new boiler illegal ??? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new boiler illegal ??? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seniorminnion

Just had a boiler fitted -- asked for and was told it would be a main class A boiler. Plumber still has a couple of small jobs ( move rads etc) to do and I offered him payment but he said he would wait til the whole job was done.Once he left I noticed the boiler he fitted was a main HE30 - which is not a class A boiler -- and not he main ECO 30 he said he'd install

- What would you recommend I do now ---- either not pay him the full amount ? - or tell him to remove the boiler he's installed and replace it with what he said he would install - namely a class A boiler !!

( he's going to ring to supposedly sort out a time to finish other work etc.. )

Last edited by a moderator:
originally just spoke to plumber over the phone ------ he called when I was at work --- showed wife his gas safe card etc... I later spoke to him on phone and he assured me it would be a band A boiler - even said the name Main ECO 30 !

i would ask the plumber to check the boiler he has fitted it could be a simple mistake. but obviously it will have to be change as it is a band b boiler and they were banned from being fitting in from october last year, but then given til april so suppliers could get rid of band b stock. so as from april 2011 all band b boiler are banned, Only A rated Boilers can be fitted

is it a combi boiler ?
The Main 30HE heat only is band A, Main combi 30HE is band B

Technically illegal to fit and fair bit cheaper than the Eco to purchase.
The boiler is in place so upto you where you go from here. If you are happy with the install you are entitled to request removal and fitting of a compliant boiler or you may turn a blind eye and agree a reasonable discount.

Definately a Main Combi HE -----------just a bit miffed off with it all TBH - I hate any sort of confrontation and he seemed a decent bloke but first thing on the morning he came he even said the supplier had sent him the wrong boiler ! ----now that I've started to look closely at his work- the condensate drain pipe is just going straight through the garage wall into a flowerbed ?? ( it would appear to have to go to a drain at least - as the boiler manual even says !)

You'll want to get that condense pipe sorted.

You've got many options.

Have you checked his gas safe?

You could have a free gas safety inspection?

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he might be planning to put a small soakaway in for the condensate ? (one of the small jobs he has left to finish off)

he might be planning to put a small soakaway in for the condensate ? (one of the small jobs he has left to finish off)

Sorry didn't. Read it throughly

If he has some jobs left. Give him the benefit of the doubt til he's done

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he may have made a mistake or the supplier has and that conden pipe needs sorting if it were my choice i would stick with the band b its more reliable than the band a

No -he showed me the condensate pipe (lagged) and said to make sure the bottom of it didn't get accidentally blocked with soil/ leaves etc.. - so he obviously doesn't intend to do anything else with that ! ( and there's already a waste hole leading to an outside drain about 5 ft from the boiler where a sink used to be !)

Agree with gasman. Give him a chance to tie up loose ends, agree a discount etc. job done.

Just worried about warranty/ legality if anything goes wrong - or try to sell house etc.. if that particular boiler is illegal to fit then won't any surveyor pick it up ?

Unless the installer backdates the certificate then yes the whole lot sounds suspect

well I've just double checked his gas safe registration via website since I didn't actually see his credentials - and he's there - so once I speak to him I'll let you know the outcome ---- not looking forward to it !

this miky mouse games are ruin people trust with us ,and make all public be very suspicious when it comes to plumbers

As already mentioned you should contact Gas Safe (phone 0800 408 5500) and arrange a free inspection. Anything not meeting current regulations or not installed to manufacturer's specification will have to be corrected.

Its a bit slack really, the condensate shouldn't be a problem to be done right to start with !

the best thing the op can do is post up some photos here so we can see what sort of jobs been done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
D
Although, I believe, fitting your own boiler –...
Replies
Views
L
Reading between the lines, are the RGIs on...
Replies
Views
Back