new boiler illegal ??? | Boilers | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new boiler illegal ??? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll get a few photos of installs I've seen that are only a year old

You'd be very surprised

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just a final post from me ----- plumber came back and finished the job!
- he changed the boiler and re-routed the condensate drain -obviously wasn't best pleased about it though !
- he said that everywhere still sold the class B boilers and that he wouldn't have got into any trouble with gas safe for fitting it ! ( he didn't have any real answers when I pointed out to him that he shouldn't be fitting them after April this year !
- as for the condensate - he really tried to bluff his way through that one. Even the manual for the new boiler had diagrams showing how it should be done. He even tried to tell me that a soakaway was just what leaving the pipework to run into an ordinary flower bed was. I told him that was not correct and a soakaway was a purpose built 'hole' filled with chippings etc and it should be at least 300mm away from any outside wall --- and in any case I wanted it run to the nearest outside drain. HE sort of shrugged and said 'if that's what you want but it's not really necessary !' - His work seems fine - but I'm convinced he was trying to rip me off - and I won't be using him again !

Last edited by a moderator:
seniorminnionn, I would say, as long as you are happy with the quality of workmanship, like you said pay him but don't use him again (always your choice).

From the sound of it he is a good engineer just not up to date with the current regulations (and lets face it , they do change daily).

He could have put this boiler in last week and , next week regulations change and its out of date!

As for the condensate, yes it will eat metal and concrete but it only has the same ph as tomato ketchup and I have seen what it can do to a concrete path after a couple of years.

Damaging but not catastrophic and certainly not enough to undermine a house.

It's beyond me how anyone can condone this action? The bloke was a chancer who should be up to date with the regulations of his chosen profession

Why defend such people? If he didn't fit the condensate correctly do you think he bothered to check the gas pipe sizing or gas rate? I doubt it. These individuals are responsible for our industry's terrible reputation and undercut those of us who are working to a high standard.

i wouldnt be suprised if condensate done that type of damage, water does damage over time. As said before get gas safe out for a free inspection make sure things are done properly

Armourer.... it wasn't you was it???
leave it lie lads armourer i think was just giving a IMHO,as for condensate damage yes its crap,really tat work to take it to a flower bed full rough stuff,but its outside,the rain we get will neutralize it enough biggest concern should be freezing ,at the end of the day this is a forum,lots of different views

Get off your high horses you two.

If you read back through the OP,s answers he does state he was happy with the workmanship, the engineer apologised and refused part payment and returned immediately to rectify the faults.
It does not seem like we should be getting Dominic Almond on his back just yet?

As I said his work is not up to current standards and he has lost the customers faith so wont be used again.

What I was not doing is scaring the OP to death how his house was going to fall down because if an incorrectly terminated condensate.

Oh and Btw.................No it was not me or anyone I know :)

I agree with yourself Armourer. While the situation can be classed as "illegal" its not exactly the naughtiest thing we'll see in our working life.

My take on stuff like this is just people who do it carry on, it'll catch up with them in the end and they won't get work anymore. I think there's too much to worry about in this job without worrying about what other people are doing. I just concentrate on me and my life and just make sure that me and the people that matter are ok, the rest will take care of its self.

I'm not condoning what the bloke did, buts it done, been rectifyed and all is well. Ok he shouldn't have done it, but with the hit he's taken on this job I very much doubt he will do it again as once your hit in the pocket you'll soon change your ways. Plus he won't get any return work from this job that work will go to a decent bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
D
Although, I believe, fitting your own boiler –...
Replies
Views
L
Reading between the lines, are the RGIs on...
Replies
Views
Back