New Boiler Booming! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New Boiler Booming! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

browneyedgirl

I have recently had an ideal boiler independent c35 fitted. it is now making a boom noise as if someone outside is slamming a car door and seems to happen when the boiler is running. Any ideas please? - the installer fitted a different flue as the previous one was a long one which had let in rain but its still happening. So I am not sure if to chase the installer again or phone the boiler manufacturer as I have registered the boiler for its warranty. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions - these would be most appreciated. I just dont know if its the boiler itself or the installation, the installer didn't seem to know what it was and of course if never happened while he was here, typical!! Thank you in advance.

Get your installer back as soon as possible. If he fails to respond you can contact the manufacturer under your warranty or contact gas safe directly for an independent free of charge inspection. Something sounds very wrong to me.

I will give it another try! I guess it is difficult for the installer as he didn't seem to know the cause and said he hadn't heard of this before but its a bit worrying as its a brand new boiler and if its not the boiler I dont want whatever is causing the booming noise to damage the new boiler. There was quite a bit of water which came out of the previous flue, maybe water is lying around somewhere? The new flue which the installer installed is a much smaller one which sticks out of the wall very slightly but it still happens - SIGH! I am sure it will get sorted, its just you pay for something thinking you are getting something better and it goes wrong within weeks. Thank you for your comments. I knew it wasn't normal!!!

No it's not normal. If you get stuck post your location and there may be someone local who could come and have a look for you.

Sounds like a manufacture visit is needed, possible ignition boom!

call Ideal

bet its a inlet pressure issue ,though i would have thought the installer would have checked that

sounds like it needs setting up correctly.

if a boiler fails to light is that called "ignition phut" :)

Do you mean it goes boom when igniting or makes a booming noise intermittently whilst running?

hi, it makes a booming noise intermittently whilst its running - if the thermostat reachs room temperature and the boiler goes off then it is ok but as soon as it flares up and starts running then the booming noise happens, and its not just the odd time it is quite a few times throughout the day - it is a bit worrying - is this dangerous? Do I need to turn the boiler off do you think? (sorry for the questions!)

yes will definitely be phoning around tomorrow morning though I dont think I will get far with the installer - got the impression he wasn't interested but I dont mind giving ideal a call to see what they say. Will let you know how I get on. Thank you so much gentlemen

if installer a no show, call gas safe register for inspection visit/complaint and also check your installer is registered in the first place.

I think you should call in the manufacturers under the warranty.

There are two components that can cause this noise in my experience, neither of which is your installers responsibility (unless of course there is insufficient gas pressure at the boiler)

If your boiler is booming and making noise.Than you should get back to your installer first,may be he fitted something wrong.check out your boiler as soon as possible.

Just an update, the Ideal engineer came today and replaced the ignition unit (luckily it boomed when he was here - phew!!) - he said the boiler was not igniting straight away when it was firing up so the build up of gas was the cause of the boom noise, so hopefully all should be ok as it hasn't happened since. Thank you again for everybody's advice, it is much appreciated

Nice to see someone on here come back with some info of what the fault was for a change

Shouldn't the boiler purge any gas within the burner before sparking?

from a women's point of view! I think its similar to when you light a gas hob and it doesn't light straight away, it does make more of a "boom" when it eventually lights so I think the same was happening with the inigition unit. It was taking a few attempts to re-ignite when it started to fire up and when it eventually did the excess gas would blow up through the flue hence the "boom" noise - I think this was what was happening!

Yeah but on all boilers the first stage of the ignition process is for the fan to start purging any gas in the burner out of the flue. So when the boiler sparks the boom doesn't happen. If the fan don't start the boiler shouldn't spark! Weird ha.

Thank you this is brilliant as I will most definitely keep a note of this as if it does start to happen again at least I can suggest this to the engineer. So far so good! If you dont hear from me for a few weeks!!! then you will know the boiler is igniting and all is ok

Yeah but on all boilers the first stage of the ignition process is for the fan to start purging any gas in the burner out of the flue. So when the boiler sparks the boom doesn't happen. If the fan don't start the boiler shouldn't spark! Weird ha.

fan runs, aps satisfied, ignition circuit activated and allows gas to flow, but weak spark and no lighty until 2nd or third attempt and boom almighty.

youll get the same from a boiler thats undergased the fan blows x amount of air per minute in and at the right working preasure this draws the right amount of gas in if its under gassed the same amount of air draws less gas and you get a weak mixture which cant sustain the burn so it lights and relights in rapid succesion without actually fully going out its similar to a car pinking(probably only older members will know about cars pinking or running on )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Just for completion, and to have this archived...
Replies
Views
Yep that uses the ideal valves common issue...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
H
Prob blocked / frozen condense pipe does it...
Replies
Views
Hope with your case you reported it to trading...
Replies
Views
Back