New Boiler Booming! | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New Boiler Booming! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes I do remember pinking, along with misfiring, wet ht leads etc.

delayed ignition and banging is quite common on band a boilers,had a few spark gen play up but biggest cause is normally inlet pressure to low

Your right, well done glad its sorted

Think we shouldn't advise customers to be so quick at phoning Gas Safe lads??? Could cause an installer some unnecessary stress.

Your right, well done glad its sorted

Think we shouldn't advise customers to be so quick at phoning Gas Safe lads??? Could cause an installer some unnecessary stress.

Actually they should call Gas Safe (RGII) anyway, the cause of the problem was very obvious so the installer should not have walked away, we all have a duty of care to our customers, the public believe we are competent because we are on the Gas Safe (RGII) list.

I have no problem with an obvious incompetent installer being struck off.

How is the guy incompetent? The ignition board brand new boiler has been changed, it may not of boomed during gas rate commission.

Either way, that's just my opinion..

me again!!! well boiler still booming!! I have to admit I didn't hear a boom for the first day and did think all had been sorted but the second day I heard a slight boom but thought I would see how it goes, now a few days later it is booming louder so will call Ideal again as the engineer was very helpful and said any problems just give them a ring. Will let you know how I get on

thank you I will mention all possible remedies to the engineer in a polite and pleasant way of course! as I believe there is nothing worse telling someone how to do their job - I bet you guys get that quite often by Mr or Mrs Know It Alls!!

thank you I will mention all possible remedies to the engineer in a polite and pleasant way of course! as I believe there is nothing worse telling someone how to do their job - I bet you guys get that quite often by Mr or Mrs Know It Alls!!

Not at all never heard that ne before

well me again and guess what flipping boiler still booming! I have had two ideal engineers (well same bloke though on his last visit he said he wont bother doing anything as he didn't know what was the cause) he did go to the gas box outside and that seemed to be ok (whatever he was checking). So he is arranging for a technician to check boiler as he said they do a more thorough check. A strange thing occurred last week in that I was unloading the car and the flue just went bang (sounding as if a shotgun had gone off - nearly messed myself!) - it really was loud with a large amount of steam oozing from the flue and then the steam just leaving the flue normally so there must have been a build up of something just the way the steam was leaving the flue. So gawd knows if it has always been making this noise from outside and I just haven't realised. When indoors it does sound like someone is slamming a car door outside but I was surprised at how loud it was when I was outside, I thought the flue had exploded. It doesn't seem to be as bad since the first engineer replaced the ignition unit but it is still happening and it could be me but I think it gets worse when it gets really cold but again that could just be me. So waiting for ideal technician and will let you know how I get on. Have a good weekend/week

Last edited by a moderator:
That don't sound too good! Sounds very dangerous. My knowledge of gas boilers is very limited so I can only advise you to get someone to have a look at it who has experience troubleshooting.

Could the ratio be incorrect ?? Too much air in the mixture and its causing a mini explosion in the combustion chamber when the boiler 1st fires up ..just a thought..

I havent come across a boiler booming before. But sure someone on here will have!

Hope they are coming to it soon, I would be using that boiler as little as possible.

Could the ratio be incorrect ?? Too much air in the mixture and its causing a mini explosion in the combustion chamber when the boiler 1st fires up ..just a thought..

I havent come across a boiler booming before. But sure someone on here will have!

Hope they are coming to it soon, I would be using that boiler as little as possible.

Lucky I'm not there the meter would be in the back of my van to ensure it couldn't be used.

In the solid fuel business it's what's called a gas over, too much gas in the boiler possibly caused by delayed ignition.

Far as I know the new Ideal Logic's are factory set so no need to gas rate the appliance.

Domestic gas boilers are not designed to explode on ignition.

Wonder if theres a blockage.. seems strange when it booms theres a plume out the flue...?

Wonder if theres a blockage... seems strange when it booms theres a plume out the flue...?

not really, as the explosion will produce poc and water vapour but in a more dramatic way

not really, as the explosion will produce poc and water vapour but in a more dramatic way

Didnt think of that, on a non condenser does that happen if explosive combustion occurs cos ive never seen it. just thought with it being a condenser thay may be some build up. i'd like to now though for fr.

Hi Browneyedgirl what does the Commissioning Sheet state at the inlet pressure?
In my opinion this boiler should have been made safe and the reason rectified.

At best there is a good chance to damage the boiler.

Another theory: These things did tend to happen mostly by problems inside the combustion chamber. it gives a proper bang. The plume would just be blown out POCs.

It should not happen by a weak ignition as the boiler should purge in between the ignition attempts. But never say no. Different manufacturers do implement things differently.

Far as I know the new Ideal Logic's are factory set so no need to gas rate the appliance.

You would be amazed about the readings of a few of those "factory set" devices. Especially on LPG I do quite often find out of the box readings at least borderline to a shut off upon commissioning. Made me a number of times double checking with a second FGA. But no, just totally off set ups.

By the way one of these I could not get set up properly at all. The called out engineer from the manufacturer asked me what my problem is with a few thousand ppm CO. It obviously had established a stable flame and was working. I could not believe my ears.

But then again AFAIK you are not allowed to commission a boiler without FGA since 2011 anyway. Just that stupid CO/CO2 ratio gets me as it is just like a piece of string. I prefer both readings individually as this tells the tale upfront. And if you then feel the need for a ratio its done via calculator in no time.

I believe the person responsible to ensure this boiler is working properly should be the original installer.

Passing responsibility in the manner described is in my view not acceptable, by all means call the manufacturers tech support in to rectify the problem but stay to make sure they get it right or provide a replacement boiler.

I believe the more Gas Safe / RGI's appear to be allowed to walk away from faulty appliances passing the responsibility to others will only cause further damage to the industry.

I also believe if the fault is found to in the boiler not the installation the manufacturer should be forced to compensate the RGI for all the time they must spend overseeing the manufacturers representatives or installing the replacement boiler.

Consequences appear to have flown out the window just as fast as part qualified RGI's were coming in the door, the manufacturers are equally responsible by introducing appliances that are supposed to be almost self installing where the gas side is concerned.

I believe the person responsible to ensure this boiler is working properly should be the original installer.

Passing responsibility in the manner described is in my view not acceptable, by all means call the manufacturers tech support in to rectify the problem but stay to make sure they get it right or provide a replacement boiler.

I believe the more Gas Safe / RGI's appear to be allowed to walk away from faulty appliances passing the responsibility to others will only cause further damage to the industry.

I also believe if the fault is found to in the boiler not the installation the manufacturer should be forced to compensate the RGI for all the time they must spend overseeing the manufacturers representatives or installing the replacement boiler.

Consequences appear to have flown out the window just as fast as part qualified RGI's were coming in the door, the manufacturers are equally responsible by introducing appliances that are supposed to be almost self installing where the gas side is concerned.

Sorry disagree with you regarding the installer if they have done an appropriate commission regarding to boiler MI's and its working accordingly at that point in time then what more should they do? They were called back on appliance which they revisited and they issue did not arise on return visit.The manufacturer arrived under warranty and the issue arised during visit which they recognised as their manufacture problem .
This issue still persists so again its manufacture issue which goes to back to cust to organsie problem .

Another note i notice some advice given on this thread in open forum probably more suited to gsr only

Another note i notice some advice given on this thread in open forum probably more suited to gsr only

I agree, I've edited a few posts as too much information given. I understand you're trying to help here but please be aware of the forum rules.

Dirk. I am warning you once and once only. We have a duty of care to prevent have a go heroes from killing themselves. This includes posting what you believe to be helpful. I don't disagree with your prognosis, it sounds feasible. But people may come along after and attempt the repair of their own boilers.

Now, please, read the forum FAQs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Just for completion, and to have this archived...
Replies
Views
Yep that uses the ideal valves common issue...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
H
Prob blocked / frozen condense pipe does it...
Replies
Views
Hope with your case you reported it to trading...
Replies
Views
Back