new boiler illegal ??? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new boiler illegal ??? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
the boiler itself seems fine ---- the condensate pipe goes straight out under the boiler through the garage wall then down outside into a soil flower bed ---- lagged and ends a couple of inches above the soil !!

The installer must of purchased the boiler before april 2011 or the supplier is at fault for supplying it, The condensate should ideally terminate internally, into a soakaway or to a drain! Where have you got the boiler model number from? Might be an idea to actually check the boiler data plate itself!

thats not true you can still buy class b boilers its the fitter who has to comply not the retailer unless something has changed they can still be used in commercial places

the model no. isfrom the boiler itself and the installation and service pack etc that comes with it

- in the installation instructions it states --

" The condensate outlet should generally discharge into the household drainage system. If this is not possible discharge into an outside drain is acceptable "

- so as well as installing an 'illegal' boiler - then that part of the install is wrong as well ????

posting some pictures would be great, we could then advise you better on your situation.

pictures of what ? -- like I said earlier - the situation of the boiler is fine - its just the type of boiler ! as for the condensate pipe - it would seem that he just wanted to save himself 20 minutes work taking the pipework around 8ft of garage wall and out via a hole that is already in the wall ( in fact the plastic waste is still there too leading to an outside drain from an old belfast type sink that was previously there - I just cut the old waste off flush with the wall and left it )

just got through to plumber and he was full of apologies - he says he'll simply swap it for an eco 30 no trouble. Whether he was trying to pull a fast one or not , I'm not convinced it was an honest mistake since on the morning he did the work he said he was running late because the supplier sent the wrong boiler - that would make me think he knew exactly what he was installing !
- still - worry over for now without any unpleasantness with a trader , which I didn't want.
( I'm leaving the condensate pipe query until he comes when I'll politely point out the instructions ?) ----- thanks to you all for the advice ! !

pictures of what ? -- like I said earlier - the situation of the boiler is fine - its just the type of boiler ! as for the condensate pipe - it would seem that he just wanted to save himself 20 minutes work taking the pipework around 8ft of garage wall and out via a hole that is already in the wall ( in fact the plastic waste is still there too leading to an outside drain from an old belfast type sink that was previously there - I just cut the old waste off flush with the wall and left it )

tell you why we want photos your not a installer we are you come on here looking for advice but we can only go on what your telling us a picture paints a thousand words

thanks gasman - sorry I wasn't being rude - If I knew how to post a pic I would - Ill get one of the condensing waste and maybe one of the kids can help me !

good to know the boiler is being sorted, make sure you get the benchmark filled out in the back of the boilers instructions and remind him/her that the boiler must be registered.

as reguard the condense the water from the condense is slightly acidic which may kill your plants dependant on what they are, make sure its sorted out and he runs it to the drain or put ins a soakaway.

i thought this site was for GSR engineers only obviously not or am i missing something ?

this is in the central heating forum tho gasmarc, not the gsr only forum. hth

What a geezer the fitter is,

Made a mistake on the boiler (benefit of the doubt, we all deserve that) disgruntled customer. No argument new boiler to be fitted, no doubt the condensate will be sorted as well. Yeah he may have been a bit lazy there.

I don't think he was trying to rip off the customer because when he was offered money he said no, wait till the job is complete.

No arguments or bad feeling, result all round.

yes - I was thinking he was an ok bloke when he refused part payment til the job was done - so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt !
will be glad when it's all sorted !
( one query I have is why are those band B boilers still for sale if they're illegal for a gas safe engineer to fit ?)

It is not illegal to sell or buy a band b boiler, just not legal to fit one in line with current regulations.

for a layman that doesn't appear to make any sense at all ?? - That's a bit like saying a certain make and model of car is legal to sell or own - but it will never be capable of passing an MOT therefore there's little point in owning one unless you're going to drive it illegally ?
AS I understand it, makers and fitters had from Oct last year til April this year to fit/ sell remaining stock and then there shouldn't be any of new band B boilers left on the market ?

for a layman that doesn't appear to make any sense at all ?? - That's a bit like saying a certain make and model of car is legal to sell or own - but it will never be capable of passing an MOT therefore there's little point in owning one unless you're going to drive it illegally ?
AS I understand it, makers and fitters had from Oct last year til April this year to fit/ sell remaining stock and then there shouldn't be any of new band B boilers left on the market ?

The word illegal is so strong

I wouldn't say it was illegal. I would say that it's not to current standards. You can't go to prison for this but I suppose youd get a good rollicking off gas safe for fitting it

If it was my boiler my biggest concern would be the condense terminating close to my house

I've seen condense eat thru concrete in no tine atall

It's reported in Germany that some of the older condensing boilers with incorrect termination are causing subsidence due to them eating away at the foundations

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The word illegal is so strong

I wouldn't say it was illegal. I would say that it's not to current standards. You can't go to prison for this but I suppose youd get a good rollicking off gas safe for fitting it

If it was my boiler my biggest concern would be the condense terminating close to my house

I've seen condense eat thru concrete in no tine atall

It's reported in Germany that some of the older condensing boilers with incorrect termination are causing subsidence due to them eating away at the foundations

---

brilliant simonjohns lol you tryin to keep this bloke up all night with worry ,he,s worried enough as it is ,lol as gasman says band b better boiler all day long plus you could always say its been in the garage waiting to be fitted problem solved and gaurentee ok

i would ask the plumber to check the boiler he has fitted it could be a simple mistake. but obviously it will have to be change as it is a band b boiler and they were banned from being fitting in from october last year, but then given til april so suppliers could get rid of band b stock. so as from april 2011 all band b boiler are banned, Only A rated Boilers can be fitted
It was no mistake he broke the law, give him the same respect he gave you; tell him they are illegal; if he doesnt change it inform Gas safe. Be interesting to see if his card is in date. I cannot tolerate dishonesty...especially with a smle

Be interesting to see if his card is in date.

He's already checked his gas safe Reg

---

brilliant simonjohns lol you tryin to keep this bloke up all night with worry ,he,s worried enough as it is ,lol as gasman says band b better boiler all day long plus you could always say its been in the garage waiting to be fitted problem solved and gaurentee ok

The boilers has been installed 20 odd years. I'm sure 2 weeks won't do anything

---

Really. Peoples foundations are failing because of a dripping condensate. I'm sorry but I find that practically impossible to believe. I'm not calling you a liar, I'd just question your source there.

Concrete foundations, erroding from something that's about as acidic as lemon juice/vinegar. Yeah, maybe in about 500 years.

Really. Peoples foundations are failing because of a dripping condensate. I'm sorry but I find that practically impossible to believe. I'm not calling you a liar, I'd just question your source there.

Concrete foundations, erroding from something that's about as acidic as lemon juice/vinegar. Yeah, maybe in about 500 years.

http://www.modbs.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/6031/Practise_safe_condensate_handling.html have a read

---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
D
Although, I believe, fitting your own boiler –...
Replies
Views
L
Reading between the lines, are the RGIs on...
Replies
Views
Back