anyway, I'm interested in what sort of quotes I am going to get, we have British gas coming next week, and 2 local companies this week.

The boiler is a potterton netaheat and looks like it qualifies for the 400 notes off.

What should I be asking about the make of new boiler they are looking to supply? I assume like all things there are good ones and not so good ones.

Cheers
best answer i can give is you get what you pay for get your quotes and the google whats been offered rehema are good as are vaillants

a netaheat????they are deathtraps how do you manage to service it?the case seals are obsolete, but you will get the 400 pound off

a netaheat????they are deathtraps how do you manage to service it?the case seals are obsolete, but you will get the 400 pound off

We haven't had it serviced in 3 years since we have had it, but the previous owners have. Also, it does smell odd when it's running.

Quote number one is in.

£2600

Remove existing boiler (which he checked and is fine)
Supply and fit Vaillant Ecotec 418
Supply and fit new flue kit
Adapt existing pipework fit magnaclean pro 22mm above boiler
install 4 rad valves
1st service included for free
2 years parts and labour warranty

So.... I go searching for the cost of the boiler. £650ish.
Flue kit £60.
Red valves £12 so for 4 lets say £50
Annual service? £100?
Filter £100
So arguments sake, about £1000 on parts.
1 day to install

Am I missing anything here?

Last edited by a moderator:
best answer i can give is you get what you pay for

Oh the good old days :)

Were abouts does it say that on a BG quote :D :eek: :(

Quote number one is in.

£2600

Remove existing boiler (which he checked and is fine)
Supply and fit Vaillant Ecotec 418
Supply and fit new flue kit
Adapt existing pipework fit magnaclean pro 22mm above boiler
install 4 rad valves
1st service included for free
2 years parts and labour warranty

So.... I go searching for the cost of the boiler. £650ish.
Flue kit £60.
Red valves £12 so for 4 lets say £50
Annual service? £100?
Filter £100
So arguments sake, about £1000 on parts.
1 day to install

Am I missing anything here?

built in programmer :)

This is not British Gas, this is Mr Local.

So where's the other £1600 going then ?

It is not as simple as looking on the internet and adding it all up!
You have to bear in mind all the factors.ie The costs of running a buisness
Pli insurance
Tools -Flue gas analyser & core set nearly a £1000
Time providing quote
time organizing and cost of buying all parts required
Paying wages for the day
When u run a buisness you need to make a profit not a wage!
But if it is of any help try and find some one local to your self that u can trust and when u have done that stick with them.
you will no doubt find cheaper but people have used cheap people before to findthat there installer wasnt registered hence no boiler gaurentee and unable to ever find them again.
be careful take ur time and good luck
paul

understand your comments, but 1600! must be gold plated tools and a 3 day week :)

you have not included the cost of copper tube, fittings, fuel , van servicing, gas registration fees, liability insurance, training courses, time spent with a reliable merchant buying the goods (only fools buy off the net and have parcelforce drop the boiler off , pun intended). As mentioned you have to pay for a service, oh dont forget a 23 year old heating system may well need a flush through with a power flush to stop the new boiler choking up straightaway. Once BG have been and offered £800 off their price you may understand that you local boy is actually good value, quit moaning about cost of plumbers, your quote is cheap!!!

boiler installations can be very hard work too and sometimes i think is it worth it, mostly it is!! remember this, you pay a solicitor for advice, his qualifications and expertise. often words from his mouth and a bit of time and thats a bill coming your way. well thats the type of training an expertise in our work. and for your hard earned pennies you will have a good boiler and the knowing you have a safe home after completion. your gona sh#t when you get bg quote

quit moaning about cost of plumbers, your quote is cheap!!!

I'm not moaning, I'm asking for thoughts to help me understand the costs of completing this work and not getting ripped off. If the job is £2600 then odds are we won't bother as it's not worth it, I'm better paying for higher gas bills unless I live in this house for 20 years which is highly unlikely.

I have no problem paying a little more for relaiable work which you will never know until you have used a service or had a recommendation. I am new to the area so don't have a recomendation so I am hopeing to get some thoughts from here to help me make the right decision.

So you are helping me to answer my question. Thank you.

boiler installations can be very hard work too and sometimes i think is it worth it, mostly it is!! remember this, you pay a solicitor for advice, his qualifications and expertise. often words from his mouth and a bit of time and thats a bill coming your way. well thats the type of training an expertise in our work. and for your hard earned pennies you will have a good boiler and the knowing you have a safe home after completion. your gona sh#t when you get bg quote

I can't wait for BG. I love sales man :)

you have not included the cost of copper tube, fittings, fuel , van servicing, gas registration fees, liability insurance, training courses, time spent with a reliable merchant buying the goods (only fools buy off the net and have parcelforce drop the boiler off , pun intended). As mentioned you have to pay for a service, oh dont forget a 23 year old heating system may well need a flush through with a power flush to stop the new boiler choking up straightaway. Once BG have been and offered £800 off their price you may understand that you local boy is actually good value, quit moaning about cost of plumbers, your quote is cheap!!!
i probably buy half of my matierials from the net with good reason , price.ive got a good relationship with several local merchants both indipendent and nationals but a lot of the time they cant or wont compete with net based companies
especially for bulk orders of plastic and copper fittings

I hear where youre coming from with sundries, my worry is people buying large components ie boilers and cylinders.

I agree, I wouldnt have made £1600 on this job, 2 days max with flush, maybe £500. But then again I never seem to have any money,more fool me.

Making £500 on a two day job is good, wage. Mind you depends if your self employed or running a business.

I take no money for parts, components, materials or other little bits, labour only...keeps myself out of the vat bracket :) So if you are happy with working at 250 for a day then top man its what i'd charge.

As for the quote of £2600 that sounds reasonable. Get BG to give you a quote, then kick them out.

you think you've had an expensive quote ?

ive just been quoted almost 15k (+vat) for a 500kw broagg, delivered and built on site.
i'm over the moon with that!

£2,600 for 10-15 years - approx £260 a year. A good 12 hours a day spent in the house.

2-3 hours spent in a car and over 10 years you're paying around £2,000 per year in depreciation.

£2,500 is a fairly standard price for installing a boiler, sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.

You're also paying for a proper qualified certificate which, if sell before 10 years is up, will show the boiler was installed within current building regulations. Like lawyers and doctors learning their trade, plumbers have to pay for their education too and charge accordingly. Except unlike many lawyers we tend not to rip off our clients.

your quite right to question any quote, and compare quotes r1cbm. just because you use a legit company to do your work may not mean your getting a legit price. in my area i would quote around 2000 to 2200 if thats any help, although its not city prices. i am hiring a clown for my sons birthday, for 2 hours its 150 pound. nuff said!

Thanks for the comments. BG have come in.

BG 330+ High Efficiency Boiler
1 year homecare 200
Flue
installation
connect and test electrics
Power flush
Magclean filter
No hidden charges
£2,212

So £400 cash back and I pay 1800!

I wonder if BG have been reading this thread to prove us all wrong?!!

R1cbm - well done - it pays to shop around. Let's hope they do the job properly for you.

I wonder if BG have been reading this thread to prove us all wrong?!!

R1cbm - well done - it pays to shop around. Let's hope they do the job properly for you.

Well, it's centrica who will be doing the install. If they fcuk it up I'll turn off their anti virus as they are a big customer of mine :D

So. All the quotes are in.

Mr Local number 1 = £2600
BG = £2200
Mr Local number 3 = £1790
Mr local number 4 (Who actually moved my gas cooker and I didn't recognise him) = £1700/1800

I'm going with number 4 as he was recommended by a friend, didn't try to pull the wool over my eyes with bull arguments around you need this and this and this.....

Thanks for the comments. BG have come in.

BG 330+ High Efficiency Boiler
1 year homecare 200
Flue
installation
connect and test electrics
Power flush
Magclean filter
No hidden charges
£2,212

So £400 cash back and I pay 1800!
cool, what boiler is a bg 330? is it a worcester in drag?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
H
Prob blocked / frozen condense pipe does it...
Replies
Views
Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
thanks.... yes, so my diagram and wording is...
2 3
Replies
Views
Back